Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New rims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #1

Question New rims

Since I am new at this i am having trouble mounting 2.2tires on a bead lock aluminum rims.It’s seems as though the rims don’t have enough space when putting them together. I’m not sure if I need longer screws or maybe a tire bead modification?
Any help or advise would be great . Thank you and Happy Thanks giving
FreddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New rims

What wheels and tires are you using? I'm guessing it's proline tires giving you problems?
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyJ View Post
I’m not sure if I need longer screws or maybe a tire bead modification?
Probably just need two longer screws to start to "get the sandwich squished together". Then you can add in the stock screws and replace the long ones you used to start. This is actually very common for bead locks.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

you just need to try harder
the last thing you want is the bead pulling out of the beadlock
if you just cant get it they do make a tool to that presses the wheels together so you can start the screws
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I got one of these. Very helpful. Could I have made one myself? Sure, but for $14 it's well worth the time savings in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30401126858...Cclp%3A2047675
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help I will give that tool a try and I didn’t realize this was a common issue. Thanks again. 👍
Old 11-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help I will give that tool a try and I didn’t realize this was a common issue. Thanks again. 👍
I got one of those tools a year or so ago and it really helps. I only use it to get a few screws started and it works like a charm.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #8

I was also thinking Portal axles any input and or best ones to use would also be great thanks again guys.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was also thinking Portal axles any input and or best ones to use would also be great thanks again guys.

It would help if you would provide a little more context about your project. What are you working on, how do you plan to drive it, what sort of terrain will you be driving on, etc.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-25-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

I am working on a Honcho and I was thinking that more clearance would be great without installing a lift kit. I am open to any suggestions also I am just trailing this vehicle but some areas I could use a bit more clearance. Thanks👍
Old 12-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
I am working on a Honcho and I was thinking that more clearance would be great without installing a lift kit. I am open to any suggestions also I am just trailing this vehicle but some areas I could use a bit more clearance. Thanks��
I am just wondering what the difference is between portal axles and lift kits?

Last edited by FreddyJ; 12-05-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

so heres my opinion its not cheap though
first get some 2.2 tires and aluminum beadlocks wheels thats probably gona run close to $100 right there
then get some new axles its a trail truck so your not climbing rock faces and cliffs so i would get potmetal axles there heavy and helps keep your rig right side up cause lifting it any will make it tippy
i would go for ar60 style axles there not portal axles but there vary wide making the rig more stable
if you do want portals go with capra axles there wider than scx10 axles and you can get them with potmetal housings aswell ether style your gona look at spending around $150

the portal axle has more gearing inside so there slower than a straight axle great for rock crawling not so great for trail riding there are more moving parts to break and there is more waight to them and they do raise the center of gravity slightly
the upside to portals is more clearance more gear reduction and less torque twist and you can use the same shocks you have already the portal boxes will provide the needed lift for bigger tires
straight axles are simpler faster and have a lower center of gravity but they have less ground clearence and you would need new shocks to lift the truck

in my opinion your in a new truck price range a few bucks more and you could be looking at the redcats the traxxasses a clod buster maybe just something to think about

Last edited by ferp420; 12-06-2021 at 07:27 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I am just wondering what the difference is between portal axles and lift kits?
Portal axles raise the center line of the axles themselves, which gives the axles more ground clearance. They also increase the center of gravity (cog) though.
Lift kits just raise the vehicle, but the axle clearance remains the same. Lift kits raise the cog dramatically, much worse than portal axles. The popular option now is one of the various aftermarket lcg (low center of gravity) "belly dragger" chassis. They get the truck as low as possible, run the shocks in droop & use either standard or portal axles.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #14

Thank you guys for the response. I totally agree with what both of you guys are saying and I will take this into consideration as I build this Honcho. Thanks again ��
Old 12-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I like SSD. They give you the measurements on their site so you know if they will fit. They will have the opening, backspacing, width. They also have the option for Proline tires. Proline tires have a thicker bead than others. I believe the Proline option is the blue inner ring.

You will probably pay about $100 for them but you can choose ones you know will fit. The also have there hub hub spacers/weights. Vanquish spacers will also fit but you have to use their screws.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

New rims - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd OEM rims on SCX10? Roxlox on proline rims? Plis help:) msdelr Axial SCX-10 27 05-21-2010 01:50 PM