Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Question for those with multiple trucks...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question for those with multiple trucks...

I bought the TRX4 Sport about a month ago and now I'm considering picking up another truck. I mostly want something that I can let my 12 year old son drive at the same time.... but also partly so I can just have another rig.. .

I'm torn if I want to get the sport kit basically having 2 TRX's or picking up the Gen8. I'm super new to crawling and have no plans to compete. So far I have just messed around on my front landscaping, but this summer I would like to get out with my kid to do some trail hikes and trips to parks to play.

I'm curious for those with multiple crawlers..... do you have more than 1 of the same? and if so.. do you wish you had bought something different, or put $$ into upgrades for your first truck? ... or maybe saved up a little longer for a TRX Bronco...

Thanks.

A random shot from last night...

olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Question for those with multiple trucks...

That's a great picture!

I'm a newcomer to the crawling game ( roots in nitro like many of the newer crawler guys). I went thru the same head-scratching as you when I first dipped my feet into the pool so I'll lend "one guys opinion"...

Advantages to sticking with one type:

> You'll potentially become more familiar with the second one quickly and may be better prepared to make more logical upgrades and modifications based on having the same one already.
> You'll likely be able to keep spare parts better organized and that can make wrenching, upgrading, swapping parts, etc much more simple and more manageable.
> If you love the first vehicle then you now have two! This is nice for when one is out of commission for some reason.
> You can really go head to head with your son or whoever else you want to let use one of them since you'll both be more equally matched from the standpoint of apples-to-apples.

But there are advantages to having two completely different crawlers as well:

> Having another platform provides you the opportunity to experience a whole different level of capabilities, limitations, and differences in handling/ driving characteristics, etc. This can help to alleviate boredom with driving as well as wrenching and upgrading.
> Having two different crawlers might permit you to choose one for certain conditions/ trails... or the other one for different conditions/ trails. Subsequently you can build them differently to really highlight their individual capabilities.
> Two different platforms just opens up more potential coolness and excitement as upgrading, changing, personalizing, etc might generally continue to be more interesting and/ or exciting with two different rigs.
> Whether building, running, or just sitting on display... different crawlers with different bodies, wheels, etc, etc is just plain cool!

Obviously there are disadvantages to having your dream rig and then acquiring another completely different one as you may not ever develop the same fondness as you have for your #1 but I think that if you have two decent quality crawlers from companies that boast a long list of aftermarket support/ upgrades, then there shouldn't be any regrets. Although I don't have a Redcat, I keep hearing good stuff about the Gen8. Obviously Traxxas has a solid footing in this as well.

BTW- My first crawler was a TRX4 Defender. My second was the same platform but with the Bronco body. I swore to my wife that I wouldn't get any more after that. My third one was an Associated CR12. At that point I promised her that I was done. My fourth crawler was a TF2 Marlin Crawler. She's numb now which I feel translates into getting maybe one more. You don't know the strength of the bridge until you really put some weight on it! Good luck!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Don't get another sport. Get one of the other trx4 models and put a different body on it. You'll get to see first hand the advantages of selectable diffs and a 2 speed.

A friend just bought a bronco and sold everything that made it a bronco for $160 and tossed on a 4 runner body and different tires & wheels. He is about even money with a more capable rig than any of the rtrs.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have all different trucks, but that is because I want the different driving styles that each truck gives. In your case, I would stick with a TRX4, but go with another flavor, like White-Trash suggested.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have 14 working crawlers right now. Most are axials or Axial based, 1 HPI Venture FJ Cruiser, 1 leaf spring trail stomper based crawler, 1 redcat Gen 8.... Plus 2 more Axial based rigs on the build bench. I had more but decided to thin the herd down last year. I would get what ever catches your eye the most. Which one makes you think, hey, that looks like fun!

Last edited by allanon1965; 05-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can get an axial bomber and add a 2speed kit to it. Costs more and requires some tinkering to make it a great crawler, but you also have the option for speed which some people love. That or a trx 4 bronco.
No experience with the gen8 here. I upgraded the heck out of my first rig before buying a second (first was a bomber). Now I have 5 rigs and I mostly use the bomber for crawling and a custom one I 3d printed. I like them more because I put more work into them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I started with a GEN8, and now I’m looking to add a TRX4 Sport and Axial UMG10 to the mix.

Variety is a good thing IMO.

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice! The TRX Bronco was also on my short list, that thing looks so good out of the box. Too many choices!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The nice thing about having 2 trx4s is having 2 vehicles that use the same parts. Not that much on the trx 4 fails but if you upgrade one vehicle you can save the parts for the other vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Since you already have a TRX4 Sport try the Blazer or Bronco and see what all the extra function of the locking diffs and 2 speed is all about. The extra functions add a whole new level of fun and sometimes frustration. I currently have 5 TRX4s and each has it's own personality.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I started with a TRX4 Bronco and just finished building an SCX10II builder's kit and couldn't be happier with both. The Bronco is a bit clunkier on the rocks and the SCX10II is an absolute mountain goat. It's fun running them together with friends and trying to pull the same lines up the rocks. The stock TRX4 (with HH Trailmaster Sport 21T) and the 10II + Mamba X/HH Puller Pro 2700kv turned out to be identical on the top end speed on 3S down in the trails.

I almost got another TRX4 but felt like with how dedicated the Axial fanbase is, I really wanted to see what it was all about. I'd get some variety, it's fun trying the other platforms.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
RCC Addict

What's the parts availability for the Gen 8 in your region. Traxxas parts seem to be well supplied everywhere. My son and I both have TRX4s. Neither has the stock body any more and so far they've been excellent.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

As mentioned before whatever looks good to you or really catches your eye. I like my axials more that the traxxas but that’s just me. I actually wouldn’t mind a trx just to get those tracks they came out with. I have 2 10.2’s built in different ways with different capabilities and both look completely different. I always prefer a kit over an Rtr. If I didn’t just build the 2nd one I probably would have bought the axial unimog. If you like the trx but just want another one look to maybe just have it perform differently or have a completely different look to it.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

What "high plains drifter" said: in your case, I would recommend to get another of the same kind. You have spare parts to share and get familiar with one - you will have more in the future anyways - LOL

You caught the crawler bug - that's a good thing. My brother was never into it, until I gave him a simple scx10 for his (45th) birthday. Three months later, he is already on his third. Another scx10 for his son and now it needed to be a Wraith.

From the beginning I wanted one that is super scale and needs a lot of detailed work nut I knew there should be more. Then one that you can just take and drive any time any day. Well, then it started with one long wheelbase, one short wheelbase. Then one rather fast trail truck and one that has ultra torque and is slow over the rocks. I wanted to conquer big rocks on tiny 1.55s and haul ass over boulders on 2.2s.
Did I name a brand or recommend one? No. None of my trucks are just one brand. They are all pieced together from all the different brands. Best of either world. Vaterra bodies sitting on a Gmade Sawback. RC4WD hardbodies on Axial scx10. Proline bodies on Wraith cages with SSD axles.... or Walmart toy bodies with D44 axles underneath it.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
What's the parts availability for the Gen 8 in your region. Traxxas parts seem to be well supplied everywhere. My son and I both have TRX4s. Neither has the stock body any more and so far they've been excellent.
Havent looked specifically for gen8 parts, but i do have 2 local shops that have pretty good parts selection, onr very crawler orientated. The crawler shop has the RTR gen8 in stock that Ive been looking at but the Bronco (or trx kit) has really been calling me...
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #16

Go with a different model, actually don't stop until you have at least 12 different models for proper evaluation.
RCruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

lol....

I run Axial because its what I can get parts for @ the Lhs....

I keep my rigs similar due to having spares, and probably have enough spares to build supply my own hobby shop. Its what happens when you have been in the hobby for 20 some years.

So similar trucks are my vote.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

First, it`s a great hobby to share with kids.
I would also opt for another one of the same kind. They won`t be the same for long (as you start trying other wheels and tyres, add some weight or reduce it, start playing with motor settings and so on)
So you both would be able to change over rigs and compare vehicle behavior with new settings or hop-ups. You could also start with identical rigs and customize them in different ways. You could also buy the trx sport kit and build it together with you son - so many options!
And as said before - it will probably not be the last adding to the fleet
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

The only thing I have 2 of is the SCX10.2. Other than those 2, I have a bomber, OG SCX10, Venture, TRX-4 Blazer, and an Ascender. Variety is the spice of life.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #20

I am only responding as this is a very relevant question.
To get another truck "A" or another type. For playing with your son or "new to sport" , person having the same chassis style trucks makes teaching easier. Follow the leader and go.
Getting a truck "B" is fun when wanting different challenges on the same course. Having a different truck also makes playing with another interesting. Why did your truck climb that, why did my truck flip?
Pros for a one chassis type multiple trucks. Minimal support gear. Part failures can be planed for on the other trucks.
Pros for multiple chassis trucks. Different challenges to same course. Learning more about other "trucks" to help other on the trail and in just picking one for your area.

hope this helps someone.
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote

Question for those with multiple trucks... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for monster trucks RC B Virginia 3 01-29-2017 03:42 PM
Question on two old r/c trucks ski Non Crawler RC's 3 12-28-2012 04:16 PM
question about how many trucks you can run? minnesotamudder Minnesota 19 04-19-2011 10:45 PM
multiple trucks per class TK-twister General Crawlers 13 04-02-2008 04:56 PM