Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Searchin' for Mike Golip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #1

Default Searchin' for Mike Golip

Hello from germany!

I'm searching for Mike Golip because i like his CPE CLAW 50/50 Crawler. I like to know what type of parts he used for this car (except electronics) and where to buy.

CPE got an CLAW complete 50/50 Kit, but i need the skid-plates and tires/rims too. It's not nice to built a copy but i like this car much and it would be nice to have a car that looks like his CLAW. You can see the picture on

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...72626389.15415

near the middle. I think other guys here can help me, too. My main problem is my location. In germany there's nothing to buy, and when there's something available, it's too expensive at a unrealistic high price.

So i need to know where to get, brands, types, what's finally included in the CPE kit, are my electronics okay to crawl?

2x 55T 540 size Motors (a gift from a friend of RC-Trucks), Carson No Limits ESC (Forward, Reverse), 2-Channel Acoms Radio Technisport, Sanyo Stickpack around 3000mAh and a Panasonic 8,4V Stickpack, 2x Upper Torque Servo Futaba (don't know the type, it's down in the basement, also a gift from the Trucker-guy). Does it work for the beginning or longer? Which Pinions are best? Will the ESC proper work? (I got a tuning vented cooler somewhere, too).

So it would be nice to get help and it would be great to meet Mike Golip.

CPE doesn't answer my E-mail

Thanks in advance, best regards,

Dennis aka XbX

P.S.: Please excuse my bad english, i was a bad student...or is it okay?
XbanditoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default .

CPE ist ein Händler auf diesem Forum Zum Händler-Abschnitt dieses Forums einfach gehen Und ihm eine Anzeige schicken Übrigens ist dein Englisch dann die meisten Leute hübsches gutes besseres, die hier in den US leben

Hope My German Is Good I Used Google Language Tools

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Hi there, i built a CPE CLAW, and just love it, i have 3 other clods with different chassis set ups, but the one i enjoy driving the most is the CLAW , try to pm Brett from CPE here on the forum, he will answer any questions, also here is a link to my build, hope that helps

Cpe Claw Build, #2 Prototype
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ahh, Wir haben mehr Deutsch sprechende Leute hier. Viel gluck deine teile finden
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

At first many thanks to all for welcoming me friendly!

tmaxxking1: thanks for your compliment, that gives me a little safety to know i'm not talking completely nonsense, hehe.

cartronicshn: Many thanx! I'll send him a message, but you can help me too. Have you bought the complete kit? what was included and do i need additional parts to get my CLOD-axles mounted? Are there things to consider while building the CLAW?

Regards,

XbX
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Well, Mike Golip used "Big Joe" tyres, if this helps.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #7

Do you know more about them? Only tires that fit on the CLOD-rims, or do i have to buy extra rims? Is "Big Joes" a brand or the type of tires?

Thanks in advance,

XbX
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XbanditoX
Do you know more about them? Only tires that fit on the CLOD-rims, or do i have to buy extra rims? Is "Big Joes" a brand or the type of tires?

Thanks in advance,

XbX

Yes,Big Joes is the name of a tire from Pro Line
Another thing ,the Big Joes are 40 series tires so if you want to get them you will have to get bigger wheels
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDCW1&P=ML
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

the complete kit comes with everything to mount to your axles, i personally am running moab xl with cheyenne beadlocks, th CLAW works even better with weight added to your wheel/tires, i'am also running brushless motors with mamba 25 i bought from JRH here on the forum
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default That's Me.

I'm the Mike Golip you are looking for. I got the Claw from the Guys at CPE to beat on for awhile, [ free I might add] It was a lot of fun. And performed way beter that I expected it to. As for the Pictured Claw chassis, That was all Clod axles, GPM Knuckles, a TR2 ESC and a Hitec 645 front steering only setup. The Skid plates I fab'd up myself at work. They are sheetmetal hand formed to the axles, So, they would'nt eat up any ground clearance. They fit tight, maybe lost 1/16th" of an inch GC. That set of axles is my 2.2 shaved set, and I figured I'd be pretty hard on the chassis, so I didn't want to destroy the axles in the testing process. With a little wheel speed that thing would really climb well. That is the CPE Claw advertisement truck that's on ebay every week or so. The body was a well used HPI Bronco, cut up to be a chassis cover more that a show piece. That chassis had Pro Line Giant Trac tires on it. On one of 5 sets I have of those. Got to love em. I used "Big Joes" on an entirely different chassis. They don't compare to the Moabs, M2K's, or Giant Trac tires for crawling. That was an CPE 16"wb EVO. The Silver and Blue Atomik bodied tuck on the CPE photo gallery. Not an Ideal crawler but was a excellent racer basher, very wel balanced, and had a ton of usable wheel travel. As far as the Claw chassis, a good Brushless setup for some wheel speed would be nice, and you do want to weight your wheels and tires to slow down, control some of the wheel hop, or axle wrap the springs tend to give it. Other than that, it's a good setup. I have a Clod Axled Boyer Tuber I'm working on, a Torsion 17" ClodSuper, and a 2.2 Clod currantly.
LMK if this helps you any.
tyerfryersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #11

Yeah! Hi Mike!

That helps me cause now i have one to ask for what's to buy for the crawler i like most. Actually i have the german answer to loulou's ((YELLOW-CRAWLER)) made of the New-Bright Jeep Rockcrawler, but i want to have a CLOD-based crawler and i found the CLAW in the eBay-offer of the CLAW-Kit. From the beginning i wanted to have a Bronco, not another Jeep or Pick-Up-Truck, and the chassis looked nice to me. It's the perfect car you have!

What i like to know is what i need to build a CLAW like yours, i don't think you wanna sell yours :-P - so i got a few questions:

Pro Line Giant Trac are the tyres? What else do i need? Rims? Adaptors (CLOD to 17mm/19mm/14mm)? Special rims/wheels? (My dictionary says "Rims", others say "Wheels"...)

What is delivered with the complete CLAW-Kit? On the pictures there are shown body-mounts, steering-links, servo-mounts and the chassis.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the skid-plates and how to mount?

According to the high shipping costs to germany is there a way to get everything together from one seller or is only CPE himself the only seller?

What's your Motor-setup? Which pinions do you have, which type of motors, 55T? Is it enough to lock the diffs with ipoxy resin? Have you used an alloy difflocker? And it looks like you've the variable motor mount, am i right?

What do i need to make the rear axle non-steering?

So, the last question for today: What's a TR2 ESC?

Thanx in advance,

XbX aka Dennis

Last edited by XbanditoX; 03-01-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.

Ok,
First, make sure that is the chassis you want. 2nd, you can only get that claw chassis from CPE. That design is unique to that company. Buy the complete kit, it come's with all you need for that chassis, there are no shocks or mounts needed, so you can save a few bucks there.
I had integy 55t Lathe motors on that setup.
I had M&L 9 tooth pinion gear and M&L motor mounts. They sell them as a set, the motor mount is specific to the 9 tooth pinion so there is no setting up gear mesh, makes that a little easier too, as it would be one stop shopping for you there too.
Here they are http://www.mnlart.com/
The gears can be locked in a number of ways, you can buy lockers from CPE, or you can use hot glue, epoxy, or JB Weld. I like to use a locker. There are vendors onb this site that sell them on here also. CPE also sells adjustable motor mounts for other pinion gears, but they don't sell pinion gears yet... {Are you listening Brett?} You could get the chassis and most parts needed to finish it minus the electronic from Brett. Here has lathe motors also.
The Giant Trac tires you are going to have to source from eBay or once you can run an add in the Wanted section here on RCCrawler. Someone here will have a set to sell you. They are out of production and fairly hard to find now. Maybe not the best crawling tire depending on who you talk too, but they are at the top of the list. you will need to get stock Clod wheel for those tires. mine on that truck were narrowed to 2-7/16" wide. Rear axle lock out kits are also available from CPE, and vendors on this site too. Or you could make you own, search the forum.
A TR2 ESC is a, Tekin Rebel 2 Electronic Speed control.
As for the skid plates you could make you own, PM me your e-mail me your address and I'll send you some pics of those, I still have them I think, maybe we could work something out on those, but I think you could probably make some, I usually don't run any skid plates as they eat up precious ground clearance. I had them on there as I was beating the crap out of that chassis, and I took every bit of it.
Hope this helps.
Talk with Brett over at CPE, he can probably set you up with alot of what you need to get that chassis on it's feet. They have alot of good parts available.
The other vendors on this site would surely appreciate your business also.
Hope this helps you out some.
tyerfryersc is offline   Reply With Quote