Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Crawler Rookie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Crawler Rookie

Been out the RC hobby for lots of years (Gold RC10). Thinking a crawler would be a fun way to go, however, I am a total rookie. There is so much great info to sift through (some is years old or above my head), I want to make sure I am somewhere near the right track. Here's where I have ended up and could use any suggestions, pointers or redirections.

Want a RTR to start with; something I can stick a battery in and crawl/trail...with that being said, I know my obsessive personality will quickly look for upgrades.

Really like the Axial Wraith "Jeep Wrangler Poison Spyder" or similar. Is this the right choice, is there something better for a rook, maybe the Losi "Night Crawler" or something else.

What batteries would you suggest? Charger? Other must haves to so start? Don't have a local shop so relying on all your help...know I appreciate your time helping me out!
UNIDEKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Crawler Rookie

Gold pan. Cool.

Buy an Axial that you like. You will spend some more money. Have a great time. It is, in fact, as simple as that.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There's a bunch of good information on here, just look through some different sections like Axial wraith then axial scx10 You'll learn about each one then you can choose what you want. For battery I just run a 5000mah 2s dynamite battery in my scx10, works good for me. My opinion max amps are cool and all but I don't think its worth it for the price. Hope that helps a little.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

First off welcome.

Since you are inquiring what batteries and charger. I would recommend something inexpensive to start with in case you lose interest. Go with Lipo (research safety) and you need a lipo compatible charger.

Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Batteries--- Hobbypartz,Hobbyking, and Valuehobby 2s or 3s and at least 30c or higher

upgrades--------RPP Hobby

Posion Spyder= Crawler/basher type
Scx10 versions= Crawler/scaler type

Last edited by Wade; 09-01-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIDEKE View Post
Been out the RC hobby for lots of years (Gold RC10). Thinking a crawler would be a fun way to go, however, I am a total rookie. There is so much great info to sift through (some is years old or above my head), I want to make sure I am somewhere near the right track. Here's where I have ended up and could use any suggestions, pointers or redirections. Want a RTR to start with; something I can stick a battery in and crawl/trail...with that being said, I know my obsessive personality will quickly look for upgrades. Really like the Axial Wraith "Jeep Wrangler Poison Spyder" or similar. Is this the right choice, is there something better for a rook, maybe the Losi "Night Crawler" or something else. What batteries would you suggest? Charger? Other must haves to so start? Don't have a local shop so relying on all your help...know I appreciate your time helping me out!
Welcome. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. I also just got back into it earlier this year after decades being out. I have both a Wraith and an SCX10, and I like both a lot for different reasons. One big difference to keep in mind is that the SCX10 platform is much, much easier to work on. 4 clips gets the entire body off, and everything is very accessible from there. With the Wraith, you have to get to some things by dropping the skid plate (8 screws stock, but I leave 4 of them out to make it easier to get to) and other things by taking off various parts of the body (which is all screws unless you do the hood hinge mod). If you're thinking Wraith, it's worth a look at the Yeti. Much more capable out of the box, and seems to be much easier to work on due to the hinged body. If I had to choose just one, it would probably by SCX10 due to the ease of tinkering, lots of upgrade options, wide variety of scale-looking bodies, and ability to get it to be nearly as capable as a Wraith. Regardless of what you choose, there's tons of fun to be had and lots of tinkering you'll be able to do. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Hey, thanks for the welcome and info so far; just what I am looking for! Funny the SCX10 came up...I like the idea of a scaled model rather than a basher. The real purpose, at least initially, is to get something to run with minimal set-up and like many suggest, set a monthly MOD budget.

So, the SCX10 has moved to the top of the list, with the Wraith of course, but thinking to start with the SCX10 is the way to go.

@new2rocks- any pics of your rig?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the welcome and info so far; just what I am looking for! Funny the SCX10 came up...I like the idea of a scaled model rather than a basher. The real purpose, at least initially, is to get something to run with minimal set-up and like many suggest, set a monthly MOD budget. So, the SCX10 has moved to the top of the list, with the Wraith of course, but thinking to start with the SCX10 is the way to go. @new2rocks- any pics of your rig?
Here are a few, with some of my Wraith, Gelande and Cr-01 FJ40 mixed in (just to give you an idea of how quickly you can fall into the abyss...):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122939...ellaneousRCPix
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

@new2rocks Awesome, just awesome!

Looking at the SCX10, seems to be several different kits available...really looking for a RTR kit...thoughts on that? Still have the option to upgrade bodies, etc with a RTR?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #9

I have both a wraith and SCX-10, the wraith will pretty well crawl anything that you put to it with some upgrades. The SCX-10 is more of a challenge as you have to think about your lines since you have smaller tires, not as much ground clearance and what always gets me is the crappy turning radius. (My first upgrade to the SCX-10) But Axial is the way to go especially for the RTR.
xtremeaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Been out the RC hobby for lots of years (Gold RC10).
Gold tub, huh?
I have the TQ-10 put out by Horizon Hobby. Same small, blocky suspension arms, same 6 gear trans, but with a laminated 'graphite' chassis.
IIRC, the following year Associated intro'd the RC-10G with the longer arms everybody was putting on anyway (Andy's, was it?), had their new (3-gear) Stealth trans, and a woven graphite chassis.
Still hanging onto that goofy-looking 2PB radio I have with it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIDEKE
What batteries would you suggest? Charger? Other must haves to so start? Don't have a local shop so relying on all your help...know I appreciate your time helping me out!
Your call (obviously), but I like the SCX platform better, myself. All my experience so far has been with the Scorpion/SCX drivetrain. I have no experience with the Wraith/Ridgecrest equipment. They're both excellent platforms, I don't think there's really a wrong way to go. Pick whichever you like the looks of.

(Mod. #1, IMO)
I personally think Axial has their stuff over-geared from the factory. If it were me, when I picked up the truck, I'd also buy a 14 or 16 tooth pinion gear (assuming 48 pitch, which I believe SCXs to be. Not sure if Wraiths are 32 pitch or 48,). Top speeds may not be overly impressive (fast walk/slight jog on 3S), but to the other end of it, I don't burn out motors.

(Mod. #2, IMO)
I cannot strongly enough recommend the Castle Creations external BEC, (as well as the CastleLink to adjust voltage). If you're willing to get your BEC from Holmes Hobbies, right on the page where you order it, there's a drop-down menu for what voltage you'd like it set to (on a stock truck, 6.0v). Holmes also has something called a Receiver Bypass Adapter, which I also highly encourage you to get.
(Creationfab also offered these products and services at one time, check there too.)

(Mod#3, IMO)
Batteries are going to depend on which of the two Mods above you're willing to do. If you're willing to do the external BEC, then I feel you should be good-to-go with 3S LiPo. If you're not willing to do the BEC, I'd say stick with 2S.
If you're willing to gear down from stock, then you can likely get away with smaller mAh, and C numbers. If you're going to run it on stock gears, don't be afraid to buy the most milliamps and highest C numbers you can afford. All my crawler batts are G-Force, from Valuehobby, down in IL. (also most reasonable place I've found for prices on charging sacks)

Chargers......... my venerable old Onyx 230 might not be one of the greatest chargers out there, but it's been simple enough for me to learn on, and 100% reliable. (the 235 has an internal balancer, if that matters to you)

That's about all I got. Ask if there's anything else we can clear up for ya.

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
@new2rocks Awesome, just awesome! Looking at the SCX10, seems to be several different kits available...really looking for a RTR kit...thoughts on that? Still have the option to upgrade bodies, etc with a RTR?
Changing bodies would be the same on RTRs as it is on the kit version. If you're going RTR, I'd suggest the new G6 or Deadbolt, because they have a new, waterproofed ESC and a stronger servo (which isn't waterproofed) than the other RTR versions, which are older. The Casey Currie edition looks cool, but the light bar is actually very flimsy and it has the older gen ESC, which doesn't hold up so well. Regardless of which you choose, the basic mods for durability will be the same. Metal links, new shocks, hardened lockers/ring/pinion, steel driveshafts, and hardened tranny gears are highly recommended for durability. After that, you can start looking at wheels/tires/foams, motor, servo, ESC, switching to 3s, etc. There's really no end to it.

If you haven't completely ruled out a kit version, it's worth a look. All of the kits except the Dingo come with aluminum lower links, aluminum steering/drag links, and aluminum bodied Icon shocks, which are much more durable than the RTR versions. All in, you'll spend more on a kit than with the RTR out of the box, but your costs on the RTR if you start modding will very quickly catch up. The builds on these aren't too complex and can be done within a week on an hour or two a day.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

The SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Falken RTR has the newer ESC as listed below...it talks about 3S LiPo capability. I was planning to start with 2S LiPos; is there any problem with doing that or should I be looking at 3S batteries to start?

AE-5 ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER: The Axial AE-5 ESC is 3S LiPo capable yet easily switched “in the field” between LiPO and NiMh battery types with a simple jumper – no more complex procedures.
• Jumper 1 provides a simple plug and play choice between LiPo or NiMh.
• Jumper 2 switches Drag Brake settings.
• Waterproof design with waterproof On/Off switch / standard plug / laser etched heat sink

Sorry for the rookie questions. Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That is a perfect truck to start with. Just pick the one you like best and go! That's it really, they are all basically the same so really you are just wasting valuable play time!! There is the same aftermarket stuff for all the axial trucks so you are covered from bumper to bumper. Have fun
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
The SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Falken RTR has the newer ESC as listed below...it talks about 3S LiPo capability. I was planning to start with 2S LiPos; is there any problem with doing that or should I be looking at 3S batteries to start?

AE-5 ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER: The Axial AE-5 ESC is 3S LiPo capable yet easily switched “in the field” between LiPO and NiMh battery types with a simple jumper – no more complex procedures.
• Jumper 1 provides a simple plug and play choice between LiPo or NiMh.
• Jumper 2 switches Drag Brake settings.
• Waterproof design with waterproof On/Off switch / standard plug / laser etched heat sink

Sorry for the rookie questions. Thanks in advance for advice.
Just trying to figure out a few last minute things:

Will this 2s battery work: Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): GForce 30C 5200mAh 2S 7.4V Car LiPO (T Connector)

Also, haven't been able to find which connecter the SCX10 G6 Falken uses. I want to make sure to get the right plug, etc. Don't want to be sidelined by a little issue like that.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Deans plugs are pretty commonly used. I think they come standard with tamaya plugs I would recommend dean's edit according to that pic on their website it looks like its already set up for deans

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler Rookie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rookie ski29mike 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 03-15-2013 09:54 PM
My Rookie Build Rokcrler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 05-29-2011 08:24 PM
Questions from a rookie rgf27 Newbie General 4 06-16-2006 09:17 AM
My low budget rookie crawler project Zombie76 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 51 11-07-2005 07:14 PM