Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 AM   #1

Default Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

Hey guys, I'm new to the RC crawling scene and would like some help deciding between the two specifically the Vaterra Ascender K5 Blazer RTR or the Axial SCX10 Ram Power Wagon.

I initially bought some parts ahead of the rig itself. My charger is a skyrc imax b6ac v2 and batteries are turnigy nanotech 5800mah 2S 30-60C lipos. Was really for the scx10 then I saw my LHS also carried the Vaterra.

I would be using this mostly for trailing/bashing in my yard and nearby areas and don't really wanna join comps yet.

If I understand correctly, the Axial is the older of the two. So more parts support and it's a proven durable chassis. I'm just intrigued with the Vaterra since it looks way more scale, has higher ground clearance due to the smaller axles, and a sharper steering angle. If I do end up going the Vaterra route, will I have to buy the shorter batteries to fit the tray or is there a workaround to this? Should I go for the proven scaler in the scx10 or go for the newer ascender platform?

Last edited by goldcrow; 11-28-2015 at 05:10 AM.
goldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

Both are great platforms, but for the money, I think the Ascender is a much better value. It includes hardened tranny gears, CVDs, and all aluminum links, and the stock knuckles/chubs are much stronger than Axial's. 2-speed conversion is a nice option. Aftermarket parts support is picking up (SSD, GCM Racing, RC4WD, and STRC all now have Ascender-specific products). And there are plenty of ways to mount a stick pack apart from the floating tray, so don't let that be a deciding factor. I have both, but if I had to have only one, it would probably be the Ascender.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ascender all day!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The cool thing about the SCX is parts availability. That platform has been around a long time so the aftermarket has been able to come up with all kinds of stuff. Also if you are ever crawling with a group and have a problem, odds are someone will have the part you need and be able to help you get going again pretty quick.

As for the Ascender, I think the chassis design along with fit and finish on it is FAR better than the SCX. It is very rigid and all the plastic feels like higher quality. It also IMO looks more scale. The initial price on the Vaterra is obviously higher but slap some aluminum links and metal trans gears on the SCX and you are at the price of the stock Ascender.

I sold one of my SCXs to buy an Ascender and I have no regrets about it. I will keep my other SCX because I have it set up well (and I hope to attend Axialfest next year)
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have 3 kit SCX's and 1 kit Ascender. I vote Ascender.

The Ascender offers sharp steering, metal trans gears, longer shocks (that hold oil!), and increased axle clearance. The dismal axle gear ratio doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's compensated by the low trans gears and the suspension geometry.

You can either make a solid mounted transverse battery tray for the ascender for your large pack, or get smaller/lighter/cheaper packs to fit. I managed to fit 2200 Turnigy 40C 2s into the stock tray with only a little trimming.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Wow, didn't expect the Ascender to get a landslide vote tbh. Very convinced now to place an order for one of these babies. Just a few more questions.

How is the stock setup holding up? I don't plan on upgrading much yet due to budget constraints. Are there any parts I have to be extra careful with? Any ideas on the top speed also? Greatly appreciate all the feedback guys.

Last edited by goldcrow; 11-28-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

Stock setup is excellent. There really isn't anything you need to upgrade. Even on 3s, stock knuckles, chubs, ring/pinion (HD pinion that's now stock), and driveshafts (also HD version that's now stock) have held up great in mine (kit built). Stock RTR electronics should also do fine for a while.

Last edited by new2rocks; 11-28-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Stock setup is excellent. There really isn't anything you need to upgrade
Oh c'mon man...you know damn well stock is boring lol
Old 11-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Oh c'mon man...you know damn well stock is boring lol

Lol. I said "need," not "want." My Ascender is as close to stock as I get, and it already has the GCM forward motor mount, 2-speed conversion, Dinky cantilevers (with longer travel rockers added), SSD bumpers, and a custom 2-tiered electronics tray up front, with GCM goodies on the way and an interior when I get around to it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the stock setup is so good it is almost boring to not feel the need to tinker, you can just drive it. I got as far as lowering the body and moving the bumpers up/in. Otherwise it just works. I can't even fault the stock tires.

The only weak link I've found in a year of abuse is the plastic servo horn, but that holds true for every truck. I'm running the small blue one that's included with many Hitec servos with a jam nut as a washer under the ball stud to keep the same offset as the stock horn.

I've also worn out some rod ends, mainly the panhard bar ends. They don't break, but the steering gets a little funky at full lock if the panhard rod ends are loose. Might want to get spares, or upgraded links with larger rod ends when the time comes.

Top speed is going to be determined my battery, motor, and gearing selection. The stock suspension setup is heavily damped and gets almost uncontrollably bouncy on bumpy terrain above 5mph, but it also keeps it planted on rocky inclines at .25mph. Some re-valve the shocks, I just go slow. Mines running a 55 turn, geared 16/86 on 2s and tops out at maybe 3mph. Not sure on RTR gearing, but it likely won't be much, if any, faster. Remember, it's not how fast it goes, its where it goes.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm a newbie and have an ascender. Got he RTR version and I LOVE it! It's tough, very forgiving for a new driver like me and looks awesome. I'm building an scx for my wife and it's garbage compared to the vaterra.

Guys complain about the big body and bumpers on the blazers but it is what it is. It's a big truck but not an oaf. Bringing in the bumpers makes a huge difference. Check out the ascender section and you'll see some sweet builds. Check out natedog's build thread.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #12

How are the Ascender RTR electronics? I like the idea that this comes pretty much waterproof out of the box. Tx/Rx and servo are Spektrum while the motor is a Dynamite 35T. The ESC though is a "waterproof Dynamite ESC". I have had no experience on these brands yet and while I've heard that Spektrum is one of the better tx/rx makers, the Dynamite ESC I have no idea. Does this have a lipo cutoff, will I need an external BEC?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Dynamite ESC is waterproof/ mud packed around proof. Dynamite is also under the Horizon Banner along with Specktrum. And yes it has low voltage cut off. Just move a jumper between lipo and NiMh when changing battery types. Alos uses jumpers for setting crawl mode and forward reverse modes. Has a built in BEC, but if running a high torque servo and super bright LEDS then a BEC would be preferable.
Bry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Apart from a few bits I've ran my scx10 for a good 5 years now with very little breakage and few upgrades . It's taken many a tumble down huge gradients and us still running fine. Servicing ? Never done any.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcrow View Post
.....and while I've heard that Spektrum is one of the better tx/rx makers........
There's a lot of hype surrounding Spektrum, but they're problematic and can be unreliable. It's okay for a stock RtR system like most low budget RtR gear, when you're ready to upgrade look to Futaba, Airtronics or Hitec. All three have affordable, good quality systems that are dependable as well as high-end, feature packed systems.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I was faced recently with the same choice.

I agree the Ascender came better set up, but it was also $400 and with limited shops selling it getting a lower price can be a challenge.

Axial was selling the deadbolt for 299, but with my Tower discounts i was able to pick it up for just about $260.

Also the latest scx10 trucks come with the 3 channel radio included with the rr10 meaning i could add a winch or light later to the factory radio.

I felt $140 left for mods that i was able to choose was the best option for me and the way i chose to run.
True at the end of it with 400 invested I am at about the point of where a Ascender starts but my deadbolt doesn't look like all the others on the rocks. Both truck match up well with equal invested, its just about if you want to choose the small details or have someone chose them for you.

Personally i don't think you can go wrong with either one.
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

Went for the Ascender and it's a blast to drive around the park. Just strapped on the battery across the tray for the meantime but I plan on a more permanent solution since the front tire hits the battery on full steer and flex. Any suggestions? I saw some guys selling stainless battery trays screwed down the spare servo mount but shipping will take a few weeks.

Also, I noticed that full steer to the right will have a smaller clearance between the tire and shock than a full left steer. I don't get the full 45degree turning radius on the left steer, only on the right. I just ran this out of the box. Any solutions to this?

Last edited by goldcrow; 12-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The right steering arm contacts the screw that attaches the panhard bar to the axle housing...it does on mine, but I have aftermarket links. Clearance the steering arm where it makes contact.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #19

So johnnysplits, that means the steering angle will naturally be biased to the right due to the way the links are connected? Apologies if I don't quite understand the technical lingo yet.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Yes. I was getting slightly less angle turning full lock left than full lock right. Just cycle the steering full left and full right to see what stops it. On the tops of the c-hubs are steering stops. If the knuckle does not hit that stop at full lock in either direction, something else is stopping it and has to be clearanced so you have full steering.

Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AXIAL SCX10 v's VATERRA ASCENDER K5 BLAZER TEST 2 TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 1 07-13-2015 08:19 PM
Axial SCX10 kit vs Vaterra Ascender K5 Kit darkghost92 Newbie General 26 05-05-2015 01:04 AM
Dry creek Trail Run - Vaterra 1986 K5 Blazer Ascender and Axial SCX10 eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-14-2015 01:10 AM
Dry creek Trail Run - Vaterra 1986 K5 Blazer Ascender and Axial SCX10 eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-24-2015 09:14 AM