Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Control speed downhill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2023, 01:47 AM   #1

Default Control speed downhill?

I'm running a brushless motor with a Tekin RS Pro. It has a drag brake, and that part is fine. However, crawlingdown hills, a tiny bit of throttle speeds up the truck way too much. On flat ground, the tiny bit of throttle is fine, and has good control. But downhill, it's like it coasts and speeds up much more than the bit of throttle.

I see the FOC type esc's would (should?) solve this. But I like to solve problems without buying more stuff if I can. Any suggestions?

The only trick I know is to steer a lot. With locked diffs, the binding causes a lot of drag. Drag brake is often too weak or too strong. Jamming reverse is just wrong. Lol.

Thanks for any info. Colin.
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2023, 02:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Control speed downhill?

What's the weight of the rig? I'd like to think the issue is either the type of brushless motor it is or that ESC's drag braking capabilities. I'm not too familiar with Tekin, but if this were happening to something like a HW Fusion Pro, the setting under Drag Brake Rate would be adjusted accordingly.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This happens in my Gmade Military. I assumed it was due to the 2 speed/transmission design. I may have assumed wrong.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As soon as you touch the throttle the drag break turns off causing the rig to freewheel it's not a drag break setting
Different company's call this setting by different names and of course I can't seem to remember what any of them call it right now lol

The newer escs should have this feature but the older ones won't
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So different manufacturers call it different things. I had to look it up at tekin since I haven't owned one of their products in a while.

What you are looking for is a setting called "active drag" in the hotwire
setup. Looks like it should be in the brake settins tab. Without that setting the esc only applies your drag brake setting when the transmitter is in neutral range. So yeah as soon as you get a bit of throttle it releases all the brakes, active drag will fix that.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to see if my esc is new enough to support the active drag feature.

My TRX-4 is pretty stock. I'd guess it is 8 lbs. No brass, just some aftermarket wheels that are a bit heavier.

I went out with it the other day again. I played with the drag brake some more and was able to manage a bit better. Ensuring I have a decent neutral space on the throttle and some expo helps get "just a bit" of throttle instead of jumping forwards.

I'm going to try some lower gearing also. Curious to see if that will allow the truck to "coast" better or worse.

Colin
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/zvGCOfVIXVM

This is the feature you want to turn on, but not sure if yours specifically has it.
You said you don't want to buy anything, but a more crawling-oriented ESC will offer you a lot more low speed control than the RS PRO which sort of strikes me as an on-road car/stadium truck/drag racing-oriented ESC from Tekin's site.

There's nothing wrong with looking for solutions to work with existing equipment, but there is a point of diminishing returns, or sunk cost fallacy said more bluntly. Lowering gearing will make your drag brake stronger, but it's going to make your potential wheel speed much slower as well. You'd be handicapping your truck for the sake of an ESC that isn't catering to your needs. Of course you could gear down, and run 3S packs if you aren't already.

You sound like a prime candidate for a Quicrun Fusion Pro, which has FOC. Wait for AMain to have some healthy coupons.

Last edited by CamoColton; 08-01-2023 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spellin'
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote

Control speed downhill? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
controlling downhill speed Brushless ESC Hobbywing arlan_jacob Electronics 5 03-29-2015 03:55 PM
problem with downhill control with novak mongoose samaruki Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 15 09-30-2011 05:18 PM
Downhill speed control is 'touchy' VeryBumpy Electronics 1 04-20-2009 10:15 AM
What ESC's will control downhill rolls Howard Electronics 16 11-16-2008 09:35 AM
single speed setup vs. speed control traxxas junky Electronics 18 08-28-2007 11:28 PM