Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Thinking of building a truck around a GSPEED chassis. Got some questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #1

Default Thinking of building a truck around a GSPEED chassis. Got some questions.

I'm new to crawlers but not to RC and I'm up for a challenge. I'd like to build my own truck and I like the GSPEED chassis. Should I start with a builder's kit like the SSD Trail King or should I just piece everything together separately? I know that I'm going to want some trick axles and transmission. I'm just doing this for myself, no real reason other than that. Not trying to do any competing.

I'm kinda going in blind here and I'm trying to learn as much as I can to make sure I don't waste my funds. Thanks for any help!
FloridaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Thinking of building a truck around a GSPEED chassis. Got some questions.

I think you’re better of piecing it together. If you’re not comping you probably don’t need to spring for the TGH forward motor mount and t-case and can go with a traditional 3 gear and those can be had fairly cheap, the stealth x is a good and nicely priced option too. A trail king donor isn’t a bad idea either but I’m not sure how easily you would be able to get the transmission to mount up properly. It would be a cool build to see though.

If you do piece it together here are some suggestions:

I’d recommend links from hardcore rc. https://hardcore-rc.ecwid.com/GSpeed...nly-p140888561 You’ll need some 67mm chassis braces which you can get from them too.

Panhard (pick the tgh option on hardcore rc to use this panhard mount) https://www.teamgaragehack.com/produ...53788009&_ss=r

Servo Mount (restocks regularly) https://www.teamgaragehack.com/colle...al-servo-mount

Body mounts
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-kn...abm004/p768825

Lastly, I recently built one of these too. Build thread here. Topher builds a TGH/G-Speed V3

Last edited by Topher Builds; 05-16-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #3

Default Re: Thinking of building a truck around a GSPEED chassis. Got some questions.

Thanks Topher, very helpful info.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Trail King is a great value, an excellent build, a very good performer, and doesn't need any upgrades. And you get to pick your body, tires, and wheels like a proper kit. I have one and can highly recommend it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The Trail King is a great value, an excellent build, a very good performer, and doesn't need any upgrades. And you get to pick your body, tires, and wheels like a proper kit. I have one and can highly recommend it.
Thanks I'll look into this. Still haven't decided what to do yet.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

This may be helpful info, I put this poll up on the GSpeed group on FB to see what transmissions people are running, lots of options.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
This may be helpful info, I put this poll up on the GSpeed group on FB to see what transmissions people are running, lots of options.
Sweet, thanks. I just joined the group.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaST View Post
Sweet, thanks. I just joined the group.
Nice. Scroll back through yesterday’s posts, he’s doing a giveaway you can get in on and maybe start your project for free
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Nice. Scroll back through yesterday’s posts, he’s doing a giveaway you can get in on and maybe start your project for free
Will do, I'm perusing the page now. I did throw out a question asking when the TGH-HH FORWARD MOTOR MOUNT CONVERSION KIT FOR GSPEED TGH-V3 CHASSIS will be back in stock. Looks like a popular choice.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Will do, I'm perusing the page now. I did throw out a question asking when the TGH-HH FORWARD MOTOR MOUNT CONVERSION KIT FOR GSPEED TGH-V3 CHASSIS will be back in stock. Looks like a popular choice.
TGH stuff sells out pretty quick usually but it seems like they restock once or twice a month. Those and the dual servo mounts go fast.

They have their own group too, RC Garage Hacks. Christopher Schuman (TGH guy) is on that one also, they just welcomed a new addition to the family this weekend so may be a little slower to respond than normal.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
TGH stuff sells out pretty quick usually but it seems like they restock once or twice a month. Those and the dual servo mounts go fast.

They have their own group too, RC Garage Hacks. Christopher Schuman (TGH guy) is on that one also, they just welcomed a new addition to the family this weekend so may be a little slower to respond than normal.
Congrats to them on the little one. I'll keep watch for the stock, thanks again for your help.

*edit* Is the dual servo mount so you can run a winch servo?

Last edited by FloridaST; 05-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

correct, servo winch can go in that spot.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
correct, servo winch can go in that spot.
I came across the Holmes Hobbies chassis, looks similar to the GSPEED. Do you know anything about the Holmes and how they compare?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
I came across the Holmes Hobbies chassis, looks similar to the GSPEED. Do you know anything about the Holmes and how they compare?
Aside from the obvious shock mounting differences, they are similar. The Holmes chassis wouldn’t need the metal brackets from the forward motor mount, like the G speed does.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Aside from the obvious shock mounting differences, they are similar. The Holmes chassis wouldn’t need the metal brackets from the forward motor mount, like the G speed does.
Ah ok I see what you're saying. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

Just a heads up in case you’re still looking, the Sherpa expert kits (and sport I think) are back in stock at TGH, for now.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Just a heads up in case you’re still looking, the Sherpa expert kits (and sport I think) are back in stock at TGH, for now.
Cool thanks. I actually ordered a GSPEED TGH-V3 carbon fiber chassis and a few parts from TGH that came in today. I'm well on my way!

I am still on the look out for a TGH transfer case.

Thinking of building a truck around a GSPEED chassis. Got some questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diy Frame/Chassis building Questions Rav3n General Scale Talk 2 08-10-2019 11:45 PM
Nabil’s gspeed v2 comp truck Nabil 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 01-25-2019 10:04 PM
Chassis building questions JDIRCC Tools, and Procedures 32 08-10-2014 06:13 AM
Thinking of building an XR JMiller2065 Axial XR10 4 08-30-2013 09:11 AM