Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie at a crossroads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Default Newbie at a crossroads

Hello all, newbie here. I purchased a Maxstone 8 last month and have been crawling over anything possible. Naturally I wanted to upgrade the stock 12Turn motors with some Axial 27Turn motors. I was very happy with change in power, but quickly noticed the popping sound of my transmission gears rounding off. I searched the Forums and found Integy has some alloy gears for the IROCK, which appears to be the same at the Maxstone 8. However they rarely have them in stock, and the price will be around $100.00 for a complete set. I have seen the RC4WD Super Bully Comp Axle with Knuckles for about the same price. (The price would be double with both front and rear) Would this be complete overkill? Are they as good as they look. I have been unable to find reviews. I also have seen some used axles for the Exceed Mad Torque both front and rear for this same price. I read they have metal gears. I just would like something reliable that I will not have to worry about later. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

Thanks for your time
Verewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Newbie at a crossroads

Don't bother with integy worst company to deal with on warranty issues. RC4wd is by far easier to deal with and a better company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timgreen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

I have noticed some people saying the same thing about lntegy poor customer service. I did notice many items on RC4WD are discontinued. If I was to purchase an Axle that has been discontinued and have some gears break later on, am I just screwed?
Verewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The stock Maxstone 8 motors are not 12 turn, they are are at least 55 if not higher. That being said the popping sounds you heard were due to the increase in speed with the new motors which produced more heat and since there was no grease in them they went bye bye. I ran stock gears for 2 years but I stuffed them with grease on day one and kept to a high turn motor. I agree that Integy can be a pain to deal with and there quality on some items are sub par but for some items they are ok. If you can afford to buy the Super Bully 2 axles then go for it. Most of the items that I have seen in RC4WD that are discontinued are items that have become outdated due to improved technology.
WARNING: If you buy the Bullys you will soon want to change the chassis, then the servos, better wheels and tires, new links, ect all in the pursuit of making your crawler better. So welcome to the slippery slope that is the RC world!
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bully comp, maxstone 8, stripped gears

Newbie at a crossroads - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawling in Carbes crossroads. Satheddal South Carolina 2 06-14-2014 08:47 AM
A day at Carnes Crossroads.. JpSonoma South Carolina 5 05-29-2014 07:30 PM
Carnes crossroads Arock87 South Carolina 8 03-30-2014 08:32 PM
Carnes Crossroads 01/05/2014 Video to come Fritzn19 South Carolina 5 01-09-2014 01:05 PM
newbie in need of help!!!!!!!! IDnewcrwlr Tamiya CR-01 14 02-09-2009 07:41 AM