Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adjusting spring tension for shocks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Adjusting spring tension for shocks.

Hello guys, I noticed my Axial sagging on the rear left side. Even without the body and battery it still sags but gets worse when weight is applied.

I've read it may be possible to resolve by adjusting spring tension via the shock collar but Im not able to locate any real instruction. Has anyone ever done that?
CGReload is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Adjusting spring tension for shocks.

If only sagging on one side, did you check with a ruler or caliper to see if both pre-load collars were adjusted to the same distance? There's nothing saying they have to be, and the only real purpose the collars serve is to set ride height.

If they're both the same, twist the one on the sagging side a few (or several) turns clockwise until the rig looks level to you. If not, adjust to the same number of turns and see if it's level then.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
If only sagging on one side, did you check with a ruler or caliper to see if both pre-load collars were adjusted to the same distance? There's nothing saying they have to be, and the only real purpose the collars serve is to set ride height.

If they're both the same, twist the one on the sagging side a few (or several) turns clockwise until the rig looks level to you. If not, adjust to the same number of turns and see if it's level then.
Thank you! I fixed it.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Please also make sure all the shock oil in the same volume on each shock. I like to measure the shock oil by using a syringe. Fast and accurate oil volume and mess free.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Please also make sure all the shock oil in the same volume on each shock. I like to measure the shock oil by using a syringe. Fast and accurate oil volume and mess free.
I have not checked the shock oil but have noticed the sound of them has changed, sounds very grainy or bubbly. Like a spitting noise when they are pushed down. Is this something that should be checked often with the stock shocks?

Adjusting spring tension for shocks. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Aluminum shocks adjusting nickunger2784 Vaterra Ascender 2 09-23-2016 08:50 PM
SCX10 shock articulation and spring tension Westside Charlie Newbie General 3 09-14-2014 09:54 PM
Adjusting shocks?? jkwrangler08 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 08-06-2009 05:08 PM
Adjusting shocks on Summit or T-Maxxx NJx72 Newbie General 4 03-14-2009 08:02 PM
tension on o-rings S-Dog General Crawlers 9 06-05-2006 12:38 PM