Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Debating a trailfinder 2 vs scx10ii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Debating a trailfinder 2 vs scx10ii

How does a stock trailfinder 2 perform next to a stock scx10 or scx10ii?
Summitbasher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Debating a trailfinder 2 vs scx10ii

I have both, what are you trying to do & what do your friends have.
The TF2 is an ok 1.55 crawler, but is ungodly scale & looks beautiful.
It will go through a lot, but is just a little truck.

The SCX10ii is one of the most capable out of the box 1.9 crawlers ever made, but less scale overall.

Apples vs Oranges.

Avoid the SCX10 unless it is cheep the SCX10ii is so much better.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

A TF2 is never going to hang with an SCX10 if all other things are equal.

If you want performance get an Ascender or SCX10 II.

If you want a scale leaf spring rig get theTF2.

If you want a leaf spring rig that performs well get a GMade Sawback.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If this is your first rig I'd say scx10 or scx10 II and then when your ready it time to upgrade to TF2 leafy as i just bought one a can't get over how cool they look and so scale looking...
I don't know why i waited so long to buy one but now i want the L70..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Not nearly as capable out of the box, but with some cheap and free mods they get much closer, but leaf springs will always require more driving skill than coil overs and links. I like the TF2 scale looks and the extra crawling challenge. What do other guys in your area drive?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

I have an original scx10 deadbolt and i love that thing. Me and my wife pass the controler to each other while we walk trails. Im in florida so there is not any really tough crawling to be done. I want an scx10 ii but i have been looking into the trailfinder because it is a beautiful rig. I really dig the leaf springs and all the other scale parts of it. I guess i will just end up with all three at some point! Lol
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Not nearly as capable out of the box, but with some cheap and free mods they get much closer, but leaf springs will always require more driving skill than coil overs and links. I like the TF2 scale looks and the extra crawling challenge. What do other guys in your area drive?

This hobby went to 4link.and no drivig skills.But the tf2 you need mad driving skill.They will stay up with scx10 ii.This is my .02 cents
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitbasher90 View Post
How does a stock trailfinder 2 perform next to a stock scx10 or scx10ii?

Scx10ii is better than trailfinder 2 stock, performance-wise. Scalewise TF2 wins. Personally, I love the TF2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

As everyone has said box stock the SCX10 II in terms of performance will crush the TF2. Now if your willing to spend some money doing upgrades the TF2 is more than capable, Either by doing Leaf Spring Mods or switching out to 3 link/panhard and 4 link. You can also manage to get 1.9's on the TF2 if you get the body lift kit, which is honestly very easy to install and not super expensive plus it opens up quite a bit more options for tires/wheels though it will cut down on the scale realism a bit, if you want an idea of what it looks like with 1.9's I have a mod thread I have up that you can see with 1.9's though the ones I am using are fairly small compared to most other 1.9's Malickies New TF2 RTR Modifications.

Either way, stock, Performance goes to the SCX10 II, Scale Realism goes to the TF2.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Something else that hasn't been mentioned; an scx can be neglected, run hard and put away wet and come back for more. You'll need to stay on top of maintenence with a TF2, especially the outer axle tube bearings because they are tiny. If you want speed or like brushless power then once again the tf2 isn't really a great choice.

That being said, Ive been running my stock tf2 mojave more than any rig I own lately. When I first got into the hobby I wasn't that intrigued by them. I wanted 2.2 rigs or my tall 1.9 truck. Funny how I'm just now appreciating the scale aspect of thia and the totally different enjoyabel xperience of a 1.55 truck on leafs. You really just need to drive each side by side to see what you think for yourself. The two trucks are light years different.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Something else that hasn't been mentioned; an scx can be neglected, run hard and put away wet and come back for more. You'll need to stay on top of maintenence with a TF2, especially the outer axle tube bearings because they are tiny.
Good points. The RC4WD vehicles require way more maintenance than an Ascender or SCX10.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #12

Thanks for all your replys. I have definately decided i will just have to have them all! And i thought crawling was gonna be cheap compared to my bashing trucks. now im just saving up and tossing and turning to see what one i want first.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitbasher90 View Post
Thanks for all your replys. I have definately decided i will just have to have them all! And i thought crawling was gonna be cheap compared to my bashing trucks. now im just saving up and tossing and turning to see what one i want first.
RC is an addicting hobby. In my experience no segment of RC is as addicting as scale crawling! Good luck with your choice and, most importantly, have fun!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
RCC Addict

If you plan on getting both, I'd opt for the 1.9 rig (Ascender or SCX2) first. They are easier to drive, less maintenance, and can take more of a beating if you are coming from the basher world. The TF2 is a tough truck no doubt, but requires some finesse when driving and really isn't made for the same type of driving as the 1.9 trucks. I found that I spend a lot more bench time with my TF2 working out the scale details, such as paint, accessories, interior details, etc. whereas the 1.9 truck you build it and run it sooner.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #15

I so agree with the crawling side being much more addictive than bashing. I think for bashing im gonna sell all but my xmaxx because sometimes you just gotta go fast and rip it up and nothing does that like the xmaxx does! And what yall are saying about the tf2 just makes me want it even more. I love bench time with my trucks as much as i love driving them. By the way did anybody here see that Traxxas is supposed to be realesing a scale crawler this year? Thats got my mind going crazy being i was a Traxxas fan on the bashing side and i really think it will give the scx10ii a run for its money. I will find the link and post it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #16

Here's Your First Look at Traxxas' NEW SCALER - RC Car Action

Cms, locking and unlocking diffs like the summit, licensed landrover body with full lights, metal links, forward mounted motor!

I would link to more pics but im not sure if im allowed to link the Traxxas forum on here.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

See this thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...der-110-a.html

Already being discussed at length here ....
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:16 AM   #18

Oh nice. Thanx!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have a solution for you........purchase a scxV2 and pick up a yota body! This will require shorter links, smaller tires and some positive offset wheels. My solution to your question isn't the easiest but it's not difficult either. If you take on this venture you will know your rig better and end up with a rig built by you. Not assembled by you. I say take the small challenge and get a great start on what makes our hobby unique.....making things work
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote

Debating a trailfinder 2 vs scx10ii - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10ii vs Ascender vs Trailfinder 2 review JohnRobHolmes Axial SCX10 II 0 07-21-2016 08:27 AM
Debating a Sawback LamChop G-Made Crawlers 9 01-23-2016 11:33 AM
Debating between 2S and 3S 1967Typhoon Axial SCX-10 21 07-13-2014 01:46 AM
Debating andy27012 Newbie General 4 01-26-2010 07:05 PM
Debating doing something gay....... BEELZEBOB Chit Chat 97 09-11-2009 10:58 AM