Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My low budget rookie crawler project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My low budget rookie crawler project

This is what I have so far after some hacking and drilling.

Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

yep. A few people here including me have done that setup
rcbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Here's a couple updated mockup pics.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks like a great project. Thumbs up to those that can work on a dime and little tools. I look forward to the end product.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
Looks like a great project. Thumbs up to those that can work on a dime and little tools. I look forward to the end product.

-Sam
Thanks, man. I've spent a few bucks, but I was lucky enough to score some awesome deals. I picked up the TLT-1 used for $63 shipped. It was only built and run once or twice, so it was like new. I sold the parts I didn't need, so I paid about $30 for the axles and stuff in the end. I should have a rolling chassis sometime next week if things go as planned. I'll be sure to post some new pics.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks like you will be pounding down the trails in no time.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Not much of an update, but here are my axles. I used a Stampede steering link for a rear lockout.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

put your steering link on top of the knuckles...this will keep them from getting bent and beat up...also flip you knuckles in the rear you can still use your lock out and not have so much hangin in nowhere...great progress im doing the same set up for my son..they work awesome....
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo
put your steering link on top of the knuckles...this will keep them from getting bent and beat up...also flip you knuckles in the rear you can still use your lock out and not have so much hangin in nowhere...great progress im doing the same set up for my son..they work awesome....
I'm screwing with them now. I need to change some hardware around. I'm having issues with the tires being balanced, but I guess it doesn't really matter if you're not going fast.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You did a real nice job with the spur slot. Most people have nasty hacked stock chassis', but you did very well. What links are you running?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
You did a real nice job with the spur slot. Most people have nasty hacked stock chassis', but you did very well. What links are you running?
Thanks, man. It's not perfect, but it didn't come out too bad. I should have drilled the upper link holes from the other side because I misfired on the first try. I'm running a Traxxas 106/96 setup. I ordered the 108s, but they say 106 on the package. Traxxas must have changed them. The steering links are the stock links with 3/16" brake line tubing over them.

I also updated the pictures of my axles to show that I changed them around to put everything on top.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

he he that setup looks awfully familiar... been there done that and moved on to a home made chassis. YES i didnt have to tell him to sleve his links cool lookin set up nice rim tire choice

One suggestion that i have found that works GREAT with that chassis and ELIMINATES torque twist that is to take your upper link mounts on your chassis and move them down like this....

This set up works great on that chassis and i still use it today on my home made chassis.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 10-14-2005 at 02:57 PM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

That TLT chassis is much more respectable after a little cutting and drilling. Cheap and effective - the best way to go. Nice work, good pics.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 10-14-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
he he that setup looks awfully familiar... been there done that and moved on to a home made chassis. YES i didnt have to tell him to sleve his links cool lookin set up nice rim tire choice

One suggestion that i have found that works GREAT with that chassis and ELIMINATES torque twist that is to take your upper link mounts on your chassis and move them down like this....

[snip]

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the tip. I'll bash this one around to learn with and then move up to something fancy.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
That TLT chassis is much more respectable after a little cutting and drilling. Cheap and effective - the best way to go. Nice work, good pics.
Thanks, man. Those are usually two words that don't go together when it comes to R/C, especially monster trucks.

I've yet to name this beast.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #16

Looks pretty good. Keep up the good work!
808TLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh

This set up works great on that chassis and i still use it today on my home made chassis.

Hope this helps...
And that setup looks awfully familiar. Jeeze, everyone is just copying off of everyone nowadays.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

PWT,

Theres only so much we can do... I guess eventually it will evolve... but what do you expect.

Nice truck, I agree for a stock chassis its cut really well. Very smooth and stock looking.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the comments. Here are some updated pics. I'm waiting on an order from Tower, so I'm down to just needing to mount the motor/spur/etc., shocks and the body. I'm considering filling in all the excess holes and painting the plates.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

goood u moved the links.... believe me i was havin tons of probs with the links really far apart...

One more suggestion... take your rear axle and rotate it to where the rear u joint it almost striaght when viewed from the side.... this will get the drive shaft up and out of the way... but dont do this so much for the front axle it will mess with ur steering.

sort of like this...
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote