Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is this a smart first scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is this a smart first scaler?

Scale hard body.
RC4WD TF2 Mojave Body Kit Trail Finder 4X4 1/10 Scale Yota Rock Crawler Scaler
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I have used both hacked and non-hacked Flysky GT3C transmitters with good look. I do think the hacked version is worth the extra money and is still considerably less than others with comparable features. I have seen lots of glitching issues with Spektrum transmitters, but none on the Flysky. There are some annoying setting issues on the non-hacked version that are fixed on the hacked versions. The GT3C comes with a lipo and charging cable, so I like that version. Overkill RC and RC Addict are the two places I have dealt with for hacked flysky transmitters. The receivers are as cheap as they come, so using this transmitter on other vehicles is practically free (under $10). I love my Ascender K5 as well.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #23

I did some reading, kind of sounds like Savox servos NEED a dedicated BEC. I found someone with the same FXR esc and servo, he had glitching until he installed a Castle 10A BEC. A BEC will cost me another £20 or so. What I'm trying to ask is: if the Savox will essentially cost me £50, should I just find something similarly priced from Hitec or another reputable brand? Is that a better option?
bignate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Hard to say if it will need sometimes until you try it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I would seriously avoid the 0231 Savox, I had 3 die on me due to getting wet, when they're meant to be waterproof.
Switched to a Hitec, waterproofed it myself and it's been submerged countless times.
I would always run a Castle BEC, for £20, it's silly not to really, to know you're getting the most from your electrics and the reliability of that too.
For me, I wouldn't spend almost £100 on just a body for your first one, as no doubt it will get scratched to hell while you're learning the truck, if you're strict on £500, I'd perhaps leave the stock body on and spend some of that change on a better servo, Castle 10a BEC and a LiPo.
When I built my G6 I went with budget electrics, to try them out, it was my first time really so figured why not, and those electrics are still in my truck now, in total with receiver, motor, ESC, Castle BEC and servo it was about £90.
That would save you some good money.
That's just my personal opinion of course, I had planned to run better electrics when these failed, but so far they've soaked up any abuse, mud, dirt, stones, water etc...
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #26

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at Hitecs as well now, how much torque is needed for the ascender to be a fairly high performance scaler?
By the way, I actually changed my mind on the body, I'm getting the Killer Body Horri Bull, which is only £45, and selling the factory shell.

£219 Ascender Kit
£45 Horri Bull Body
£118 Tekin FXR 45t Combo
£23 Castle 10A Bec
£35 Flysky TX
£20 Battery

Minus about £30 for selling the default shell.

So I need a servo for £40 or less.
And that's assuming I don't need special oils or whatever for the kit build (I don't, right?).
Old 01-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I personally think the Hitec 646 running at 7.4v on a Castle BEC is okay.. More power is better but then you're talking £60-70 for something factory waterproof.
I think it puts out around 12kg which isn't a monster but for sub £30 it's a good servo in my opinion.
I also run a HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC and an Axial 27t or RC4WD 35t... That would save you a lot over the Tekin combo.
I've been running that combo for almost a year, and it's never missed a beat.
I know some folks like to go for the absolute best stuff, but for me, if it works, then why spend extra lol.
Just again, my own personal opinion, on stuff I've actually used/abused/broken etc...
Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #28

It's a real tendency of mine to spend more than what's necessary straight away. Maybe I should hold back a little, start with budget (but reliable) electronics. I'll put together a budget kit list. Thanks for the suggestion

Edit: Is the Castle BEC set to 7.4v from the factory or do you need to program it?

Last edited by bignate; 01-01-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

IMO I think some people are sometimes put off cheaper products, mainly because they're told something else that costs 5x more is better, but in reality, I 'test/review' quite a lot of budget products on my own rigs, just to see what's out there for people who don't have an endless money pot and actually, there is some very good stuff.
Just my G6 has had way over 100 hours hard use (I don't go easy on it) and everything works lol.
That isn't including either of my Wraiths (one of which ran a 1060, RC4WD 45t motor on 3s) my TF2, G2 D90, G2 FJ40, 8x8x4, SCX10 D90 etc etc... :P
Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #30

Update: I just became the proud owner of the Ascender RTR. Everyone says the RTR comes with decent electronics, figure I'll start there and change anything I feel needs changing. Once again, thanks so much to everyone who provided me with their perspective, it was a great help. I hope there's a gallery area or something, because I will want to post pics
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Even with a RTR, I would suggest at least a Castle BEC... Brown out is soooo irritating especially when you're learning lol.
Congrats on the purchase bro! Enjoy!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #32

Cheers, I'll see how it goes.

Tags
build, newbie, vaterra ascender

Is this a smart first scaler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who doesn't have a smart phone? JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 59 03-29-2012 08:08 AM
Smart or stupid? Ap0k Chit Chat 6 12-25-2007 01:20 PM
How Smart Are You? BJoe Chit Chat 9 06-06-2007 11:05 PM
how smart are you? phishead1101 Chit Chat 32 08-26-2006 07:26 PM
Need Help Not Smart!! Nylintjunkie Newbie General 4 02-27-2006 06:42 PM