Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help me pick a crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2023, 09:36 AM   #1

Default Help me pick a crawler

I've been looking at getting an actual crawler instead of using a short course truck for trail running, and going over rocks. For Christmas I picked up my kids a set of SCX24s, and I am finally at the point where I'm going to get a crawler of some sort.

Normally, I'd pick up a kit but I'm not sure how far the rabbit hole I'm going to go.

My top 4 picks are as follows:
  1. scx10.3 Early Bronco
  2. Vanquish Phoenix rtr
  3. Scx10.3 base camp
  4. Element Enduro Knightrunner

Last edited by diceman42; 03-29-2023 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Poll imploded
diceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me pick a crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman42 View Post
I've been looking at getting an actual crawler instead of using a short course truck for trail running, and going over rocks. For Christmas I picked up my kids a set of SCX24s, and I am finally at the point where I'm going to get a crawler of some sort.

Normally, I'd pick up a kit but I'm not sure how far the rabbit hole I'm going to go.

My top 4 picks are as follows:
  1. scx10.3 Early Bronco
  2. Vanquish Phoenix rtr
  3. Scx10.3 base camp
  4. Element Enduro Knightrunner
I’ll start off by saying those are all great choices, and you can’t go too far wrong with any of them.

Next I’ll give you my choices in order, and why.

1. Vanquish Phoenix RTR

I haven’t bought one (yet), but I’ve had several Phoenix kits. The vs410 chassis is great, I like straight axles, vanquish makes great stuff, it performs well and looks to be well setup out of the box.

The body is also pretty nicely detailed and setup for future mods, lights, interior, bed sides, etc.

2. Scx10.3 Base Camp

I just got one of these and have only done some basic yard driving, but it’s my favorite 10.3 so far, from a performance/build potential stand point.

If cost is much of a factor, I could easily recommend the base camp over the Phoenix for that reason alone.

3. 10.3 Early Bronco

It’s a fantastic looking body, has straight axles, and still plenty of room for upgrades or mods.

Only downsides for me is initial cost, and the body is quite huge. I had one briefly, and it definitely scales much larger then most of my other “1/10” rigs. For some reason it’s hard for me to get past that.

4. Knightrunner

Last on my list because I do not like the element ifs. IMO it looks less scale than just having a solid axle. Plenty of SAS 1:1 tacos in the world. The ifs just isn’t proportional. It’s also setup in small tires, with a decent sized body and a long wheel base. It’s also pretty expensive for what you get, and for me doesn’t hit the right balance of scale and performance.

Let us know what you end up with
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm going to try to push the Early Bronco up your list. Most of this forum's users know me to be partial to them, and I won't deny my bias.

Here's why I think you should pick it:

Size:

I like the oversize proportions of it.

Scale:

For a first crawler, you're getting a lot. Full depth detailed interior, roll cage, inner fenders, lights, licensed body & tires and probably more that I'm forgetting. Since you're used to a shortcourse truck, this is the opposite of what you're used to.

Skill Level:

As a new crawler, all of the stuff I just mentioned is probably not stuff you're going to be able to produce on your own. But you can enjoy it in the Bronco that is capable and ready to drive out of the box.

Upgrades:

There are a lot of scale options available now for the Bronco you'll be able to tinker until your hearts content.

Cost:

The Bronco is $100 less than it was when initially released.

Chassis:

It's built on Axial's newest "trail"chassis. This means it won't likely be discontinued anytime soon and there's lots of ways you can take the chassis.

Full disclosure:

Of the 4 models you mentioned, I only own the Bronco and the Element. If you don't buy the Bronco for yourself, you should buy one for me. I would enjoy another project Bronco.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Vanquish by a lot. The front end of the 10.3, whether "regular" or Basecamp, is terrible, from the single-shear Panhard mount to the crinkle-cut panhard bar. Shock towers are annoying, and the steering servo mount is beyond irritating.
I would take ANYTHING Element over a 10.3, any day of the week. The Phoenix RTR doesn't sacrifice much of anything from kit form, and will without question be the best performer out of the box, and with the growing aftermarket support, the most capable overall.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Given the choices that you listed, Phoenix RTR without a 2nd thought. I’d also look at the Element Ecto. I have a Gatekeeper kit build with a Ecto body and it’s a savage performer on the trails or the rocks. All are pretty good choices, but that was my 3 cents. Good luck!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely coming at this from more of a scale appreciation.

The one thing I really liked about the Bronco was the 8thish scale detail. The same was/ is true of the Knight Runner. Whereas I'm not enjoying the looks of the base camp & vanquish bodies but those can be replaced.

I've read a number of complaints about the Vanquish rtr esc as well.

DrIsotope
Quote:
The front end of the 10.3, whether "regular" or Basecamp, is terrible, from the single-shear Panhard mount to the crinkle-cut panhard bar
I'm not sure what you're referring to given the size of these vehicles, and how it handles rocks.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You WILL break the panhard mounts off, it's not an if, it's a when. If you try to change out the steering servo, get ready to shim, adjust, and even cut to get it to fit,
and lord help you if you want to change the servo horn to anything other than the precise same length and drop of the stock horn.
You say you like the Bronco for the look, and don't like Basecamp or Phoenix but acknowledge that the bodies can be changed-- so I have to assume you're aware
you can put the Bronco body on literally whatever platform you want. Don't buy a rig just for the body.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Vanquish out of those, for sure.

I like the looks of the green Element Ecto for a trail truck. I think the swaybar/trailing arm setup is pretty sweet, as well as the behind axle steering. Also, it's annoying how well those things keep up with my trucks on the rocks, with only slight modifications.

https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...40117&CartID=1
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
You say you like the Bronco for the look, and don't like Basecamp or Phoenix but acknowledge that the bodies can be changed-- so I have to assume you're aware
you can put the Bronco body on literally whatever platform you want. Don't buy a rig just for the body.
As i said above, I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole I'm going to go. Why get a base camp, and spend more making look like the Bronco than just buying the Bronco? It's a similar pov to the vanquish. Is it that much better than the scx10.3? I know I'm likely in for a replacement esc.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The 10.3 is a trail truck that can crawl a little. The Phoenix can crawl or trail equally well. AFAIC, there's no comparison... in terms of performance.
If you just want the looks, get whatever catches your eye. For rock crawling, the 10.3 isn't in the same league as anything from Vanquish.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The capability people are referring to is likely rock crawling performance, in contrast to trail truck performance.

The Vanquish and Element are probably noticeably better on technical rock lines. The Bronco is a heavy, big bodied pig. A bull in a China shop when it comes to rock crawling.

Trail trucks don't need to be high performing. 4 wheel drive, and one or two locked differentials... you've got a solid trail performer there. The 10.3 is a trail truck. The Vanquish and Element are comparatively rock crawlers.

The Bronco more than gets the job done on the trail. There, I think its size / weight are an advantage, at least as far as suspension movement.

I've had mine for about 2.5 years. I usually drive it in 2nd gear on 3S. I haven't broken anything on it yet. I also replaced the steering servo with an ECO Power servo, because I stole the stock servo for a monster truck.

The ECO Power dropped right in, apart from needing a different horn due to the spline tooth count.

If you like the Bronco, and are just after a trail truck there's no reason to overlook it. But if you're after a rig that will spend most of its time on the rocks, then your other options are actually better.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman42 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely coming at this from more of a scale appreciation.

The one thing I really liked about the Bronco was the 8thish scale detail. The same was/ is true of the Knight Runner. Whereas I'm not enjoying the looks of the base camp & vanquish bodies but those can be replaced.

I've read a number of complaints about the Vanquish rtr esc as well.

DrIsotope

I'm not sure what you're referring to given the size of these vehicles, and how it handles rocks.

Based on that, it sounds like maybe you should just get the bronco.

Every rig has its downfalls, and for the most part those can be overcome without too much trouble.

I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about what may or may not be an issue on your first rig. Just get something you like the looks of, and get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

I will echo what @twade984 said, except I'll push the Element Ecto into second position ahead of the Axial 10.3's.

Can't beat the quality of the Vanquish RTR or any other version of their rigs.

Element Ecto is one of the best performing rigs out of the box.

The Axial 10.3 are ok, but not my favorites as of late. And I will also echo what @DRIsotope said about the panhard mount. That would have to be replaced with a beefier alum mount ASAP!

Also agree with @DRED805. Spot on analysis!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

all rtr electronics suck so dont let that be the deciding factor when making your choice
bodys these days are getting vary exspensive so thats something to think about
the performance of scale trucks basicly comes down to the driver and drivers preferances they will all need something and they will all break eventualy
its hard to go wrong even todays cheap rigs are leaps and bounds better than big name brand rigs from 10 years ago
dont over think it its a toy get what you like and make it your own and enjoy you will eventualy get another one anyway these are like potato chips you cant just eat one

Last edited by ferp420; 03-30-2023 at 08:45 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
all rtr electronics suck so dont let that be the deciding factor when making your choice
bodys these days are getting vary exspensive so thats something to think about
Yeah, that was one of the big things i was looking at when going between models. You can really sink a lot of cash into the scale look without touching most of the handling.

I'm leaning towards the Bronco over the Phoenix. No matter what I'm going to have to replace the receiver to bind to my mt44.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:37 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

If performance is a high level concern I'd skip the bronco.

The bronco is a great choice if you like tipping the rig back onto the wheels after you roll. It looks great, but the ones I've crawled with spent a lot of time wheels up.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:44 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post

The bronco is a great choice if you like tipping the rig back onto the wheels after you roll. It looks great, but the ones I've crawled with spent a lot of time wheels up.
there are was to keep you on your wheels

you can mod the driver or you can add a brass hole
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post

Fun, and enjoyment are my primary concern. As I posted above, I'm not sure how far down this rabbit hole, I'm going to travel.

Netvruzer showed that the scx10.3 bronco can be lowered without having to replace anything.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I got a 10.3 right before Axial fest 2020. I just broke my panhard mount this winter on trail run with a bunch of friends. It was 15°F out and I took a tumble off of a log and it snapped.... in all fairness 2 trx4 also broke their panhard mounts that day. We have no rock hear in west Michigan only very hilly woods and sand near lake Michigan, so we are what I guess would be trailing so take that in consideration.

I have a vanquish vs10 pro that is my number 1 favorite rig, the build quality is matched by no one in my opinion.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:04 PM   #20
Ots
Quarry Creeper

When it's all said and done you'll either buy the Vanquish or wish you had, and I suggest the kit over the RTR (more dough in the short run; less in the long run).

I spent almost $2k before I realized this.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me pick a crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What crawler to pick sschuette General Crawlers 8 01-14-2020 05:01 PM
Help me pick a crawler jgorm Newbie General 11 12-15-2012 03:03 PM
Help me pick my first crawler/basher Phoneguy Newbie General 18 08-07-2012 01:01 PM
FNG needs to pick a crawler federally Newbie General 13 06-11-2011 10:16 AM
Help me pick my first crawler rcmonkey Newbie General 13 02-03-2011 09:19 PM