Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie scale build of VW Amarok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Default Newbie scale build of VW Amarok

I'm a total newb when it comes to Crawlers. I've been around RC for many years, but mainly in my childhood and early teen years.

As a family we have purchased an Amarok for some real 4WD adventures.

Now I've purchased myself a Tamiya CC-01 Amarok body with the intention of building a scale Crawler / Trail truck under it. I am a stickler for detail, hence some the suspension ideas below? I am even searching online and on eBay for a bullbar and rear bar that looks similar to the ones' we will have installed on the real car.

I am tending toward an SCX10 ii style chassis using after market rails etc. The key elements I'm looking at are as follows.
  1. Wheelbase of approx 268mm (that's the wheel base of the Tamiya Amarok)
  2. Independent Front Suspension
  3. Leaf rear suspension
  4. 2 speed gearbox

The questions I have are as follows:
I am after some chassis suggestions? I am looking at a KYX SWB chassis which comes in at 270mm wheelbase

With regards to the suspension, I am looking at Element IFS front and RC4WD leaf rear. Would appreciate any thoughts from more experienced builders.

2 speed gearbox, is it worth it? The truck won't be used just for crawling. It will probably get driven more by my kids than serious 4WD crawling and it definitely won't be used in competition.

Thanks in advance.
pmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
amarok, scale build, scx10, swb

Newbie scale build of VW Amarok - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie, willing to learn/build scale safari truck. Ebach Newbie General 7 11-13-2012 12:43 PM
Ford F-100 X-Trail Scale Rig - Newbie Scaler Build - LOTS PICS! mann0mann 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 03-04-2009 02:33 PM
Newbie wanting to build scale Land Rover..PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! hollerlwb Newbie General 13 06-22-2007 03:46 PM
Tamiya CC-01 Touareg Question: Newbie wanting to build scale Rover hollerlwb General Scale Talk 9 06-19-2007 08:06 AM
Newbie Starting a scale build bnoland Newbie General 16 03-07-2007 03:34 PM