Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: best out of the box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Default best out of the box

where i live their is alot of big rocks and i was wondering what would be the better choice for rock crawling the scx10 or the wraith i will eventually get both but its hard to get the extra cash for them right now so i was hoping you guys could help me out with some advise thanks
tourque splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I have both. The scx out of the box will definitely crawl as well if not better than my kit wraith with battery moved to the front. The wraith does have a stability advantage due to the width. Hard to go wrong with either, but if you are buying the rtr version, I would go with the honcho.
Scott105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: best out of the box

Depends on how big the rocks are and the terrain you plan on running it in. I hope you get the kit versions of both...that way you understand a bit on how they're both put together and function. The SCX10 comes as a 1.9 rig versus the Wraith coming in as a 2.2 rig. However both RTR versions come with the same gearing and electronics which do not have enough torque IMO.

You will have fun with either!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

i will get the kit for sure i enjoy putting them together and i have many choices of terrain small rocks or rocks as big as a house i have a madtorque that i started with and it has a hard time on some of the stuff but iv got addicted to crawling and ready to move to a good brand
Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It is going to depend on the rocks you have to crawl on. The SCX10 is narrower and can be maneuvered into tight spots. The Wraith is wider is great of you want to do a combo of rock crawling and trail running.

I built both my SCX10 and Wraith from the kit. You understand how it put together so when you get done you will know how to repair it. Also that way you get the choice of electronics. The kit will probably be more expensive up front but cheaper than doing all the upgrades to a RTR.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
www.ottsix.com

I see you've used the words "rock crawler" in your post. Both of the rigs you mentioned will technically crawl but their chassis are scaler type. If you want an Axial product that's a "crawler", take a look at the XR10 or the AX10 Ridgecrest (or older AX10's)
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

i have but im really into the realistic look where i live their is no comps and not that many people thats into rc crawlers
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I bought a Wraith for my first crawler last summer and have loved it. I am now working on an SCX10,b but it won't replace the Wraith. It's just nice to have two. I'd say just get whichever one you like the best. They both will crawl great out of the box.
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

My scx10 out crawls my wraith easily, with very little modification to both. I have the rtr honcho and the kit version of the wraith..but you can mod the wraith to be a very good crawler. But outta the box, honcho i would say..just my 2 cents
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Interesting to see some of you find the SCX10 a better crawler than the Wraith. To me, the Wraith wins hands down. Better weight distribution, wider stance and bigger tires.

Maybe I need to rethink my Dingo setup.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Interesting to see some of you find the SCX10 a better crawler than the Wraith. To me, the Wraith wins hands down. Better weight distribution, wider stance and bigger tires.

Maybe I need to rethink my Dingo setup.
I would have thought the same til I compared to 2 side by side..out of the box, the honcho did a lot more. The wraith is set up for rock racing, which is why it comes with a 20t motor.. and gearing for speed, not much torque.. now that both have weighted tires and have a few mods they are similar though...I still prefer my honcho.. AND both running 55t motors..but what the hell do i know, i'm still considered a noob
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeah, I got away from the OP's question. Both my Dingo and Wraith have been upgraded significantly and certainly not "out of the box".
I agree the SCX10 RTR would be a decent choice as it likely won't be bashed as much as a Wraith. The plastic parts should hold up a little longer.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I prefer the SCX10 for the realism. It looks scale and drives scale. The Wraith is fun and is definatly worth getting. It just depends on what you want more. Realistic driving or speed and power?
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have heavily modified versions of both and out of the box, the scx 10 performs better. If you're getting both eventually, does it matter which comes first?
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Check out some vids and go to some local events and watch and ask questions. I am sure there are people who will let you drive their rigs to get a feel how they handle. I have a wraith and it is great. You can get a RTR change the gearing to 14/87 with the stock motor. Then put some sticky tires on make a tie rod from all thread and have a great time. That is what i did for the first four months. I bought the wraith because of the longer wheel base and wider stance. The most important item is how well you know your vehicle so practice.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

SO does anyone think the wraith is a better crawler?
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Sometimes it's advantageous to read ALL the posts. Look up about 6 or 7
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

here i am, sold on the Wraith but in love with Toyotas..... what to do
zidaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidaro View Post
here i am, sold on the Wraith but in love with Toyotas..... what to do
modified hilux body on a wraith.
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I've assembled kits of both. This is the short version.

The Wraith quickly turned into a money pit. A few hundred later and it's fairly reliable. The larger tires/larger stance do give it more outright capablity as long as you lower it.

The SCX took some serious abuse before requiring much attention. A few hundred later, spread out over a couple years, and it's absolutely bombproof. The smaller tires reward precise driving and line choice. They also make more obstacles a challenge. In the end the little SCX will honestly go about 85% of the places the Wraith goes.

The SCX is much easier to mount your lusted after Toyota bodies on too.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

best out of the box - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tool box/ field box? Cole82 Tools, and Procedures 39 12-28-2010 09:56 PM
outside the box slowride1 Venom Creeper 16 09-14-2010 06:25 PM
Out of the box? topgear Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-28-2010 03:24 PM
Trying to think outside the box... Rauto13 General Crawlers 9 08-15-2009 12:59 AM
going outside my box. xzk7nr Paint and Body 15 04-30-2008 01:31 PM