Notices

Thread: Comp rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Comp rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
You should try some comps but you have to be careful which ones you try. When you have a set of rules that are made to be enjoyable everyone has a good time. Here is an example where i think it will be fun Open Class - Tire size not to exceed 4.75in / 120mm. Tires must be a licensed tire replicated after a full size tire. Wheel size not to exceed 1.9 inches. All vehicles are required to have a driver. Interiors can be 2D or 3D, plus all the required scale items. Tires may stick out past the body/fender flares. Required Scale Items for ST & Open Class.
Side Mirrors or Driver side mirror & rear view mirror.
Windshield wipers. Stickers or plastic are ok.
A spare tire.
A cooler.
A jack.
A gas can.
A first aid kit.
These are the rules for motorama and in my opinion they try to get a level playing field without spending a fortune while still having the trucks look scale.
The first problems I see with these rules this: By requiring a licensed tire, you rule out ALL voodoo tires.

You also rule out a C2 vehicle like mine I posted earlier, my truck doesn't have a windshield (so no wipers), no driver/passenger, no spare tire, or any of the other scale items. The only scale accessories I have are 2 gas cans and a bed roll. My truck is currently at 53 scale points, so I can even ditch my 3 accessories to keep the SORRCA max. My truck isn't in any way a cheater rig (7.5lbs), but since I spend a bunch of time making it simple, it doesn't qualify?

It seems like your emphasis is on making the truck scale to a street driven truck and be heavily accessories (Class 1). So why not just put 4.19's on it and compete in C1?

A C2 truck has 48" tire equivalent, definitely a truck that would be trailered and half way to being a rock buggy in real life.

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Fine but use the pic above for the inbalance in rules hardbody chage and wraparound guards 53 points now make that a lexan body and tell me what all else you would have to do to make 53. That 14 for the body is very hard to make up not saying it cant be done but as you see from how many people show up at comps just how many people really want to go thru that
In my first post I stated exactly all I would have to do to make up those 14 points, add a driver, passenger and a spare tire.

I also want to point out that this hard body cost $29.99, cheaper than most lexan bodies!

Quote:
Thankyou ernie for understanding my point and after some reflection on the posts to this i see im loseing the battle with people that have been in this for years and dont remember what it was like to start out let alone start out competing against those that have been doing it for years and built up gradually entrenched dogma!
I'm not someone who has been doing this for years. I'm very new to the scale scene, but been driving comp trucks for years. This is the first scale truck I have built and I've only competed at three competitions with it so far.

I have no complaints on how the system works, because before I built my truck, I went to some scale comps and did research. I think most people buy something cool at a hobby shop without knowing how competitive it actually is for SORRCA rules.

Quote:
Again i like the idea of comps like most of the rules i like my rig to look like something i might drive im also going to motorama which like in ernies example has a much simpler rule set where you dont need weeks of testing or big money to compete at the same level as everyone else but i will not be going to any local comps since they changed their rules right after i told them what i had done for the upcomming year. Ive spent over what i have in throw away dollars and am enjoying my 2 rigs as they are. I am hopeing to try to get some of the people that have been envolved in this to lighten up a bit so the sport doesnt die before i get my grandson involved.
If you want to be scale and not spend a lot of money, stick to class 1 that's what it's for.

TOM

Last edited by sourdojack; 11-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
You should try some comps but you have to be careful which ones you try. When you have a set of rules that are made to be enjoyable everyone has a good time. Here is an example where i think it will be fun Open Class - Tire size not to exceed 4.75in / 120mm. Tires must be a licensed tire replicated after a full size tire. Wheel size not to exceed 1.9 inches. All vehicles are required to have a driver. Interiors can be 2D or 3D, plus all the required scale items. Tires may stick out past the body/fender flares. Required Scale Items for ST & Open Class.
Side Mirrors or Driver side mirror & rear view mirror.
Windshield wipers. Stickers or plastic are ok.
A spare tire.
A cooler.
A jack.
A gas can.
A first aid kit.
These are the rules for motorama and in my opinion they try to get a level playing field without spending a fortune while still having the trucks look scale.
Isnt Motorama a G6?
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Not reeally a g6 but it is run by Parker. They set up an indoor course that everyone runs you get 3 shots at making it thru without rolling over best score wins. Ive not been to 1 yet so the only other thing i can say is to check motorama scale trials on youtube.

Last edited by solo1; 11-28-2017 at 05:31 PM.
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
In my first post I stated exactly all I would have to do to make up those 14 points, add a driver, passenger and a spare tire.

I also want to point out that this hard body cost $29.99, cheaper than most lexan bodies!

I'm not someone who has been doing this for years. I'm very new to the scale scene, but been driving comp trucks for years. This is the first scale truck I have built and I've only competed at three competitions with it so far.

I have no complaints on how the system works, because before I built my truck, I went to some scale comps and did research. I think most people buy something cool at a hobby shop without knowing how competitive it actually is for SORRCA rules.

If you want to be scale and not spend a lot of money, stick to class 1 that's what it's for.

TOM
You haved comped for years but not scale so your not new to the hobby. Now think like a new person that would like to go to a comp cause it sounds like fun for a moment. You just spent $500 on something your not even sure you will like and you check the rules and spend $500 more on tires wheels bumpers interior etc get to the comp and find out your still giving up 15 points per course to everyone else how would you feel?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You haved comped for years but not scale so your not new to the hobby. Now think like a new person that would like to go to a comp cause it sounds like fun for a moment. You just spent $500 on something your not even sure you will like and you check the rules and spend $500 more on tires wheels bumpers interior etc get to the comp and find out your still giving up 15 points per course to everyone else how would you feel?
That is exactly how I started, bought the Wheely King kit and batteries for $500. Then went out to a competition and checked things out. I upgraded my truck and signed up for a whole series. I don't think I even finished a course for probably 6 months (weekly comps). But I never got discouraged because I set my goals lower. My goal was focused on doing one gate better than someone else.

If you are new to this, I don't care how much money you spend on a truck, it takes time and practice (LOTS of practice) to get good at this hobby. I've seen lots of people go head first into this hobby, spend over $2,000 on a truck and gear. Then come out to a comp and can't make it past gate 5 on any course. They disappear for a while, then you see all of there stuff for sale. Start small, be humble, and give it time.

If you don't like giving up scale points (i.e. not having a 50pt truck because it costs a lot of money), my recommendation is to be focused on your driving score, and not the total score.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I have already stated my thoughts on this subject. So having said that, I think you both have stated facts and ideas that a new to the hobby driver should consider when getting started. Before you buy, think about what your future goals may be. Consider the fact that if it is comping, it is going cost you above and beyond your original purchase and a few purchases for upgrades. (Which you would probably spend anyway). But Tom made a good point, if you are sure your buying your truck with the idea you want to be competitive at the local comps, your other investment will need to be your time! You can't "buy" your ability to pick your lines and drive your truck good enough to navigate them! That takes practice!!
In my opinion this what you're both saying, but kind of from different sides. I think everyone would agree that there probably needs to be some changes to help the new guy stick around to pick those needed skills to be competitive and gain confidence but are not quite sure what those changes should be to be fair to everyone.
This is good reading for that new guy or gal that has just bought a truck and is thinking about trying some comps. They should now understand that you can't just show up with the truck you just bought and the "running around your yard skills" and expect to be competive. Just my thoughts.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-29-2017 at 11:43 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

As other have said, it's really up to you to figure out what's fun for you. I think if I've learned anything it's that sometimes competitions can be the best and sometimes they're the worst, but most of the time it has everything to do with attitude. If you go into it thinking that everything is stupid, it's never going to be fun for you, but likewise if you show up to have a good time it can be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
The first problems I see with these rules this: By requiring a licensed tire, you rule out ALL voodoo tires.

You also rule out a C2 vehicle like mine I posted earlier, my truck doesn't have a windshield (so no wipers), no driver/passenger, no spare tire, or any of the other scale items. The only scale accessories I have are 2 gas cans and a bed roll. My truck is currently at 53 scale points, so I can even ditch my 3 accessories to keep the SORRCA max. My truck isn't in any way a cheater rig (7.5lbs), but since I spend a bunch of time making it simple, it doesn't qualify?

It seems like your emphasis is on making the truck scale to a street driven truck and be heavily accessories (Class 1). So why not just put 4.19's on it and compete in C1?

A C2 truck has 48" tire equivalent, definitely a truck that would be trailered and half way to being a rock buggy in real life.

TOM
I think you've expertly pointed out that writing rules isn't easy. Anyone can say I don't like 'X' and to fix it the rule should be 'Y' but it's a whole other ball game to write rules outside of a vacuum.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Comp rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comp rules DEX South Carolina 1 09-02-2011 12:14 PM
Comp rules if I chose to Comp?! RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-25-2010 09:56 PM
comp rules lobi1kanobi General Crawlers 1 07-15-2009 09:54 AM
2.2 comp rules Robb8 Newbie General 1 12-22-2008 07:48 AM
1.9 Comp rules Nitro_Geezer_UK General Crawlers 2 01-04-2008 09:37 AM