Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Jeep squeaks when turning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Axial SCX10 Jeep squeaks when turning?

Hey guys, I just took my Axial Jeep out for the second time today, I have only driven through dirt and grass, and I noticed that there is a squeaking noise coming from what appears to be the right front wheel. If I lift the Jeep off of the ground and drive it, the noise subsides yet when i place it on the ground the it returns. This occurs primarily when I am traveling at top speeds and when I am turning. I have tried using WD40 on the drive shafts and any other moving part, aside from the motor, with limited success. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any advice? Thanks for the help!
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial SCX10 Jeep squeaks when turning?

Take the wheel off and have look at the bearing.

Might have to open up the axle housing and look at the inboard bearings too, but I don't like backing out screws into plastic too often.

There could also just be foreign debris in the outdrives at the dogbone (or CVD if you upgraded).
GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Are you sure it's coming from a particular corner of the truck? If it was new, squeaking after just a couple runs is unusual. and most common source of that is the drive shafts. and don't use WD-40 to lube stuff. Use a light oil actually made for lubricating. Give the drive shafts and front dogbones a little actual oil and then see if it's still doing it. Might be a bad bearing in the steering knuckle if it still persists.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Are you sure it's coming from a particular corner of the truck? If it was new, squeaking after just a couple runs is unusual. and most common source of that is the drive shafts. and don't use WD-40 to lube stuff. Use a light oil actually made for lubricating. Give the drive shafts and front dogbones a little actual oil and then see if it's still doing it. Might be a bad bearing in the steering knuckle if it still persists.

+1
Do not use WD-40 as a lubricant! WD-40 will actually break down grease. So, spraying WD-40 near or on your bearings will cause the grease in the bearings to break down and eventually leak out. WD-40 is more of a rust prevention, than a lubricant.

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I used standard cleaning oil on the bearings and the driveshaft which appeared to solve the problem. Thanks for the help!
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default Axial SCX10 Jeep squeaks when turning?

What I use to lube drive shaft joints, dog bones or really any metal to metal moving joint. I take regular 3 in 1 oil and put some in a medical syringe with a very small needle. That way I have a lot of control of how much oil I put on the joint with out making a mess of it or getting oil every where. I have been doing it this way for quit a while and have never had any problems with it. This is also how I re-oil bearings after I clean them if Its not the ones I pack with grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota2 View Post
... put some in a medical syringe with a very small needle. That way I have a lot of control of how much oil I put on the joint with out making a mess of it or getting oil every where.
Wow. I like that. Nice tip.
GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, squeaks, transmission, u joints

Axial SCX10 Jeep squeaks when turning? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM
Wraith squeaks jayross101 Axial Wraith 8 09-28-2012 03:53 AM
Axial scx10 honcho turning bigdoghayden General Crawlers 4 02-10-2011 04:01 PM
Help with axial scx10 turning bigdoghayden General Crawlers 5 02-10-2011 10:31 AM