Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Monster truck vs Rock Racer/Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #1

Default Monster truck vs Rock Racer/Bouncer

Hi guys,

Can a rock racer or bouncer perform the job of a crawler? although I assume not quite as well- but kinda close?. I already have stuff that can rip around with speed so I was thinking a more dedicated rock crawler is a good idea. But Blasting around still seems fun.

Also, what is the pro/con of a solid rear axle? Is that a scale thing? Durability thing?

I was lookinig to get back into crawling again, and thinking about getting a redcat ridgerock, but it also occurred to me that maybe getting high quality stuff might be a good idea too. Maybe a wraith? or one of axials rock racers or bouncers (what ever a bouncer is?)

I already have an arrma granite, and tekno sct410.

Used to have a redcat RS.

Thanks
bladefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Monster truck vs Rock Racer/Bouncer

Welcome aboard.
I'm in N Portland.

I would think a rock racer could be turned into a decent crawler.
Higher turn motor and a lower center Gravity.

pro/con of a solid rear axle.
I don't think there is any IFS that can flex enough for crawling.
My 1:1 is IFS, Not so good at flexing.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The axial RYFT, (bouncer)does not crawl well, it requires momentum to get over things, due to open diffs, tall gearing, and, unsensored motor.

The Wraith and Bomber (racers) are better with locked diffs, but much slower due to brushed motors. You can add power and speed, but it costs broken parts.

A dedicated crawler wont be fast, (Capra) but will handle rocks that make you blink twice when you see it. They typically have very low gearing (High crawl ratio) and have immense control to give you just the right amount of tire slip on the rocks.

As far as the advantages of solid axle vs Independent, The solid axle is prefered on the rocks due to leverage and ground clearence. As one side of the axle climbs a rock, it gains ground clearence, noth the case with Independent axles. Independent axles have the advantage in speed due to the lower CG.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

IFS doesn’t turn as sharp either.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you are comping and technical crawling, having to get through tight gates you not going to be have a double duty RC and it be competitive. I am not sure about rock racing but I am assuming the it would be the same with a purpose built rock racer.

If you are playing around and having fun it only matters if you think it matters.

In 1:1 a solid axle is usually better for crawling, As one side goes up the other is forced down which helps maintain traction.

There are the high dollar 1:1 Hammer Vehicles that do both, not sure how well you could do that in the RC world.

I have a wraith 2.2 that is pretty fun but it even with 2.2 tires it can't crawl nearly as good as my C1 with much smaller tires.

My C1 below would smoke my my Wraith all day long technical or comp crawling but for higher speed getting over stuff I wouldn't eve try it with my C1. My C1 is an Enduro with AR44 axles and upgraded electronics.

If you want a crawler / racer all in one I would choose a Wraith, Capra or ryft (whatever the new one is, never touched one but seen pictures of them) over a crawler rail chassis type.

If you are just wanting to hit it and have fun over "doing it right" the old Wraith 2.2 is allot of fun.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-03-2021 at 09:46 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys!

I decided to check out some videos after reading what you guys were saying.

I checked out a video made by the JANG a long time ago regarding the wraith. INow I'm thinking a dedicated crawler would be a better option for me. Especially since I have faster cars, why get something that doesnt crawl well. guess i was hoping I'd hear that rock racers and such were crawlers with the option to go fast.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #7

Hey Zukiiholic- do you ever go to meldrum bad in milwaukie?

where do you like to go in PDX?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefan View Post
Hey Zukiiholic- do you ever go to meldrum bad in milwaukie?

where do you like to go in PDX?

Yes, but it has been a long while.

I need to go back one of these days.
Work has not let up. Busy busy.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefan View Post
guess i was hoping I'd hear that rock racers and such were crawlers with the option to go fast.
Fast is relative when it comes to the rock racer type vehicles. They don’t handle the speed well and usually have tons of body roll so a Bomber that can do 20-25mph feels really fast because you are always on the edge of control. 20mph out of an Arrma or Tekno feels like you are standing still.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

dont let these guys discurage you if you have skills and money you can make any rig do what ever you want if you want to crawl.with a rift or a indrpendent suzpention monster truck it can be done if you want to go fast with a wraith or a bomber you can do that too all it takes is skills and money
what rig is best for what ever you want to do is gona be differnt from what rig is best for me and for what i want to do

if you dont have the cash or the skills to build what you want buy some thing more dedicated to what you want it to do and modify to be better az you go

just becauze a rig was sold as one thing or another dozent mean you cant make it do something else just as good

look up harley on you tube he made a trx6 go what 74 mph or something stupid like that and you will get a good idea of what kind of skills you need
i think he also made a gofast in to a crawler too but im not 100% sure on that lol

Last edited by ferp420; 08-06-2021 at 07:55 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
dont let these guys discurage you if you have skills and money you can make any rig do what ever you want if you want to crawl.with a rift or a indrpendent suzpention monster truck it can be done if you want to go fast with a wraith or a bomber you can do that too all it takes is skills and money
what rig is best for what ever you want to do is gona be differnt from what rig is best for me and for what i want to do

if you dont have the cash or the skills to build what you want buy some thing more dedicated to what you want it to do and modify to be better az you go

just becauze a rig was sold as one thing or another dozent mean you cant make it do something else just as good

look up harley on you tube he made a trx6 go what 74 mph or something stupid like that and you will get a good idea of what kind of skills you need
i think he also made a gofast in to a crawler too but im not 100% sure on that lol
Just depends on your expectations.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Just depends on your expectations.
if you have the skills and the money your only limited by your imagination and physics and even those can be fudged alittle bit
Old 08-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
if you have the skills and the money your only limited by your imagination and physics and even those can be fudged alittle bit
Even with all the skills and money would your imagination tell you to build a 2wd Bandit as a crawler?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

why not it would make a good.baja bug but thats were physics comes in to play your limited by 2wd however that dosent mean you couldent make it 4wd and make it into a decent crawler thats your imagination
Old 08-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
why not it would make a good.baja bug but thats were physics comes in to play your limited by 2wd however that dosent mean you couldent make it 4wd and make it into a decent crawler thats your imagination
but a baja bug is not a crawler.

The A arms on that type basher will not work like the straight axles a a chassis that is rails. From the beginning of the build they are even different.

But if you are just going to imagination (not actually do) then I guess the sky is the limit?

Last edited by MOguy; 08-06-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
but a baja bug is not a crawler.

The A arms on that type basher will not work like the straight axles a a chassis that is rails. From the beginning of the build they are even different.

But if you are just going to imagination (not actually do) then I guess the sky is the limit?
i see your thinking is inside the box the rig came in

open that box my freind
Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
i see your thinking is inside the box the rig came in

open that box my freind
Show me a purpose built Baja Racer that can compete with a purpose built crawler, crawling? Show me a purpose built crawler that can keep up with a purpose built racer Baja Racer baja racing.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Show me a purpose built Baja Racer that can compete with a purpose built crawler, crawling? Show me a purpose built crawler that can keep up with a purpose built racer Baja Racer baja racing.
wow what if any of that has to do with what we were talking about
but if you realy want to see those things maybe go to king of the hammers ill show you all.of those.

have you ever fabricated anything ever taken a idea and built it from scratch or from a doner

once i built a wheeler out of a 80s econo box soccer mom mobile that put jeeps to shame 90% of the time

if you want to wait a.while.for.my slow arse.to finnish ill take you for a ride in my full sized vw bug crawler thats not built yet its still in storage waiting to be cut up
Old 08-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
wow what if any of that has to do with what we were talking about
but if you realy want to see those things maybe go to king of the hammers ill show you all.of those.

have you ever fabricated anything ever taken a idea and built it from scratch or from a doner

once i built a wheeler out of a 80s econo box soccer mom mobile that put jeeps to shame 90% of the time

if you want to wait a.while.for.my slow arse.to finnish ill take you for a ride in my full sized vw bug crawler thats not built yet its still in storage waiting to be cut up
This has EVERYTHNG to do with what we are talking about. If you build a vehicle for multiple purposes there will be compromises but you seem to think there won't be. If you can, SHOW ME how I am wrong.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-09-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This has EVERYTHNG to do with what we are talking about. If you build a vehicle for multiple purposes there will be compromises but you seem to think there won't be. If you can, SHOW ME how I am wrong.
i was talking about taking one kind of rig and building it in to a differnt rig to do something it was never ment to do

but if you realy want to see rigs built to do everything i can show you anytime
you just have to show up we can go down to the lake bed and see all kinds of rigs built to do all kinds of stuff

Last edited by ferp420; 08-09-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Monster truck vs Rock Racer/Bouncer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra-4 Racer wins Rock Bouncer Hill Climb durok Chit Chat 3 09-26-2017 06:03 AM
Rc4wd copperhead as a rock racer/bouncer? noname0383 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 08-03-2013 02:12 PM
EQR Tamiya TXT-1 monster truck racer william g Non Crawler RC's 0 03-30-2012 08:53 AM