Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help please, radio glitching debacle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help please, radio glitching debacle

I know this could easily go in any other number of threads, although this see,s to be particular to my set up as I've read all the threads I can find and they conflict based n my equipment, hoping someone can lend some insight!

My set up: Sidewinder v3, Tacon 1370kv 2 pole, 3s 30c, spektrum sr301, spektrum dx2e, Savox sw0251mg(I think, it's the big one) glitch buster installed. Ax10 Ridgecrest.

So here is the issue: in my basement crawling around on my track by myself it's fine, no glitching, good torque to the motor, perfect reception. Then I go out with my buddies who all run stock axial RX/tx, and the motor jumps in and out constantly. Doesn't matter if I'm close by my tx or not, the truck jumps all the time. There comes certain points where I have basically no throttle control at all, it just sits there while I fully squeeze the throttle and kicks in and out. I also notice a ton of lag in power....almost like it needs to wind up like a turbo.

Possible solution number one: I've read Savox drains receivers. Should I replace it with a different servo, and if so, what?

Possible solution number two: BEC, this makes the most sense to me, and I really don't want to pull my servo, so could this be the cure? If so, what sort of ratings should I look for in a BEC running one standard, high torque/high draw servo?

Possible solution number three: Spektrum plus Friends nearby equals PROBLEMS. A bunch of comp guys I know said that spektrum sucks when you're around other non spektrum radios. If this was the case, why doesn't it glitch in any and all of my other trucks when I'm around other cars(most of those are racers, not crawlers)? And it seems very strange that spektrum and only spektrum is the RX/tx combo that is glitchy.

Any input or advice? The cheapest and easiest answer is a BEC, so I'll probably go grab one of those today. Just curious if I really need to go all in with a castle BEC or if I can opt for something smaller?

Thanks a ton in advance, this problem is literally shutting down my driving so if you can help, I'll owe you one!!!

Creepin
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help please, radio glitching debacle

I would start with the BEC and get in the habit of putting them in all of your crawlers. There are a handful of ESCs that can power a strong servo with the internal BEC, but most can't. Under powering your servo will strain both your ESC and your servo, potentially shortening the life of both. The Castle BEC is proven, programmable with Castle link (like your ESC), and compact. If you still have the glitching, then you can look at other culprits.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good, and THANK YOU!!! Local LHS has them in stock. Recommended programming settings with that servo? I'd like to give it more power as it's blatantly sluggish compared to the same one in an 1/8 scale rig Thats giving it 6 volts.

So is the Spektrum rumor a myth? I have a really hard time believing Spektrum is just a POS around other radios as I've never heard of that before and I've been running Spektrum for three years with zero issues.
Creepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepcreep View Post
So is the Spektrum rumor a myth? Spektrum is just a POS around other radios
Not a myth. They make excellent aircraft systems, but use their ground stuff in a racing crowd and that's when the problems start. Those cheap Flysky systems will "hit" Spektrums signal. For crawling though they are fine.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Help please, radio glitching debacle

Re the voltage setting, check the specs for the specific model number that you have. Some of their servos are spec'd up to 7.4V, but some are only spec'd to 6V.

Re the radio, I've never owned a Spektrum radio, so I can't say one way or the other. I have heard the same about FlySky radios, but I have a couple of GT3Cs that I run regularly with others that run them and not had any issues.

Last edited by new2rocks; 11-28-2015 at 08:38 AM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Help please, radio glitching debacle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glitching problem but not the radio. skin6061 Electronics 8 05-26-2012 08:18 PM
The Glorious Basement Dry-Out Debacle! microgoat Chit Chat 64 06-13-2011 04:22 PM
SEVERE RADIO Glitching problem, Any ideas?? jcboof Electronics 14 12-03-2009 10:43 PM
radio glitching using drill motor and gear reduction derbinator Electronics 17 12-02-2004 08:34 AM