Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: what would be a good monster truck basher?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #1

Default what would be a good monster truck basher?

Hey guys just wondering what would be a good monster truck basher. i looked at the traxxas grave digger 1/10 rc and found more cons than positives. i am actually looking to buy a 1/10 scale monster truck. i was looking into getting a traxxas rc. i kind of want a 2.4 ghz car so i dont have to worry about keeping it withing 30 feet of me without worry. i have been saving up a few paychecks from mcdonalds so i was thinking of going a step bigger than the 1/24 scales that ive been buying.
RCGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

The stampede platform is a good one. The monster jam versions are a "base" model. If you want to go 2.4 and brushless, get the VXL. You can go 4wd, but for a first time rig the 2wd is kind of hard to beat. Easy to maintain, parts galore, great support.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: what would be a good monster truck basher?

I just bought the Traxxas 1/16 Gravedigger for my son and that thing is awesome. For a full size basher though I'd definitely stay with Traxxas for durability. As Zj above said a Stampede VXL is a good start or an EMaxx isn't bad either depending on your $$$ situation.
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also take into consideration the room you have to play around in. Space is key. If you have a small space, even 1/10 becomes boring in a hurry, more so going 1/8 like a Maxx. Truth be told, one of the most fun trucks I've ever had was a 1/16 eRevo. Fast, fun, durable (once you put RPM front arms on it). As a play/fun/basher it was cool, and a bit smaller than the Pede. But seriously, really factor that into your equation, it makes a big difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

thanks for the imput guys. i think ill get a vxl. i have to purchase it online since my county i live in is lame and doesnt have a hobby store. i will wait to get it though i spent $1500 on a new car. 1999 Mitsubishi mirage with 66,125 miles.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
Also take into consideration the room you have to play around in. Space is key. If you have a small space, even 1/10 becomes boring in a hurry, more so going 1/8 like a Maxx. Truth be told, one of the most fun trucks I've ever had was a 1/16 eRevo. Fast, fun, durable (once you put RPM front arms on it). As a play/fun/basher it was cool, and a bit smaller than the Pede. But seriously, really factor that into your equation, it makes a big difference.
That's exactly why I love the 1/16 Grave Digger, my son and I can rip it up and down the drive way or across the lawn without needing a whole of space. Not that we don't have the space since I live on roughly 6 acres of mostly open land, but its easier to throw the battery in for my son and let him go crazy right by the house where I can have a supply of batteries.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I really think Traxxas hit a home run with that chassis. Think of all the vehicles that run off that platform: MERV, the rally cars, Grave Digger, Mustang, mini Slash, mini Summit. I still think they should make a mini 4wd buggy version to compete with the Losi miniEight.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

i live on a 1/2 acre of lawn i want to say. and i was thinking of taking it to the park a few times where i live. theres some sick jumps i could do there. plus i am currently working on making my micro trail trekker "water proof" so i could take the monster truck with me when i go fishing.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I really think Traxxas hit a home run with that chassis. Think of all the vehicles that run off that platform: MERV, the rally cars, Grave Digger, Mustang, mini Slash, mini Summit. I still think they should make a mini 4wd buggy version to compete with the Losi miniEight.

Yep, every 1/16th scale vehicle they make has the same chassis, just different arms and some suspension changes! A buggy would complete their offerings!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I agree completely, driving space makes all the difference. Not to mention larger vehicles aren't always more fun, some places are just more fun with smaller vehicles. Sounds like 1/16'th would be a good step up coming from 1/24'th scale.
On a side note, I would check product dimensions, Traxxas' scale system seems to be a bit out of whack, since they consider both E-maxx and Summit 1/10'th scale . I opened my E-maxx box and was all , It dwarfs my 1/10'th stadium truck.
Rocklobst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I know what you mean about scale. Put a Slash against a touring car. Pretty funny.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i think my e-revo brushless trumps all of your ideas, if you feel like spending $650. a blast to drive and super strong. my bud came over yesterday and he brought his new SC10RS and that thing was a blast to drive and was uber strong. we were "crawling" it by pinning it over the piles of rocks in my backyard. thing was taking some serious abuse, only thing ending our day was the drive pins falling out somewhere, oh yeah, and some seriously shot bearings.
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just got my Slash VXL and put some 2.2 Mashers on it, and its a blast even on 2s... If I had to choose between the Slash and the Stampede, I would get the Slash unless you plan on getting an extended aluminum chassis for the Stampede. Even just the Velineon in the Slash can be a bit hairy, so I wouldn't want to imagine it on a shorter wheelbase truck like the Stampede. Either is a great choice though. I started out in RC with a Stampede and beat on it for years.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'd go Stampede, I've owned mine for over 13 years now and still have no interest in selling it. When I got it the speed control was a mechanical and it had their Stinger 20t motor in it, now it's a VXL equipped lunatic!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

what would be a good monster truck basher? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Ole Monster Truck !!(Redcat Ground Pounder) im2tall Large Scale Rigs 1 10-04-2011 12:40 PM
Audreys MONSTER Truck basher.... STANG KILLA SS Non Crawler RC's 36 11-12-2009 10:07 AM
XTM X crawler make a good monster truck? 25-5 XTM Crawler 1 01-04-2009 06:53 AM
LOOKIE HERE!!! (Good inexpensive 2.2 parts truck or basher truck...) STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Chit Chat 0 08-24-2007 12:44 PM
Good Monster Bashing Truck??? bluonyx Chit Chat 15 08-21-2007 10:32 PM