Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Another New Guy needing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Default Another New Guy needing advice

Stumbled on to this board while researching RC's for my sons Christmas.

He wanted and I got him a Traxxas Slash 4x4 for a small RC club at his school. It is very fun and fast, too fast for me. He wants me to get one, but it is really not for me.

I started looking at Crawlers, since I had to quit trail riding in my Samurai. I want to get one, but I know it would be a lot more fun for both of us if we had the same kind of vehicle. I don't have money to burn, so I'm looking for entry level fun. I have looked and read on here about the Everest 10. I could get two of those and have us both crawling for less than something real nice for just me. I have also looked at the Everest 16. I like that it is smaller and cheaper, but would I be limiting myself getting two 16's? Not as much on here about them.

Sorry for the long winded first post. JC
RollTideRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another New Guy needing advice

No experience with them but they look very similar to the exceed maxstone line. I bought a maxstone 10 a few years ago and for the price it was pretty decent. I'd definitely go with the Everest 10 over the 16.
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've not had a Redcat or an Exceed, but I've ran with and talked to those who do, they are a less expensive starting point and some Axial parts interchange. To me the Redcat looks better, but they appear very similar. It's great that you're looking to have constructive rc fun with your son, research (read lots of reviews and keep in mind many reviews online are jaded), somebody here should chime in who owns one.

ECX is another decent lower priced RC truck, there are several threads here on RCC, and some hobby shops stock them. I've never seen Redcat or Exceed in a store, only online. A friend has an ECX Ruckus 4x4 and he and his son have beat it up with only a worn out spur gear (cheap and easy to replace).
Temper 1/18 4WD Rock Crawler Brushed: RTR (ECX01003): ECX RC

Is your son interested in a crawler or just go fast trucks?

Edit: smaller scale trucks are fun too, look at the areas where you would run them and see what kind of challenging obstacles are around. What do others in your area run? Most fun if everybody has similar vehicles.

Almost forgot userid Jebster has great thread right here on his Maxstone 16:
exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

Last edited by Natedog; 01-05-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

I have had many crawlers and if you get a cheaper one you will end up spending more money fixing it up than if you just got something like an Axial crawler, they make great quality trucks and I never have had a problem with mine, and i have had it for 2 years so that's saying something.
Good luck
CameronSpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronSpear View Post
I have had many crawlers and if you get a cheaper one you will end up spending more money fixing it up than if you just got something like an Axial crawler, they make great quality trucks and I never have had a problem with mine, and i have had it for 2 years so that's saying something.
Good luck
Depends on how handy you are making parts (and how much free time, skills and tools you have), but in general that is probably correct. Everybody has their budget and personal preferences, main thing is to get a reliable RC that fits your budget and go have fun with it. Great way to reduce stress. Some people also just enjoy tinkering and making stuff work, that others have overlooked as not worthy.

Headquake is one of the best scratch building tinkerers I've seen. Dude's got way more time and patience than I do these days, I used to have way more free time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFIJj7RkbY0
Old 01-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There's also the ECX Barrage
1.9 4WD Barrage Brushed: RTR (ECX01009): ECX RC

1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Proline Ambush is smaller scaler, but looks great, leaf springs and many model bodies will fit with a little work.
1/24 Pro-Line "True Scale" Ambush

Search for "ambush" under General Scale, General Crawlers, or Micro Scale Rigs.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I am still reading and trying to make up my mind. I just got Christmas paid for today, so maybe next week I can order something.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple Everest 10s (one for me, one for my son) so I can give you my experience with them. The Everest 10 is a good rig for the price if you aren't looking for a scale rig. Many aftermarket upgrades intended for the AX10 scorpion/SCX10 can be adapted to use in the E10 if you want. The biggest weak spot in terms of durability is the lockers, but they don't cost that much to upgrade. In terms of performance it has a few weaknesses:

1. It is slow (I'd guess under 3 mph). It is easy and cheap to do a moderate upgrade in speed (all I'd recommend for a crawler), but more expensive if you're trying to make it a rock racer.

2. It has a horrible turning radius. This is cheap to upgrade if you don't mind adding 4 wheel steering, but expensive if you want to stick with front wheel steering (did one with each set up).

3. It has a lot of torque twist. This was relatively cheap for me to improve on, but it did take a lot of tinkering with the suspension setup and link placement to do so.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #9

i have noticed a lot of people add 4ws. Would I be better off starting with the RS10?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRam View Post
i have noticed a lot of people add 4ws. Would I be better off starting with the RS10?
If you are interested in a motor on axle vehicle, you could consider the RS10. From what I understand, the servos are pretty poor as are the tires (worse than the E10s), so you'd probably be looking at replacement pretty quickly on those parts. I haven't owned one of these, so I couldn't tell you if there are any other major concerns.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

I went ahead and ordered two eveverest 10's. Will see how it goes when they get here.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRam View Post
I went ahead and ordered two eveverest 10's. Will see how it goes when they get here.
I'd say you made the right call going for the 1/10 scale over the 1/16th.
I'm new to this rc thing and bought the Maxstone 16 to run with my son. The parts for the 1/16 or 1/18th are harder to come by from my local hobby shop. I think you'll find 1/10 parts are more available and usually cheaper $.
Have fun.
Scttduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #13

Get a axial yeti. It will keep up with his slash and you could do light crawling stock
Donny939 is offline   Reply With Quote

Another New Guy needing advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needing prayers and advice ManiacMagoo Chit Chat 12 01-30-2014 12:17 AM
Needing An Expert's Advice lol. 1fastsob General Scale Talk 0 09-04-2011 03:41 PM
needing advice lifebeginsafterdeath Chit Chat 16 04-26-2011 09:23 AM
needing advice carpediem Newbie General 8 01-22-2011 06:07 AM