Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Upgrading my Noob Tool Set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #1

Default Upgrading my Noob Tool Set

So I'm finally over my first tool kit, the Dynamite RTR start up set, and looking for suggestions on which direction I should go. Thanks in advance, cheers!
Marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Upgrading my Noob Tool Set

All I use is 2 different hex drivers...some loc tite...that’s about it lol. What all are you looking for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
All I use is 2 different hex drivers...some loc tite...that’s about it lol. What all are you looking for?

Quality hex drivers. The Dynamite ones I have seem to be made of some soft cheap metal. The tiny allen keys, that kill my fingers, seem to work better.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

MIP screwdrivers and drill tips are the best

Buy once, cry once
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I bought generic ‘titanium’ ones on Amazon, paid more than the cheap set, less than the most expensive ones, and they do just fine. Gold color with black handles.

Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Depending on how in depth you want to go in the hobby here are some of the tools I find handy.

- a good set of hex drivers...many to choose from.
- a good set of nut drivers...many too choose from.
- a good X-acto knife.
- a good pair of scissors.
- sturdy tweezers.
- small sturdy needle nose pliers and side cutters.

If you plan on painting many lexan bodies then a pair of lexan scissors and a body reamer are pretty handy to have too.

I don't use them often but a set of precision screwdrivers comes in handy once in a while and so does a set of mini files in various shapes/profiles.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

MIP makes great tools, but thier warranty blows. Wera and wiha also make great tools, tend to last longer then MIP, but the 1.5mm in both brands have tiny handles. Protek Rc for me are the best. Full size handles, and the 1.5mm one has a thicker shaft then the others I listed and own. And you can replace the tips on the hand drivers. All of the ones I listed are good quality tools, I'd recommend protek 1st, MIP a close second and the German wera and wiha a close 3rd tie.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #8

MIP hex drivers, esp. the 1.5mm and 2mm sizes. saved the rear end of my gen8, the MIP stuff is so sharp and tight I was able to beak loose screws I thought I had completely knackered. Milwaukee stubby ratchet driver is nice too for certain things. I found that cheap tools lead to more headaches than the tools themselves are worth. you don't need a full MIP set, they are pricey af but do yourself a big favor and get a couple of the most commonly used sizes.
PunkRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
MIP makes great tools, but thier warranty blows. Wera and wiha also make great tools, tend to last longer then MIP, but the 1.5mm in both brands have tiny handles. Protek Rc for me are the best. Full size handles, and the 1.5mm one has a thicker shaft then the others I listed and own. And you can replace the tips on the hand drivers. All of the ones I listed are good quality tools, I'd recommend protek 1st, MIP a close second and the German wera and wiha a close 3rd tie.

those sound super sweet!
PunkRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have sets of MIP and Protek hex wrenches. Both have really great tips that are sharp and withstand use/abuse.

I give the edge to the MIP tools because I feel their handles are a little more comfortable in my hand.

Sure, the MIP tools are a bit more expensive than others but, as others have said, you get what you pay for. They are totally worth it in my book.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #11

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I won’t buy MIP again. The tips on both the 1.5mm and 2.0mm snapped off clean. The 1.5 snapped backing out a blue threadlocked set screw on a wheel hex, and the 2.0mm doing the same thing with a screw pin on a driveshaft. Hunted my old cheap Integy ones out to finish the job and they’re back in the toolbox now. Lol. Might give the Proteks a try next time I buy any. I know heat treating metal too much can make it brittle and maybe I got a bum set, but not gonna buy those again.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I won’t buy MIP again. The tips on both the 1.5mm and 2.0mm snapped off clean. The 1.5 snapped backing out a blue threadlocked set screw on a wheel hex, and the 2.0mm doing the same thing with a screw pin on a driveshaft. Hunted my old cheap Integy ones out to finish the job and they’re back in the toolbox now. Lol. Might give the Proteks a try next time I buy any. I know heat treating metal too much can make it brittle and maybe I got a bum set, but not gonna buy those again.
Did you try contacting MIP about this?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:14 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I’m very very happy with my Vanquish drivers.

Exceptionally better handles than my ProTek Tru Torques and the antiquated MIP yellow screw driver handles.

Good heft and the bearing end cap can’t be beat.

I’ve put the 1.5 through it’s paces changing ring gears and no issues.

All tips are just as sharp as when I got them.

I have a spare 1.5 tip if something goes haywire, so replaceable tips are a plus.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Did you try contacting MIP about this?
I didn’t. Won’t hurt to email them and see if they will or won’t do anything. If they’ll replace them for free I’ll give them another shot. If not, no biggie either. I’ll give another brand a try.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post

Exceptionally better handles than my ProTek Tru Torques and the antiquated MIP yellow screw driver handles.

I have a spare 1.5 tip if something goes haywire, so replaceable tips are a plus.
I did take a look at those and with that kind of endorsement I’ll give them a try if MIP won’t replace their’s. The MIP tips do fit exceptionally well, but I won’t buy any more drivers that don’t offer replacement tips. I still recommend MIP tools since my experience is quite rare.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I did take a look at those and with that kind of endorsement I’ll give them a try if MIP won’t replace their’s. The MIP tips do fit exceptionally well, but I won’t buy any more drivers that don’t offer replacement tips. I still recommend MIP tools since my experience is quite rare.
I don't think its that rare. I broke 3. One was brand new, first screw I put in and then took out for test fitment of a driveshaft, broke in 3 places. MIP said oh well. Thats when I switched to protek.

Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post

The Vanquish handles are without a doubt the best, most comfortable handles I've used on precision drivers. The tips are also of higher quality than any I've used, having no experience with MIP.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Im a bit of RC tool collector (Craftsman and harbor freight in 1:1 )

I have:

Everything MIP makes except turnbuckle wrenches and couple misc drivers
Everything Vanquish Makes
Most of Locked Up
Old school knurled Dynamites
Old school Integy

MIP are no doubt the best in fitment, you wont strip screws. I have never had durability issues, but i take care installing screws and heating to remove if loctite. Extended wrench times can get cumbersome being fluted. But thats where speed tips come in

Vanquish as mentioned is absolutely amazing and the bearing cap is fantastic when really laying down screws. Most comfortable without question. Again, no durability issues, but I have seen other have problems especially with the 1.5 tips.

Locked up, I started with their scale tools and picked up some others. very nice feel like the dynamites (again the old ones) and very affordable for the quality. I will place tips in the VP handles for assembling beadlocks with lots of screws though.

Old school knurled dynamite, absolutely fantastic. I only have the basic metric and standard set, but I like how short they are, pretty much round with a little extra grip and I think their tips are the same as MIP in tolerance. These things have not let me down in what seems like 15 years maybe.

Integy.... Another 15+ yr old set. The handles are typical integy quality as the tips dont point straight but they hold lol. The tips though, are actually very impressive in how they hold a tight fit in screws and dont round out.

Im not sure what youre wanting to spend but great drivers are not that expensive. I use MIP daily just because I have them and a cool stand i made . Vanquish is mostly because ill collect almost anything that says Vanquish because im a "fanboi", but the handles are amazing. Locked up is used for scale hardware duties. Dynamite and integy are small sets for camping and hitting the trails...... Hope that helps. I dont have experience with any others except Losi which I would not recommend.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #20

I have a Wiha hex driver and it works very well. Has the spinny end so I can hold it in one hand and spin with my fingers.
moerdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrading my Noob Tool Set - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tool set Dagstar Newbie General 10 04-23-2015 04:04 PM
Tool noob question... wraithfreak General Crawlers 3 09-08-2012 09:01 AM
good tool set? minnesotamudder Tools, and Procedures 1 08-29-2010 11:02 PM