Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: New tires and wheels for my Slash BOOGIE BOOGIE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default New tires and wheels for my Slash BOOGIE BOOGIE

So for the upcoming Slash Bash I thought maybe I could come up with some better tires to help make up for my lack of off-road racing skills.

I had a few sets of Proline Dirt Hawgs and Proline Dirt Works tires sitting around but I wanted to find some other wheel options to give my Slash a unique look. I was cruising the local Hobbytown and found a pair of HPI narrow width rockcrawler wheels, they looked about right so I picked them up.

Next I narrowed a set of the Proline Dirt Hawgs and a pair of Dirt Works. I narrowed them by taking out one row of lugs from the middle. They turned out to be about the same width as the stock Slash tires. Now for you guys running big brushless power and 3S batteries, I don't know if glued tires will survive. Heck, I don't know if the glued tires will even survive my 11T Holmes Hobbies Handwound with 8 cell Cheapbatterypacks.com packs, but you never know until you try right. I am going to try the foams at full width for extra sidewall support for now.

Here is the Slash with the narrowed Dirt Works up front, narrowed Dirt Hawgs in back, and the RPM wheels. The track width grows just a tad over stock but the tires still stuff in the fenderwells.
To get this track width you need to replace both the front and rear wheel hexes with the thin ones that come with the RPM wheels.
In the pictures I trimmed about 1/8" off the passenger side fenderwell to keep the tire from touching even at full stuff. The driver side fender is not trimmed in these pics.
I love the look of the Dirt Works tires, they really fit the CORR truck look and the RPM wheels look great on there. I hope Proline considers making a tire like this.

For this setup I used:
Proline Dirt Hawg II tires (pn 1070-00) narrowed
Proline Dirt Works tires (pn 1072-00) narrowed
RPM Narrow wheelbase Revolver wheels (pn 82222 -black, 82223 -chrome)
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Next up, I thought I'd try some more wheels. I was digging through my stuff and found the set of RPP aluminum beadlocks that I won in Montana. Thank you for that by the way Corey.

These wheels have about the right offset and the track width is good using the narrow RPM hexes, but I had problems with the inner ring rubbing on the front axle carrier when the wheels were turned. I saw two solutions to this.
1) Remove material from the inner beadlock ring to clear the axle carrier.
2) Space the wheels out further.

I decided against number one because I didn't want to make that commitment until I was sure all this would work out. So I used the stock Slash hexes on the front for now.

With the wider hex the track width increases a bit but the tires will still stuff, with a bit of fender rubbing. In the pics the front fenders are still with the drivers side uncut and about 1/8" removed from the passenger side.
In the rear the pictures show the wheels mounted with the stock Slash rear hex and the rears fenders uncut. Later I put the narrow HPI hexes on the rear and the wheels clear the suspension fne. This also reduced the rear tire rub.

In the front I found that the wheel nut would bottom out on the threads before contacting the wheel. I used a plastic spacer from Ace Hardware that fit right down in the center of the wheel and spaced things perfectly.
In the rear you only need this spacer if you use the narrow RPM wheel hex.

The RPP wheels are the lightest of all the aluminum beadlocks I have, another reason they got the nod.
The stock wheels and tires weighed in at 18oz for all four.
The RPP wheels with tires weighed in at 24oz for all four wheels and tires. Leaving off the centercaps and screws will save you about 1oz for all four.

I'm going to go with this setup for now. I like the looks so the weight penalty is offset by that. Plus I still need to make two more Dirt Works tires and the beadlocks will allow me to play with what tires work. I'll get pics up once I'm done trimming the fenders as well.

So just like with crawlers, don't be afraid to go out there and experiment with your Slash to make it all yours.
Attached Images

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-01-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Nope..

That looks really good Grizz. I'd think the aluminum would slow you down with all that mass spinning around.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Grizz, you have given me ideas for those unused wheels i have sitting around, the tires look very nice indeed.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
That looks really good Grizz. I'd think the aluminum would slow you down with all that mass spinning around.
I'm sure it will. But this isn't a serious race truck, I'm still in it just for fun so the looks are more important.
If it proves to be a real problem I'll switch to the RPM wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Very nice Grizz, you have given me ideas for those unused wheels i have sitting around, the tires look very nice indeed.
Thanks Carlos, lets see what you come up with.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Lookin' good Grizz! I like the black look. Great job on the narrowing of the Dirt Hawgs. Super clean as always
createacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice griz!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by createacrawler View Post
Lookin' good Grizz! I like the black look. Great job on the narrowing of the Dirt Hawgs. Super clean as always
Thanks Troy, I like the look of the black wheel with a silver ring too.

One note I forgot to mention with the RPP wheels, you have to take the screw out that holds the camber adjustment rod to the wheel hub and turn it around. So that the screw head is on the forward side of hub. Leave the turnbuckle where it is though.

Here's some better outside shots with the new wheel and tire combo.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looks GOOOOOD! How do the narrowed hawgs perform??? I already have a set narrowed, so I'm curious.
spot me 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot me 2 View Post
Looks GOOOOOD! How do the narrowed hawgs perform??? I already have a set narrowed, so I'm curious.
Not sure yet, I just finished mounting the tires last night so I have not driven it yet.

The big test will be Wed night at the dirt track races.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Just personal opinion here. But it would be cool if someone made a shorter chassis, so the front tire wasnt so far up in the front fender well, and pre runner fenders are usually higher cut too.

But I do love it!

Its a crappy paint drawing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...untitled-1.jpg
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have tires and wheels to cut up, i don't have my slash yet, damn customs, it's been sitting a week there, hopefully i will have it tomorrow, but for now all i can do is look at your and be envious, Grizz i will say it again it looks awesome.

losi tires next to the hawgs

next to the rusty on geo's

Grizz i also have a set of 8shooters i could use, how much did you narrow your tires? just the center row?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

You've sure got some options there Carlos.
Quote:
Grizz i also have a set of 8shooters i could use, how much did you narrow your tires? just the center row?
Yes, I just took out one row of center tread. Be sure and cut it out properly so that there is still a space between the lugs when you are done. The strip should be cut so that there is one row of lugs and a space between the rows on the strip. Confusing?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
Just personal opinion here. But it would be cool if someone made a shorter chassis, so the front tire wasnt so far up in the front fender well, and pre runner fenders are usually higher cut too.

But I do love it!

Its a crappy paint drawing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...untitled-1.jpg
I agree with you on all points. I like the photochop too, that's prolly what mine will end up looking like once I finish clearancing for the tires.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have tires and wheels to cut up, i don't have my slash yet, damn customs, it's been sitting a week there,
HA HA, You know they are playing with it!!!! It might have a few LITE SCATCHES when you finaly get it.:-P
spot me 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

grizzz,

if you are so worries about how the body fit, try what i did,

move the body mounts forward, just move them to the other side of the shock towers, makes a huge difference, try it and post pics, you will be amazed
c0astie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0astie31 View Post
grizzz,

if you are so worries about how the body fit, try what i did,

move the body mounts forward, just move them to the other side of the shock towers, makes a huge difference, try it and post pics, you will be amazed
I have heard of that trick before. I'll give it a shot and see how things work out.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The weight shouldn't hurt to bad...

That ford sticker you are thinking of putting on will...
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I put on some RPM revolvers with a set of Proline Dirt Works tires. I used the rears for a Pede/Rustler front and rear, They fit nice with no mods. All you have to do is use the RPM hex in the rear, and the stock wide grey hex up front. Then you have to get non flanged Traxxas wheel nuts and it is a simple bolt on. I put on some bead lock rings I had from TCS for some bling.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Keep it real

That looks tight Chrisly I finally broke down....mine's on the way
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote