Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to RC Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Default New to RC Cars

I'm looking at the Axial SCX10 kit. I'm new to RC cars & trucks. I'm thinking of buying a kit with the associated parts to go with the kit. I was thinking that putting the kit together would give me a chance to see how things work on the car and help me when I upgrade or repair in the future. I am retired and have plenty of time to assemble the kit. I would appreciate your opinions on how I should go, RTR or the kit. I have some experience with planes and scale models but no RC car experience.
Thanks, Jim
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to RC Cars

Hi i'm a little new into the hobby now, and glad i bought a kit instead of an RTR.

You have the option to choose the best parts and get to know your rig much better. : )
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

The rtr is a nice way to go because everything is included and usually you dont have to purchase anything else to get it running out of the box thus this would be the quickest way to have fun
however
the kits are also a nice way to go because you get to learn how it works and you also have the oppertunity to make it your own as you build it- putting different aftermarket parts on/custom parts of your choice

with that being said i personally would go with a kit over an rtr every time because i usally wind up pulling out most of the stock stuff and replacing it with my choice of parts, and stripping it down numerous times learning what makes it tick

but in the end its your choice of course
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My preference is kits.

My first scx10 was a kit, everyone since has been pieced together. Once you put one together you will want more, Lolo. Welcome to the addiction!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My first r/c was a Kit, and that memory is the best one to date after 18 years in the hobby. Hands down do the kit it will be the best 4-6 hours spent.

don't worry about rework you will not get docked for going backwards in the steps building your kit.
navyeoseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

the main differences between kits and rtrs are the electronics.
motor, servo, esc, bec (if you decide to use one), and of course
the transmitter/receiver. these too are the high dollar components.

will the esc handle lipos, 3s or even 4s lipos, with cutoff?
metal gears in the servo? high enough torque?
good motor? rebuildable?
will you end up with multiple cars? will you want one radio to
use on all or a radio for each? will you want extra channels
for 4wheelsteering? winches? two speed trannys?

this is a learning process. for a first rig, a rtr will probably be best
to let you get started playing but keep these questions in mind
when you start upgrading so you can shop smarter.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Two or three years ago, I would have recommended the SCX10 kits also. Now, I would go RTR. The older kits typically came with sum better equipment (full metal links, bead locks, tires) than the RTRs did but not as much now. Also, you get a body that is prepainted, eveything is put together, and you get to go out and drive it. From there, you can see what you like, don't like, and where you want to start making improvements.

My last purchase was a kit because I had the experience of running various SCX10 trucks all ready, had a bunch of the parts I was going to use, already had a spare radio, already picked up a hard body, and was basically using the kit for a parts bin. My next one will be a RTR because I will probably just buy it to drive with my son then replace a few minor piece here and there (ESC, Motor, and links)

Get the RTR and go have fun the first day. Break it, then fix it. You will still be running again faster than building a kit.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Kit all the way. Mostly because Axials RTR quality control is pretty lackluster. If you go RTR you'll end up pulling the truck apart to debur shock pistons so they don't stick, disasemble the trans and axles to torque check the small 2mm bolts holding the trans output together and holding the ring gear to the carrier. Plus, most people break the stock servo very quickly, and many of the newer RTR's come with a non-programmable ESC.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some 5x7x.1mm, 8x12x.1, and 10x12x.1 shims to take the slop out of the trans input shaft, output shaft, and axles ring/pinion. The gears and bearings will last longer and run smoother if you take the time to shim them to the minimal amount of backlash. Also pick up some 3x10 and 3x6 buttonhead machine screws so you don't have to use the stock self tapping screws for the knuckles/c-hubs. The self tappers tend to loosen up and fall out with alarming regularity.

If you can refrain from bolting in stupid amounts of power you'll be surprised at how durable a stock, carefully assembled, SCX is.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the hobby!

Congrats on wanting to get a hobby grade RC vehicle as opposed to a toy-store grade vehicle. Since you have the time and desire to "understand" the vehicle, I'd say to build a kit. I personally enjoying building more than the driving. You will fully understand how everything goes together and you will have the ability to pick and choose which components to use so that you will enjoy your time on the trail instead of having to fix the weak parts of the RTR version.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

kit all the way, that gives you a chance to learn you rig inside and out. plus you can modify as you go.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Get a kit. Most of us enjoy working on our crawlers almost as much as running them.
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #12

I am new to RC and recently got an RTR SCX10. I have been really happy with my choice.

I have kids that keep me busy so a kit would sit while the RTR got me going.
SunnyBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I deliberated more and went with the RTR Axial 10 SCX 2012 Jeep Rubicon. It was a hard choice but in the end I probably will be sharing the car with two grandsons and their patience is very short. I have a feeling more cars will be in my future, so I will have a chance for a kit as I learn more about the hobby.

Thanks again for your input.

Jim
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #14
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I deliberated more and went with the RTR Axial 10 SCX 2012 Jeep Rubicon. It was a hard choice but in the end I probably will be sharing the car with two grandsons and their patience is very short. I have a feeling more cars will be in my future, so I will have a chance for a kit as I learn more about the hobby.

Thanks again for your input.

Jim
awesome Jim, I do hope your grandsons and you have many awesome time playing with the rig..

I also got myself the RTR version, although along the way I end up changing things here and there to satisfy my curiosity... my todler would never let me sit and build a kit version
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the kit. I really enjoy building and making it look as clean as possible.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i have only been in the hobby for 19 months, i have 17 of these things now..the only thing left on my original rtr honcho are the chassis rails so go with the kit. i wish i would have now that i know how much i enjoy working on these!!
GEISSE-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

For a learning experience I would get the kit. When you get the kit you will usually get the alloy links which is a must have for crawling. I never built a kit myself but have restored and complete disassembled rc buggy and crawler. If you get the kit you will also get an idea of how long and hard it will be to grease the axle in the truck.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC Cars - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic cars and Japanese classic cars thecrusader Chit Chat 24 03-21-2015 08:43 PM
Let's see all your cars REVO of Rustler Non Crawler RC's 25 03-10-2009 07:35 PM
Slot Cars, Real Slot Cars Shaun Chit Chat 29 01-26-2008 02:59 AM