Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Rc Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2023, 03:59 PM   #1

Default New to Rc Crawling

Hello everyone, hope you all are well. I just got my first 1/10 scale rig for rc crawling(Traxxas trx4 defender) it’s a great little guy with a lot of the feature I thought might be helpful for crawling, including locking front and rear difs, 2 speed transmission, and nice shocks. I was just curious is there anything y’all suggest doing in order to do well on trails? I have taken it on a few and it’s an insane amount of fun. Thank y’all for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dscarpenter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to Rc Crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscarpenter7 View Post
Hello everyone, hope you all are well. I just got my first 1/10 scale rig for rc crawling(Traxxas trx4 defender) it’s a great little guy with a lot of the feature I thought might be helpful for crawling, including locking front and rear difs, 2 speed transmission, and nice shocks. I was just curious is there anything y’all suggest doing in order to do well on trails? I have taken it on a few and it’s an insane amount of fun. Thank y’all for your time

My suggestion is just drive it. The more you drive it the more you will find things you want to change. Every rig is different, and every driver is different. what works for some doesn't work for others.

Common upgrades include lowering the weight from the chassis adding more weight to the axles, to lower the cg. and stickier tires better electronics... ect.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscarpenter7 View Post

My best advice is also just to drive it and see what (if anything) it lacks for your specific usage.

My second bit of advice is enjoy it for what it is, a fairly capable scale rig. If you get bit by the performance bug, don’t dump a lot of money into the defender trying to make it a comp truck. Before you know it, there won’t be anything left.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck....that's a great rig for sure. The advice above is the way to go for sure. Drive your new rig and figure out what you like about it and what improvements you think it needs. Depending on what type of terrain you're driving on it might be fine the way it is or you may find you need some mods. Either way have fun with your new tiny truck!!
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A hello from another new-comer to the hobby ... have to agree with just drive and enjoy it to start with.
JimrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
My best advice is also just to drive it and see what (if anything) it lacks for your specific usage.

My second bit of advice is enjoy it for what it is, a fairly capable scale rig. If you get bit by the performance bug, don’t dump a lot of money into the defender trying to make it a comp truck. Before you know it, there won’t be anything left.

Thank you for the advice. I will do that 100%

dscarpenter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 06:25 PM   #7

What you have purchased is a very capable, fun rig, Drive it for what it is.
Axle Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

the only down side to the trx4 is the electronics some have used them for years with out issue personally they just make smoke for me as soon as I plug them in
that sead all rtr electronics suck butt that's the best upgrades in my opinion once you use decent equipment it's hard to go back to rtr junk
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I usually change out the electronics as soon as I get a new rig. RTR stuff is < so so
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:53 AM   #10

Quality tires from Proline, JConcepts or Pitbull are the best way to improve RTRs IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I agree with JatoTheRipper.....put some good quality tires on there and run it. No need to do much else until something quits like the motor, then upgrade it.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Rc Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawling Hobbezco Newbie General 1 03-09-2016 04:42 PM
Rock crawling vet, new to rc crawling. LowLock Newbie General 3 02-23-2011 07:53 AM
New to RC crawling old to real crawling need help Longgun101 Newbie General 9 11-11-2009 07:05 AM
anyone crawling near vegas going to be crawling on monday or tuesday? KILLER KRAWLER Nevada 4 08-09-2009 08:07 PM