Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Revo to Slayer conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Revo to Slayer conversion

So I got bored, realized I had most of the parts to do the conversion, and decided to do it.

Started with my Revo 2.5, swapped out the arms that I sourced from eBay for around $10. After that I cut down the existing axles to fit, whipped up some new steering and pushrods, and removed the second servo. I mounted up some Geolandars that Offroader5 sent me onto a set of Axial beadlocks that I had laying around. 12mm hexes from a Slash, and a Proline Hard Corr body left over from my TT project finished it out.

I've still got some suspension tuning to do, and after a particularly nasty 30 mph rollover this evening, one toe link needs replaced. The body needs some more trimming as well.

Also I'm having trouble keeping the Geo's on the wheels. Whenever a wheel unloads, it rips the bead right out. I imagine in a couple days I'll have it sorted out and ready to rip!

Here's a few pics to start with...more to come later!

And because this is a crawler site, the all important flex shot!

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-09-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I had a twitch to do this with my Revo 3.3, but have yet to get into it. I have too many other projects going Not sure why the Axials' won't hold tight...you may need to just try some different beadlocks. You need a deeper backspace anyways.

Or better yet, just glue them to those beadlocks
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Yeah, the backspace is all wrong, but I can't do any better without going to the Slash wheel. I had to clearance the carriers just to get them on that far. I'll have some pics of that tommorow.

I was thinking of putting something in the bead slot to hold the tire tighter. If that won't work, I've got a couple new tubes of superglue standing by.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Didnt' get any more pics today, but...

Took it out to the park today to stretch its legs. Definately going to need a wider gearset.

I glued the outer beads on the tires and they seemed to hold, but at some point the inner beads on the rear tires started to let go and I managed to fill the tires up with sand from the volleyball court. Needless to say they got glued on as well when I got home dumped them out.

Body is trimmed better, wheel wells are huge to accomodate the Geo's, but they hook up nice, so they're staying. If I do it just right, I can still get it to wheely.

The stock Revo springs are waaaay to stiff. I'm running silvers all around, and while they seem ok for the back, the front end just bounces around.

When I painted the body I didn't have any "proper" poly paint, so I used the Bulldog paint prep, and covered that with silver and black Krylon. It took many tumbles today and its all still intact, not showing the slightest bit of cracking or chipping. It looks like my future paint options just got alot wider!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Were did you find the Bulldog paint prep, I've been to a few places and nadda?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Got it at my local autobody supply store. They had a few different brands, but I was already familiar with Bulldog, so thats what I got. I think it was about $15 a can.

I had some trouble getting it to spray nicely though, it kind of splattered on instead of a nice even coat. I think it was the can as I don't remember it spraying like that. Consiquently, it looks a little wierd on the silver areas, almost like I brushed it on...lol. Good enough for a basher though, I tend to not spend too much time on paint as my bodies always end up thrashed.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The slayer has different gears in the trans, get them and you'll be geared tall enough to get it really moving.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
The slayer has different gears in the trans, get them and you'll be geared tall enough to get it really moving.
I noticed that as I was peruzing the Traxxas site the other day. If I can get it cheap enough, I may just get a whole trans and be done with it. It all depends on how far I want to go with this build. Honestly, I think I've lost my taste for nitro...that and I have to drive an hour and a half to get fuel.

Once I get this thing done, it may get cleaned up and listed in the classifieds...
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Scored a transmission and front skid/bumper. Trans goes in tonight.

I'm a bit miffed though, I broke the pullstart last night as I was getting the suspension dialed in.

The body has taken some more abuse and the paint is still holding up fine.

I'm very happy with the Geo's, I'm getting awesome traction with them. On the asphalt it'll still stand up on the rear wheels, and it'll traction roll in the grass, though I've been tweaking the rear suspension to lessen it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Got the trans mounted, the pull start fixed, and burned a couple tanks today before I lost a pin out of one of the rear axles.

On pavement I'd honestly have to say that its faster than it was as a Revo. It flat out hauls. Still traction rolls like a mother though...

On loose dirt it was lots of fun, with the rear springs being so stiff it just slides around. I got a fairly respectable drift out of it.

Not wanting to call it quits just yet, I pulled the front axles out, swapped a pin back to the rear, and went 2wd. Great for donuts, bad for going straight.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sorry to thread-jack... I've been seeing a lot of E-Revo rollers on eBay going for fairly cheap, been thinking of getting one and making an E-Slayer out of it. Is this possible or is the E-Revo the wrong chassis?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Suck it up!

The E-Revo chassis is the same principal, though from what I've heard, the battery compartments won't hold a large lipo. That, and its all plastic.

edit: I wonder if the E-Revo trans will fit into the Revo/Slayer? That would simplify things quite a bit...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-15-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

What.....no video yet?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
What.....no video yet?
The last time I tried to upload a vid (a short, 30 sec clip) I clicked "cancel" after 4 hours. Rural internet is not bandwidth friendly...

btw: checked out an E-Revo chassis on the 'bay. The trans sits way foreward in it, right up against the front shock mounts. I imagine I could mod the aluminum chassis to make it fit if I really wanted to...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-15-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Finally have some new pics. Got the bumper and a ghetto spring setup going on. This thing is way fun on loose dirt, a tad bit sketchy on grass, and uncontrollable at speed on pavement. Besides the tires ballooning enough to rub the fenders, it wants to traction roll really bad if it finds any grip at all.

Another thing I really don't like it the lack of ground clearance. Nearly anything will send the front end flying up in the air, especially if you're hard on the brakes.

I really really really need to get some Slayer springs, and also mess around with some lighter shock oil. All I have is 40wt, and it seems way too stiff.

But anyway, on to the pictures...

Full compression (front bulkhead on the ground)...

Full extension...

Carriers clearanced to fit the 2.2's...

Rear springs are Losi's, unknown rate, but heaviest I had...

Front springs are from a T-Maxx, cut in half and doubled up...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #16

Looks great, think I found my next project! Have a spare 3.3 Revo sitting around...
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Scored some Slayer parts super cheap on the 'bay. On it way are springs, shock oil, pullstart, and sadly, proper Slayer wheels...

It turns out the Axial bl's won't stand up to the might of a 3.3. I spun one of the hexes so bad, both the wheel and the hex itself are totally round! Both were totally melted, and had the materials been the same, I'm sure they would have fused together.

Its too bad, I really liked those Geo's. I wonder how hard it would be to cut them to fit the wierd-ass Slayer wheels...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Got everything in and working again. Springs and shock oil made a huge difference, as I thought they would. Still likes to chassis slap when it lands though...only way around that would be to limit shock compression, and I'm not sure that that would be a good thing.

The Slayer wheels/tires are alright. Traction is fair, though not as good as the Geo's. Definately not the same, thats for sure. Where I could slide the Geo's around a corner, these will grab and hang. On the pavement they are pretty good. I can almost pull a wheelie, but the rear skids hits the ground and unloads the rear tires.

VERY unstable at high speeds if there is any traction at all. I can't tell how many "death rolls" this thing has seen just trying to make a simple course correction running down the street.

Gravel is still this things worst enemy. It gets hung up in the rear suspension and knocks the e-clips off of the axle pins. I think a rock guard is in order here. That, or cover the axles in some large shrink tubing...

Also - got the pull start swapped out only to find that the one-way bearing was also going out. God, I am starting to hate nitro...
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
........God, I am starting to hate nitro...
Huh? Just now?

I've got a Revo behind me on the hobby bench that has at a minimum of $1000 into the race build....and I have run it once since it's updating.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Huh? Just now?
lol...no, its been building up for quite a while now. Nitro used to be such a great stress relief and totally worth the aggrivation. But now that I don't have any good places to tear it up, it boring and a hassle. Flat-landing a monster truck sucks ass. Once I get this new gallon of fuel burned up, it'll probably get sold off or traded for a really kick-ass Slash...