Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First crawler, First post, first question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First crawler, First post, first question

Hello everyone and thank you for having me. just picked up my first crawler after retiring from years of flying helicopters because flying fast and aggressive 3D style got VERY costly
So I just got a SCX10 II Honcho RTR today and already took it crawling. love the truck but I noticed the back right tire has a pretty pronounced wobble to it. I checked and it is not the axle or rim. is there anyway to "reset" the shape on the tire? I messaged the tire to ensure that the foam itself was not bunched up in some weird way causing the wobble. I appreciate any help
Danger Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First crawler, First post, first question

Not unless you are willing to bake it off and re-glue it. My guess is that it was not aligned correctly when it was glued. These trucks are slow enough that it doesn't make a difference if the tires wobble. You should have seen my first attempt at cutting out the bead of some 2.2" tires and gluing them onto 1/8th scale tires. LOL
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I don't mind baking them off. I will be getting a set of bead locks soon enough.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Most of the time you can massage the foam and get rid of the wobble and for the most part these tires will center themselves as you drive them. But if massaging does not work then you may need to unglue the tire. Do a quick youtube search for "ungluing RC tires", there are dozens of methods of removing tires. To be honest, if you plan to install bead locks soon, I would not waste my time on these wheels/tires. Just consider some aluminum bead lock wheels and new tires your first upgrade.

BTW, Welcome to RCC!

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-17-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #5

Can't go wrong with a Scx10.
big-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Most of the time you can massage the foam and get rid of the wobble and for the most part these tires will center themselves as you drive them. But if massaging does not work then you may need to unglue the tire. Do a quick youtube search for "ungluing RC tires", there are dozens of methods of removing tires. To be honest, if you plan to install bead locks soon, I would not waste my time on these wheels/tires. Just consider some aluminum bead lock wheels and new tires your first upgrade.

BTW, Welcome to RCC!
Thank you for the welcome and info. I watched so many tech videos while waiting for the truck to arrive and baking tires was one of them. Today I noticed the wobble in the right was mostly gone and some of the other tires had some wobble. I guess it just comes with the territory of a RTR truck and it no longer bothers me. I still have many future plans for the truck and a set of Incision steel gears are already on order CV axles and steel links are next, don't tell the wife.

Last edited by Danger Close; 03-18-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Close View Post
I don't mind baking them off. I will be getting a set of bead locks soon enough.
Good and good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Most of the time you can massage the foam and get rid of the wobble and for the most part these tires will center themselves as you drive them. But if massaging does not work then you may need to unglue the tire. Do a quick youtube search for "ungluing RC tires", there are dozens of methods of removing tires. To be honest, if you plan to install bead locks soon, I would not waste my time on these wheels/tires. Just consider some bead lock wheels and new tires your first upgrade.

BTW, Welcome to RCC!
Stamped steel (ie. RC4WD) or aluminum beadlocks are a great investment and a way to personalize your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Close View Post
Thank you for the welcome and info. I watched so many tech videos while waiting for the truck to arrive and baking tires was one of them. Today I noticed the wobble in the right was mostly gone and some of the other tires had some wobble.
When the truck is not in use, store it off the tires, a block of wood, an RC specific stand (there are many brands and types), or something similar will help keep all four tires round and the foams not prematurely softened/squished up.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The foams will probably wear in over time with use and the wobble should become less pronounced. At the speed these things go, the wobble is just more of an eye-sore than any actual problem.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

First crawler, First post, first question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replying to a post question. ShowMeTJ Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 04-03-2016 08:39 AM
post question jim_w Alabama 1 07-17-2013 11:35 PM
First Post, and question already :/ rogue1series Axial SCX-10 11 04-01-2013 02:16 PM
Question About post cameraman Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 03-01-2012 01:04 PM