Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Brushless Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Brushless Summit

I Got my new summit last friday, Ran it through a pair of battery packs then ditched the stock motor and ESC and installed a MMM 2200kv combo. I had to increase the Punch control to 100% and set the motor timing and start power to their lowest settings to make it somewhat controllable, and thats just with a pair of 4200 mah 6 cell NiMh packs.

I have a pair of 5 cell 4000 mah lipos coming that I plan on running in Parallel to give me 18.5v and 8000mah. Should be interesting with those in it

Also, for anyone doing the conversion you need to make sure the motor wires are braided together and zip-tied tight to each other and make sure the motor wires do not go anywhere near the reciever to eliminate glitching. I did not do that when I first installed it and the glitching was horrible but now its gone

Mine is the white one and the yellow is my buddies.....we are both running the MMM 2200kv systems
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

How much runtime do have on it? Carnage?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have about 3 charges on mine and with all the glitching with the first two charges I thought for sure I was gonna break something, if I let off the throttle after a full speed pass it would instantly go into reverse and just start flipping and flopping down the road, but nothing broke. I have been doing tons of wheelies and high speed runs and also took it to our comp yesterday and played on the Big rocks at Sam Lewis state park with no breakage.

But only time will tell since 3 charges on the batteries is not a good test of long term durability.

The yellow one in the pics did break a front diff yesterday but it was while he was locked in low gear, diffs locked and 1 front tire wedged in a log pile pretty good. In those situations something has to give :-(
Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well it didn't take long to break it.....the output snapped off the rear differential
the T-lock and diff itself are fine just snapped the output clean off

I will have to call traxxas and see if they can send me a replaceme nt.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

You gonna tell them it broke AFTER you installed a huge brushless system?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
You gonna tell them it broke AFTER you installed a huge brushless system?

My thoughts as well.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yep .....I just called and talked to a repair tech and told him I was running a MMM 2200kv system on 12 cells of nicad ( with plans of running 5s lipo ) and broke the output shaft of the diff......I wanted to give them as much info as I could to see what they would suggest to minimize breakage, he said that they did in fact have a run of bad output shafts ( was a hit or miss thing and they all break in the same spot ) and he is sending replacements via fedex 2 day express.....he also informed me the new outpus will NOT break, he said they have a few "test" summits currently that are running the MMM 2200kv system on 6s lipo and are trying to break the trucks and can't, I was assured that with the updated outputs I will be able to beat on it as much as I want with no breakage.

The tech told me they are taking the brushless summits and getting the inside front tire spinning till it baloons in a turn and slamming the diff locker in......and no breakage.

So I am hopeful that my BL summit will live with the updated parts because I can't go back to stock.....It would be very boring after experiencing the BL Power

I have had Traxxas vehicles since the Bullet was released in 1990 or so and they have always been exceptional as far as customer service. I sent them an original EVX from my gen 1 e-maxx years ago to get a repair estimate and they sent me a new updated novak version free of charge !!

Last edited by Crawlin4fun; 03-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I sure how what the Traxxas tech guy said is true!
I hate thinking I'm driving on eggshells when I have the diffs locked!
Egnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Couple questions:
How's the crawling with brushless? Any cogging?
How are the stock tires holding up with the higher speed abuse?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I know what you mean....If I can't run it hard I don't want it !

The tires baloon a good bit and aren't very well balanced but its not uncontrollable.

It does cog some with the 18t pinion while crawling but with the stock 14t pinion the cogging almost dissapears.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post
The tires baloon a good bit and aren't very well balanced but its not uncontrollable.
How are they holding up? Any tearing?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Not yet but it's still a little to early to tell how they are going to hold up, I have only run it for about an hour total.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #13

Sounds like a bad batch of shafts. We have one bone stock sitting at the hobby shop I work at with a rear output shaft snaped clean. Looks like metal fatige to me.
crimsonrain22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

How do you like the Summit? I have a birthday coming up and I am thinking of telling the wife I want this, she keeps asking what she can get me.
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #15