Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Learned a LOT on my 1st n00b thread. Teach me more!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Learned a LOT on my 1st n00b thread. Teach me more!

I have been into RC since the gold pan RC10 days. Well, I should say in and out - have taken breaks here and there.

Got into crawling when the AX10 Scorpion came out. Previously I made numerous unsuccessful attempts to turn my Clodbuster into a crawler, so I really didn't have high hopes. But MAN this thing was awesome! I'd get 2-3 hours of runtime on a single battery - the articulation - the torque twist - all of it was enthralling!

A couple short years later, family issues forced me to hang up the hobby. Life doing what life does - and I was kinda OK with it. My AX10 was pretty hopped up, and I figured it'd be ready to roll if/when I was. This was about the time my eldest hung up his rig also.

Fast forward to 5 years later. I was poking around the YouToobz, and saw a crawling vid - specifically, a scaler crawling vid. Fish on! I spent the next 2 days catching up on the latest tech, what I've missed, what's the hot ticket, etc.. AND I decided that I want a 1.9 scaler.

With the help of RCCrawler.com, I've got a package all put together. The total comes to around $550, with the options that I'm interested in. This includes an SCX10 II kit, with all the trimmings.

Out of the blue last night, my eldest told me "Dad - just take my AX10. I won't use it anymore - turn that into a scaler." Kinda threw my whole game on its ear.

So now I'm faced with buying a kit, vs. converting his old (100% stock) AX10. I will still need electronics, so that's not my concerns. But how much will I really save by converting the old one? Would I be as pleased with the conversion as I would with the kit? Are there advantages to upgrading the old Scorpion that don't exist with the SCX10 kit?

Excited to hear your thoughts.

Thanks all!

-Moddy
The Modfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Learned a LOT on my 1st n00b thread. Teach me more!

I started out with an ax10 also. I too wanted something more scale. I found that utilizing my transmission, axles, links, driveshafts, I could buy a few key components and build myself a "wroncho" pretty cost effectively. So i sourced an scx10 chassis and skid. Got myself of "wroncho plates" from one of the vendors on here for like 30 bucks, you'll need shorter shocks, but a set of stock take offs can be had fairly cheap or free. I first used a proline MJ comanche body before I pillaged that for a bomber truggy build, and now run a g6 recon wrangler body on my wroncho.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I started out with an ax10 also. I too wanted something more scale. I found that utilizing my transmission, axles, links, driveshafts, I could buy a few key components and build myself a "wroncho" pretty cost effectively. So i sourced an scx10 chassis and skid. Got myself of "wroncho plates" from one of the vendors on here for like 30 bucks, you'll need shorter shocks, but a set of stock take offs can be had fairly cheap or free. I first used a proline MJ comanche body before I pillaged that for a bomber truggy build, and now run a g6 recon wrangler body on my wroncho.
Awesome! Any pix per chance?

I was 1/2 thinkin that it would be better for me to mod this one into a scaler, THEN get the kit for myself when Momma steals this one...heh
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
Awesome! Any pix per chance?

I was 1/2 thinkin that it would be better for me to mod this one into a scaler, THEN get the kit for myself when Momma steals this one...heh
was searching my phone for one as you responded. I found two. It was a budget build so don't expect greatness.

here is the plates I used, literally just bolt onto the framerails of the scx10
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...ho-plates.html
Attached Images

Last edited by DukeMinnix; 12-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The AX10 can give you usable axles and transmission, the rest will have to be changed to make it a scale truck. I would say it would take at about $200 for a SCX10 chassis, skid plate, shock towers, chassis braces, links, and shocks. New driveshafts would probably be a good idea too. Then you need a body, wheels, tires, and electronics. You may not save much money on the AX10 route but you would end up with a truck that would be much more personal than a straight kit build.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The AX10 can give you usable axles and transmission, the rest will have to be changed to make it a scale truck. I would say it would take at about $200 for a SCX10 chassis, skid plate, shock towers, chassis braces, links, and shocks. New driveshafts would probably be a good idea too. Then you need a body, wheels, tires, and electronics. You may not save much money on the AX10 route but you would end up with a truck that would be much more personal than a straight kit build.
I think Im about 60 into my complete chassis with all bracing. I used the battery mount from the ax10 and radio box, I had to get creative with the mounting of it all but its all there. I reused what I had on the ax10 as far as body wheels and tires, and my driveshafts swapped right over. So I have about 90 in the chassis and plates. I got the bumpers and bumper mounts from ebay for 15 bucks shipped I think, which I'm subsequently not using for the g6 body, the side rails for another 15 or so, they are plastic rpm i think. If i had to buy a body, another 30-50. So yeah most likely 150-200 is a fair estimate
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thank you all for the great info! I think I'm going to attempt to convert this thing into a scaler. What could go wrong?!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you all for the great info! I think I'm going to attempt to convert this thing into a scaler. What could go wrong?!
For that much money ($200), I'd recommend a Redcat Gen7 Sport. Swap the axles, driveshafts, and transmission to create a cheap near-Scx10 OG scaler and then you have enough spares to make a near-Ax10 to either let your wife drive, or else sell in the Classifieds, Craigslist, or eBay.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

I would recommend an axial 10.2 (on sale now) or a vaterra Ascender kit. And if you want RTR, the above or TRX4.

I did the same years ago, turned my ax10 into an scx10 and after all the time and money, my bone stock ascender and TRX4 are way better and even better still with a couple upgrades.

I was able to sell all my ax-10 scx10 parts for $275 which paid for most of my 10.2 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did a thread on a nice, simple rebuild of SCX10 parts. It turned into a rather nice truck (more of a nice chassis with a horrible body) after some cleaning, parts bin scavenging, and making a few things.

There is probably some inspiration to be had in there.

SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I did a thread on a nice, simple rebuild of SCX10 parts. It turned into a rather nice truck (more of a nice chassis with a horrible body) after some cleaning, parts bin scavenging, and making a few things.

There is probably some inspiration to be had in there.

SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10
I love these kinds of threads - be back in a few minutes!

edit: That was a very informative and enlightening thread! Thanks for being a nice guy!

Last edited by The Modfather; 12-13-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Read svt's thread. +1knowledge +3ambition -32wallet
Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Whatever you decide to do, be sure it includes a build thread. We like watching the progress!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Whatever you decide to do, be sure it includes a build thread. We like watching the progress!
I will do my best. If this (these?) build(s) go the way my others have, there will be more drinkin than building - then the camera gets blurry. just sayin...heh

Learned a LOT on my 1st n00b thread. Teach me more! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learned a lot on here, still new and don't have much to bring to the table but...... Leon Sidursky Newbie General 12 11-15-2015 10:48 AM
1st thread on here deleted! RebelRat Chit Chat 15 04-24-2014 10:38 AM
1st Thread, 1st Crawler, all metal. Trag Tamiya CR-01 41 03-03-2009 09:29 AM
my first tuber, 1st time ever brazing...but learned a lot. durtmaxx Traxxas Crawlers 16 12-02-2006 01:07 PM