Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scratch Build Starting Point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Default Scratch Build Starting Point

Over this last weekend I got massively addicted to r/c crawling, playing with my friends axial for Hours!
I know I'm gonna want the good stuff, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a truck just to throw away most of it.
So, unless this is a Bad idea, I'm trying to scratch build a decent crawler.
I can make my own frame (similar to the old scorpion(?)) and several other parts.
I think a good starting point would be axles?
I found some cool built aluminum axles for a SCX10 on ebay but I'm not really sure what I should get, and it doesn't look like they have high steer anyways...
help?
NOLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scratch Build Starting Point

I applaud your enthusiasm

Start on paper, put a list together of the parts you want that you can't build...along with prices. When I first started crawling I wanted the same thing and I tried to keep it under 1K. I ended up spending about 1.5k...but I wanted the top of the line stuff (VP, Robinson, etc.). It was a Wreckluse so the chassis wasn't cheap...not like scx10 rails, shock hoops and braces anyway. I have a build thread "Clanker's Wrecluse" if you want to see.

Clanker's Wreckluse

Plan it out and purchase your stuff with some thought behind it...do a build thread and people will chime in with suggestions....

Best of luck NOLB....welcome to the addiction
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Owch!
I took a look at your thread, I don't really care about all the scaling stuff.. I just want it to go over stuff ;)
So hopefully my total will be lower haha
I think if I can get a pair of axles I can start deciding where mounts can go, where drive shafts will land and then where the transmission has to sit etc.
Would these be a good axle for that purpose??

Last edited by NOLB; 09-01-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Lol, the cost wasn't because of the scale items...the high end components that are the AR60 (wraith) axels would add up to about what you would pay for those axles you linked on eBay. I've never heard of those by the way...you need to be cautious of cheap Chinese knock offs, especially gears. Axial gears are your best bet if you're wanting wraith axles. Aluminum housings are nice, but certainly not necessary.

Ultimately, it's up to you of course, but if you've never built a rig before, you might want to consider buying a kit and then modifying it to your liking. Otherwise you're going to struggle and have a ton of questions. If you've built rigs, or 1:1s then you have a shot at geometries and such. You WILL spend more if you build from scratch even if you know what you're doing. This hobby is not easy on your wallet either way you approach it.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #5

I was only looking at those axles because they are 70$ more than the all plastic axles. Did find some saying cappu is good.
You're probably right.. I just don't want to fork out so much at once for a kit :(
maybe I'll just save for xmas ;)
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think you'd be better off bud

Do yourself a favor and buy a star on this site and you can see the for sale section. There's some good deals in there. $20 well spent

When you get there, I'll be glad to help.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Recommend starting with a good used RTR, like an AX10, SCX10, Deadbolt or Wraith. This will allow you to see how things are supposed to work, get a good idea about the geometries, then apply what you have learned to your custom build.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Clanker has hit the nail on the head, Get yourself a star, as most of the people selling on here have been around the forest a few times so to speak. You should be able to pick up a well built set of axles for a good price. I built a bully a few years back and I bought good parts from good people and I think I managed it all for less than $700. This site is well worth the $20.00.. Plus, a bonus of LOTS of good info..
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

I'll start looking for a used rig, can someone explain what a star is though?
My buddy got a used scorpion for 180 bucks.. is that common?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

A star allows you to use the for sale and wtb plus a couple others, also you can enter the prize drawings when they have them. Plussss, it helps support the site and keep it going.
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Check out all the info on getting a star here.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/payments.php
DeviousPixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Proverbial threadkiller

Star information can be found under User CP (control panel)> paid subscriptions.

Star info

As far as a scratch build, that's what I did with JUNKFOOT. Motor, chassis, and servo I bought new, but all else was sourced out of the classifieds, or out of my own inventory. Final cost wound up at $550ish. Personally, I think I could've done as well or better by modding an RTR, but for that build I had a custom skidplate designed that I wanted to use. Not sayin' the money wasn't important, it just wasn't the primary objective.

While I do encourage the buying of the star, I've had a massive amount of bad luck in the classifieds. So, buyer beware.

Scratch building is kinda fun, though. You get to learn a lot, at any rate. Best of luck, Dude.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLB View Post
I'll start looking for a used rig, can someone explain what a star is though?
My buddy got a used scorpion for 180 bucks.. is that common?
By purchasing a star, even the budget friendly $20 green one ( like mine), you help to support this site and you gain access to the classified section where there are always great bargains to be found.

You don't necessarily need the best upgrades to get started, you will be amazed at how much abuse the stock plastic AX-10 axles can take. Search around and pick up items when you see them. Many times you can find a SCX-10 rolling chassis for cheap. These use the same axles and transmission as the AX-10, and since you want to build your own chassis, you will have the basic parts for your crawler.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #14

I still really want to make my own stuff, I can plasma cut the chassis and turn/bend my own links. All I'd need for the chassis would be axles/tires and then on to tranny and electronics.. all of which I should be able to base on the axle location and wheel base?
If someone can set me up with what axles I should use I could even copy someones scorpion chassis.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #15

Axial ax10 rc rock crawler
I just talked him down to 160, good deal??
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I would pay 100$ for that just to use the axles, rims and transmission....its the older stuff so I would have to replace some of it with new design parts. If you're willing to drop 160$, thats what its worth. for 160$ I would want it to come with a body and radio, ready to drive.

have you seen that crawler in person? Do you know if anything internally is damaged? How much run time is on it? Electronics about to die, glitching, limited performance? Are the bearings worn out? When was it rebuilt? does it have any upgrades? How hard did the original owner drive it? All things to consider when buying older/used equipment.

For 160, you can get a good start on your own rig and know the condition of it. But understand this, you're going to spend AT LEAST 500$ to have something you can take out and play with and not worry about parts breaking....its the little things that add up fast.

Last edited by redsawacs; 09-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #17

Well I probably won't be starting for a while.. I'll post when I can afford to get started :P

Scratch Build Starting Point - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting from scratch, need a little helo dhall1591 Newbie General 2 10-31-2013 05:05 PM
Starting from scratch ? Bananaclip General Scale Talk 6 11-13-2010 04:09 PM
starting a build from scratch fstrnu Newbie General 2 11-27-2009 10:28 AM
Starting From Scratch (ARTR Kit) Build DrewGzy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 10-10-2008 10:13 AM