Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Led wiring to CH3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #1

Default Led wiring to CH3

I'm new to the page and also RC crawling. I bought a Everest 7 Pro and have been modifying it. I want to add LEDs to the Body. I have two halo lights 4 LED bulbs and a light bar. I was wondering if I could wire all those together and clip them into my channel 3? Would it overload any thing? Or would it be best to Connected via a 9-volt battery mounted somewhere on the crawler?
Strongmancasey2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Led wiring to CH3

If you are running stock electronics I would be worried about brown out, running a BEC would make sure nothing went wrong. Also, make sure you check the input voltages on the LEDs, some LEDs do not like operating at higher voltages and will burn out when you connect power.

Channel 3:
Are you just trying to power the lights off of the receiver, or are you trying to control them from the receiver?

You can get power from CH3 of your RX, but you will need something else thrown in there (LED controller) if you actually want to turn them on and off. I use a device called a Pico Switch, is basically a small RC controlled relay to control lights and such from aux channels.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

I'm really just wanting a simple on/off light system. Not connected to my controller or anything. Would this work for me if I mount this to my RC also I don't want to burn up my LEDs would I need to splice in something ?

https://www.parts-express.com/9v-bat...8aAhHwEALw_wcB
Strongmancasey2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

What you want is this: Receiver Power Distributor

Just drop heyok a message and let him know the voltage of the lights/L.E.Ds you wanna use, and he might be able to supply you with resistors so you don’t burn up your lights when you connect them.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

There are easy, cheap ways to accomplish what you want. Here's my suggestion:

Any small, low current LEDs like what you'd run in front and rear bumpers can be easily plugged into an unused receiver port as long as they're designed to run on 5-6v. Any higher current devices, like roof-mounted light bars, could draw enough current that there won't be adequate power available for your servo, hence the brown-out that somebody mentioned above. For those higher-current devices, I prefer to power them from the battery, either directly if they're designed for that voltage, or through a BEC (also called a buck converter) to drop the battery voltage to the appropriate level.
When I solder my battery connectors on to the ESC, I always run a pigtail out of the back of the connector with a JST plug specifically for hooking up my extra electronics. Having everything use this type of plug also gives you versatility down the road. If you want to add more stuff, you can just build or buy a splitter cable. If you want to use a separate battery to power something, you can unplug it and do that. If you have something that runs good on 2S but not 3S, you can unplug it when you pop in a 3S pack. If you upgrade to a 3 or 4 channel controller later and want to switch the lights on and off, it's easy to plug in a switch. You get the point. Having everything connectorized makes life easier later.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

I would take the Ch3 output and connect that to a small relay that will control the lights to the/a battery. I don't think you want LED current running directly off the reciever
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Led wiring to CH3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Wiring Question Greatscott Electronics 2 10-10-2017 09:10 AM
Led wiring thumperc25 Electronics 3 04-23-2016 07:13 PM
LED Wiring JK Krawler Electronics 0 11-24-2013 06:23 PM
Led wiring question Tmaxxed Electronics 7 07-07-2013 01:30 PM
led wiring ? yoda316 General Scale Talk 14 01-09-2011 08:09 PM