Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: motor rotation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #1

Default motor rotation

Just got a King Kong CA30 truck that I want to turn into a crawler. Decided on a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 540 20T. Thought my decision making was done and then when I went to order the question came up as to whether my rig needed a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor. I don't know! Have built a couple of trucks but the motor came with. Can anyone out there help? This is my first post.
prairiedog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: motor rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog5 View Post
Just got a King Kong CA30 truck that I want to turn into a crawler. Decided on a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 540 20T. Thought my decision making was done and then when I went to order the question came up as to whether my rig needed a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor. I don't know! Have built a couple of trucks but the motor came with. Can anyone out there help? This is my first post.
It shouldn't really matter, as you can change the rotation direction within the ESC and/or transmitter and/or by connecting to the ESC in the opposite order. Other than ordering direct from HH, I can't recall ever seeing "motor rotation direction" being an ordering option. All it probably has to do with is how the leads get soldered, and connected to the ESC. Connecting +to+ & -to- turns the motor in one direction, while +to- & -to+ would turn it in the opposite direction.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

First, Welcome to RCC! Rotation actually does matter since the Crawlmaster Pro can be setup with advance timing completely independent from the ESC. The only time it would make no difference is if the motor timing is set to zero. Which direction your motor rotates I have no idea in that chassis, but if you specify zero motor timing it will be a mute issue.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog5 View Post
I have no idea about the motor rotation in the CA30 so I can't help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
First, Welcome to RCC! Rotation actually does matter since the Crawlmaster Pro can be setup with advance timing completely independent from the ESC. The only time it would make no difference is if the motor timing is set to zero. Which direction your motor rotates I have no idea in that chassis, but if you specify zero motor timing it will be a mute issue.
Exactly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 AM   #5

Thanks for the help.By chance ran into a video by Holmes Hobbies in which he talks about motor rotation and timing. Apparently counter- clockwise is considered "normal" rotation and for my slow crawling needs 0 degrees of timing should be about right- for now. This site is a fantastic tool and I look forward to future posts as I develop in the hobby. Cheers
prairiedog5 is offline   Reply With Quote

motor rotation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Rotation FANATICRC Redcat Crawlers 2 03-03-2019 07:51 PM
Motor Rotation WranglerMan RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 03-10-2016 10:03 PM
Motor Rotation direction WarTrader Electronics 16 09-22-2010 08:05 AM
Motor rotation Deezul Newbie General 2 06-07-2008 06:38 PM