Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Recommend me a crawler kit, can't find AX90053

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

Default Recommend me a crawler kit, can't find AX90053

Howdy.

I'm after a good crawler kit, I tried getting the Axial Bomber but this is not available anywhere in Australia for a reasonable price.
The supplier says Axial need to manufacture more, and it won't be until October-November.

It's winter over here and I need to build something.

I considered the Wraith, but the Bomber looks nicer and seems to be a better kit for about the same $$$.

I'm fairly inexperienced with crawling; I have a couple chinese RTR crawlers, which mostly lose traction and fallover (need more low weight). But I'm a builder more than a driver.
Not much of a fan of scale models.

Any recommendation (any brand), thanks!
raybies_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Default Re: Recommend me a crawler kit, can't find AX90053

The Wraith sucks in comparison to the Bomber. Wraith faithfuls might disagree, but it's the truth. The Bomber is Axial's best and most well-equipped kit, period. The only thing close is the SCX10 II.

If you want something in the 2.2 Bomber/Wraith style there aren't too many other good options.

You could wait for the GMade GOM. It looks like it's going to be awesome!

Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I sold my Bomber because I couldn't keep it off its lid. I was running a 3500kv brushless system in it with stock suspension, tried messing with it a bit but couldn't get it to where I wanted it. Overall a very well engineered rig and, like Jato mentioned, is their best all around vehicle to date. I'm sure there are options and tricks to keep it more stable, but it does have a pretty high COG.

Wraith is a good kit too and apparently crawls better than a Bomber. But the Bomber is better "overall".

I'd be going with a Rock Rey if you want some more stability at speed. Tougher and better engineered than a Yeti which costs a small fortune to get it to where it's actually a good truck. Rey probably doesn't crawl well though.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

The GMade GOM looks pretty sweet, but it isn't available yet... and by the time it gets to Aus, it'll be easy next year!

The bomber kit cost $10 more here, and for the price difference it has a lot of better parts vs wraith.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #5

What are your thoughts on the VATERRA Twin Hammers 1.9?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybies_AU View Post
What are your thoughts on the VATERRA Twin Hammers 1.9?
It's not my style and I have little interest in them. Lots of people that own them seem to ignore them or sell them. They are small rigs - not 1/10th scale.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Wraith sucks in comparison to the Bomber. Wraith faithfuls might disagree, but it's the truth. The Bomber is Axial's best and most well-equipped kit, period. The only thing close is the SCX10 II.

If you want something in the 2.2 Bomber/Wraith style there aren't too many other good options.

You could wait for the GMade GOM. It looks like it's going to be awesome!

Coming soon .....GMADE GOM-GR1 Rock Buggy

In my humble opinion the bomber still has not meet my requirements. The front solid axle still not the best choice for high speed guy like me. I am waiting the new bomber ii ( if it ever become one ) I am hoping the new bomber ii comes with 4 wheels independent suspension. Thank you JatoTheRIpper for given us an honest comments here. Cheers :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you are looking for a crawler and don't care about scale looks, have you considered a MOA? RC4WD bully 2 would be a good one to look at. Dlux also has one to consider for a bit more cost.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
In my humble opinion the bomber still has not meet my requirements. The front solid axle still not the best choice for high speed guy like me. I am waiting the new bomber ii ( if it ever become one ) I am hoping the new bomber ii comes with 4 wheels independent suspension. Thank you JatoTheRIpper for given us an honest comments here. Cheers :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Axial EXO was 4 wheel independent suspension. I honestly don't think you need 4 wheel independent suspension. You could get the Losi Rock Rey which has independent front suspension and a solid axle in the rear.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

There's about 3847493927 RC models with IFS all around...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It's not my style and I have little interest in them. Lots of people that own them seem to ignore them or sell them. They are small rigs - not 1/10th scale.
Twin Hammers is awesome. And they are just the right size. And it is 10 scale. The bomber though is closer to 8th scale
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
There's about 3847493927 RC models with IFS all around...
Not a scale off-roader like the Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Twin Hammers is awesome. And they are just the right size. And it is 10 scale. The bomber though is closer to 8th scale
I'm not sure why you want to argue, but the Twin Hammers is definitely much smaller than the average 1/10th scale RC. See below.

This is the Twin Hammers next to a 1/10th scale Axial Yeti.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not sure why you want to argue, but the Twin Hammers is definitely much smaller than the average 1/10th scale RC.
Because the Yeti is bigger than everything. That is definitely not a 10 scale, but it's sold as that. The bomber is also on the big end, mot so big as Yeti, but it is big. The twin hammers is in the right scale, it looks decent next to a hilux, or other 10th scale trucks. Except maybe the scx10 2 and Ascender K5 that is also closer to 8 scale.

My point is, the twin hammers is not small, it's the others that is big.

And to the guy wanting independent 4wd trucks, there is plenty. The thunder tiger Jackal, bushmaster. The FTX Outlaw. Team assosiated has a new one. And there is probably many more.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Because the Yeti is bigger than everything. That is definitely not a 10 scale, but it's sold as that. The bomber is also on the big end, mot so big as Yeti, but it is big. The twin hammers is in the right scale, it looks decent next to a hilux, or other 10th scale trucks. Except maybe the scx10 2 and Ascender K5 that is also closer to 8 scale.

My point is, the twin hammers is not small, it's the others that is big.

And to the guy wanting independent 4wd trucks, there is plenty. The thunder tiger Jackal, bushmaster. The FTX Outlaw. Team assosiated has a new one. And there is probably many more.
The average 1/10th scale RC is larger than a true 1/10th vehicle would be. That was established decades ago. But when you're running with trucks sold as 1/10th scale you typically don't want a "true" 1/10th scale vehicle because they are too small.

Semantics. You're arguing semantics.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Location location location. The Wraith is more crawler than the Bomber. The Bomber can be made to crawl just as the Wraith can be made for a little more speed. I have 2 Wraiths and one Bomber. For my area the Wraiths are more enjoyable to me. I set my Bomber up more for fast trailing and light bashing with a big 1/8 motor and open front diff. #1 Wraith is brushless and faster than my go to #2 geared down on a Traxxas 550 and 100% drag brake.

The Bomber and Wraith weren't designed the same for a reason. Watch the hype videos from Axial and see. They've catered to the terrain best suited for them.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The Twin Hammers is in a different category all together, IMO. It's smaller and more suited for 1.9 tires.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

So I put the TH together and overall my impression is pretty average at best. It went together OK, but the quality of the plastics and their design decisions are poor.
  1. Shaft cracked when tightening
  2. Gear box case screws under the shift servo are supposed to be lightly tightened, but I stripped the head trying to get it in bcos it was so tight (I have good allens)
  3. On the next gear box case screw I used a torx to avoid stripping, and it broke the torx head bcos it's a really small head and super tight
  4. The spur/pinion cover didn't fit over the the pinion, so a hole need to be drilled.
  5. Screws are bad quality
  6. Way too many tiny allens and plastic tapping in to poor plastic
  7. They could have tapped some of the plastic
  8. Manual while OK for me, compared to others like MST and Xray is really bad
  9. Shocks leak
  10. Steering rods are too short, I think they'll be the 2nd thing to fail
  11. I'm really struggling to change gear, even by hand
  12. Wheels are junk

The last time I had a buggy/truck was in 1999; not being impressed with the TH I bought another budget kit, the MST CFX-W still not a 100% assembled, but quality wise it's MUCH better. Screws are tough, plastics are kind of a carbon which fits perfectly together instructions are much better.

I would give the TH a 44%, and the CFX-W a 65% (so far).

Last edited by raybies_AU; 07-27-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I think u Made the Same fault as i did building my First kit, regarding screwing it together.
If U screw into plastic, u should use a little bit of grease on the screws. Cause if U screw in, the plastic gets hot and soft and than cool down and get hard again., It's like using locktide screwing into metal. And the Kit screws are not the best. I changed to 12.8 grade hardend steel torx.

Have Fun with your First rig.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Why wouldn't you go axial? Especially for your first. TH is more for someone that already has plenty of rigs and wants something maybe different.

Just my opinion. Enjoy.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Why wouldn't you go axial?
Bcos Axial is backordered everywhere.

Recommend me a crawler kit, can't find AX90053 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling recommend a crawler Wehan Newbie General 9 04-20-2013 06:59 PM
Recommend me a crawler jayuk022002 Newbie General 4 07-23-2011 02:32 PM
Recommend a decent ESC for crawler... Marc P Electronics 33 06-08-2009 11:30 AM
Recommend Best Rock Crawler Magazine Migs Chit Chat 19 01-18-2009 08:49 AM
Can somebody recommend me a rock crawler samguan Newbie General 7 11-10-2008 03:43 PM