Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What's a decent crawler these days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What's a decent crawler these days?

My kid (11 years old) wants to sell the Everest 16 he has and get a 1/10th scale crawler. Something with scale looking body (doesn't have to be licensed though). RTR or ARTR (we do have a Sanwa radio available). I am not too familiar with crawlers and honestly I have no idea what to recommend. The budget will be up to $400. He just crawls in the backyard and takes the truck to a local hiking spots. Nothing crazy.

What would be a good buy these days within my budget? We have looked at the Ascender, Gen8 and TRX4. Should we consider anything else? Good parts availability is crucial though probably he won't break as much as with his SCT. Definitely don't want to wait for a part to be shipped from China.

Your recommendations are appreciated.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: What's a decent crawler these days?

You’re going to get a lot of trx4 votes, and for good reason. They’re very durable and traxxas parts are some of the easiest to get. Like all rtr’s the stock electronics aren’t great, but Id say if that’s on your radar to stick with it.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Currently i am enjoying the TRX4 and Element Enduro. Both are significant improvements over the Ascender platform, my last infatuation. I would recommend both.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The gen 8 is good if it has the axe HD driveline. Not sure if Redcat has updated the scout 2 to the HD drivetrain. If they haven’t the original axles are pretty fragile. And small bearings. I vote trx4 but I don’t own one just want after owning an og gen 8 and left with a lot of broken front axle parts with limited parts availability... it’s a good truck now that I’ve upgraded the axles. But still goes through a lot of bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
The gen 8 is good if it has the axe HD driveline. Not sure if Redcat has updated the scout 2 to the HD drivetrain. If they haven’t the original axles are pretty fragile. And small bearings. I vote trx4 but I don’t own one just want after owning an og gen 8 and left with a lot of broken front axle parts with limited parts availability... it’s a good truck now that I’ve upgraded the axles. But still goes through a lot of bearings

Traxxas TRX4 or Axial SCXIII. Good parts availability. It's within your budget. And both have scale looking models.

I don't have either though I have the original SCX which I still run and love (Jeep Rubicon).
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys. So many votes for TRX4 that I guess this is the direction we will go. I have looked at the specs and the main difference between the TRX4 Sport and TRX4 Defender are the body and two speed transmission, correct? I hope I wouldn't be losing much by purchasing the TRX4 Sport.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

The defender is longer as well, 12.8” vs 12.3” which makes for a bit different experience in how obstacles are approached. Longer wb can climb better but also have more belly hang ups while a shorter wheelbase can be a bit more nimble.

Other than that, the 2 speed and unlockable diffs on the defender/bronco/blazer are a hoot, they add another level of how you’ll interact with the truck, but the sport is a fine machine and perfectly capabale as well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default What's a decent crawler these days?

The Sport has less things that can go wrong down the line and are as tough as they come.

Last edited by HugoBiermann; 09-16-2020 at 02:18 PM.
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

https://youtu.be/Cu_5V2hbapI
My first crawler was Traxxas TRX-4, then I bought Axial SCX10 II 1969 Blazer.
Then I got SCX10 II 1955 Ford F-100.
Sold the TRX-4.
Bought a third SCX10 II.

TRX-4 Sport is not that good, and mine was the TRAXX model with leds and all.

Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I've got a Defender TRX-4 as well as an Element Enduro (among other things) and my vote for a starter crawler for an 11 year-old (with your budget) would be the TRX-4 Sport.

The fact that it has a simpler drivetrain means less servos to worry about, and fewer controls to fiddle with on the radio for a beginner. The TRX-4 has a very durable chassis with no upgrades that are needed to beef it up. The only thing that may go out is the servo - and that is unfortunately common in all RTR vehicles.

I recommend the Sport also because you'll need to cover the cost of the RTR, as well as a decent charger, a couple of LiPo batteries, and a starter toolset. within your budget - and the cheapest RTR is at least $60 more than the Sport.

If building one sounds like fun, there is the Assembly Kit for $60 less, you'll need paint and a motor/ESC and steering servo in addition to your Sanwa radio and receiver.

Holmes Hobbies has an excellent 21t Trailmaster Sport 550-can size motor for it, and the ESC recommendation is the Hobbywing 1080.

You can pick up a DS3218 budget servo from Amazon and it will typically outlast the servo they come with in the RTR versions. I've got a couple, one in my Enduro and one in my older Ascender.

Traxxas replacement parts are available at nearly every hobby shop, and TRX-4 upgrades (should you eventually go down that path) are everywhere.

Just my 2cents!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

TRX-4 weakness: https://youtu.be/HENaiQMJ89w
SCX10 II that has straight axles doesn't have those gears. Less moving parts, less things to break.
https://youtu.be/Cu_5V2hbapI My SCX10 1969 Blazer with upgraded tyres and small cosmetic changes.

Comparing the TRX-4 Sport to SCX10 II 1969 Blazer which video I linked.
TRX-4 Sport costs more, SCX10 II Blazer can be found with $299.

TRX-4 Sport transmitter is very basic. There's no setting to limit the steering(endpoints) which often causes the servo horn strip gears or break the servo.
Is it related to that portal input gear breaking, yes?

SCX10 II 1969 Blazer comes with leds, a driver and basic interior.
It has clear windows and licensed body so it looks like a car.
TRX-4 Sport looks like a toy.

TRX-4 Sport is heavy and the drivetrain has more gears, I got 30% longer runtimes with SCX10 II with the same battery.

TRX-4 Sport is better if you drive it recklessly, the chassis and body can take more beating.
You can use the TRX-4 Sport body in SCX10 II 1969 Blazer, it needs only two extra holes to rear bed.
https://youtu.be/MncvCzJ9oL4

Last edited by Egsise; 09-17-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

The one you will want to drive.

For me, it's actually the SCX24. It just fits my situation perfectly, and has enough hobby upgradability to be entertaining.
Dogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
You’re going to get a lot of trx4 votes, and for good reason. They’re very durable and traxxas parts are some of the easiest to get. Like all rtr’s the stock electronics aren’t great, but Id say if that’s on your radar to stick with it.
+1. Love my trx4. It's a really great truck. I have a defender, well use to ne a defender now a jeep lol. Lots of aftermarket parts and always lhs and online traxxas parts.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I would recommend this setup
TRX4 Sport
Traxxas EZ-Peak dual w/ 2 2s lipos
Traxxas tool kit

The charger is super easy to use, and the tool kit has pretty much everything you’ll need for a good while.

I would add pics, but I’m at my max limit for the month, thanks build thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It looks like you've already made your decision, but I would also chime in for the TRX-4 Sport. The rig is virtually bullet proof. Egsise did make a valid point regarding the weight versus the SCX10ii. In terms of drivetrain durability, I have had ZERO issues with my Sport and it is a rig that I run hard, run often and absolutely beat on - including on 4s packs. I also agree with Topher regarding the RTR electronics, but it's a pretty easy, relatively cheap fix. Hobbywing 1080 ESC and Holmes Hobbies 550 TrailMaster Sport motor. That said, I'd go ahead and run the RTR electronics and motor until they give up the ghost.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again for all the replies. I do have LiPO chargers and tools. Some extra servos and batteries as well as we have other RC cars. My son just want to upgrade his 1/16 crawler to a 1/10 scale.

The SCX10 Blazer looks good and thanks for the recommendation. I will research but I am getting strong push towards the TRX4 Sport. I know that my LHS has Traxxas parts. Not sure about Axial.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

An update: I think we have decided on TRX4 Sport. My kid is calling all local hobby stores to see who has it in stock. :-)

Thanks for all the recommendations and insight.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

One thing I have noticed with TRX-4 Sport drivers. They drive very capable and sturdy crawler, so the driving style is often very competitive and destructive.
With better looking car you drive more carefully.

The amount of fun is the same.

Fyi Axial parts are more easier to get, because Axial has been in the crawler business for five times longer than Traxxas.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:32 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
An update: I think we have decided on TRX4 Sport. My kid is calling all local hobby stores to see who has it in stock. :-)

Thanks for all the recommendations and insight.
Excellent choice
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

My son and I love our TRX4 Sports. Very capable, and they can handle that all too common tumble off rocks well.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote

What's a decent crawler these days? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decent Crawler Android App 4ONDFLR Chit Chat 9 04-13-2011 10:53 AM
decent crawler servo? t-oda Electronics 1 01-01-2011 01:25 PM
So how long till Traxxas comes out with a decent 1/10 crawler??? GSRswapandslow General Crawlers 52 10-24-2009 08:51 PM
Recommend a decent ESC for crawler... Marc P Electronics 33 06-08-2009 11:30 AM