Notices

Thread: Billet Works Designs Prototype Tricopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Billet Works Designs Prototype Tricopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
yeah sorry about that, trying to get the gopro out even with the props.
hmm lightening holes, how think is the material?

thats great news! that you already have customers for your new product!
what FC board and firmware are you running?
Easiest would be 1/8 black delrin. Given the fact that it's a lil flexy I think it'll give much better video than rigid G10

I set this thing up cheap (HK V2.1 board, 18a plushes, orange rx, suppo 2208's, and a gens ace 2200 3s. I reflashed it with the LazeZero Tricopter firmware...and have my two front motors opposed. I have stuff for 5-6 personal rigs right now, but wanted the cheapest stuff on the first one just in case That said, it is seriously awesome. I can only imagine how sick it's gonna be with one of my Quadrino v-5's on board.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Here's a couple of pics for proof while I work on the vids. More can be found at Billet Works Designs | Facebook
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Looks good Don. How does she fly compared to a conventional setup?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Looks good Don. How does she fly compared to a conventional setup?

Conventional what? Plane, heli, tri, quad? We did a mild vid of the maiden outdoor flight...here it is Tricopter - TR1 Prototype by Billet Works Designs - YouTube
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

That's cool Don...good work! So with the setup you have on it right now including the motors and everything to get it flying...without Tx/Rx of course how much are you talking $$$?
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Sorry I didn't specify. Ment a Helli. I haven't flown anything. But from what my mates say planes are flyable to begin with, where Heli's are quite hard to fly and can take an experienced flyer can take time to pick up a new flyer.

Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
That's cool Don...good work! So with the setup you have on it right now including the motors and everything to get it flying...without Tx/Rx of course how much are you talking $$$?
My Frame Kit with Rear Pivot ?
Suppo 2208 motors $13 x 3 = $39.00 http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mot...ner-motor.html
Turnigy Plush 18a $11.05 x 3 = $33.15 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller
2 pairs of 8" props at $5.00 combined Propellers
HK Power Dist Board $3.79 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution Board
HK Male/Male Leads $3.89 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : 3cm Male to Male Servo Lead 26AWG (10pcs/set)
HK V2.1 Quad Board $14.99 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)
USBasp Programmer (for reflashing the board firmware) $4.75 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors
HK 2mm Bullet Connectors $1.87 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : 2mm Gold Connectors 10 pairs (20pc)
HK 3.5mm Bullet Connectors $1.50 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)
Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink $0.15 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - BLACK (1mtr)
Orange RX (For Spektrum Radios) $5.99 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/ Sat Port)
HK Nylon T Connectors $2.92 HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Nylon T-Connectors 10 Pairs (20pc)
Hitec HS85MG $29.65 (you could use a cheap $4.00 servo but I chose not to) Hitec HS-85MG Metal Gear Micro BB Universal Servo w/Universal Connector HS85MG on eBay!
Gens Ace 2200MAH 30c 3s $22.40 (again, there are cheaper options that I opted to avoid) GENS ACE 2200mAh 11.1V 30C

You end up with spare connectors and stuff in that list, but I think it's pretty complete. The Drivers and Firmware are free...check www.lazyzero.de for info. That total comes to $169.05 plus minimal shipping fees. You could go a lil cheaper on a few items...and a lot cheaper on the servo and battery if you were trying to hit an extreme low budget. If you went the cheapest on everything and direct soldered or have connectors already, you could get down near 100 buck for everything but the frame. Of course, the frame isn't factored into that but for what you get, that list is very complete and isn't that much $$. As you can see, mine has some pretty cheap components and still flies great. This will be my beater and I'm building a twin that will use a $135.00 Quadrino Board from Quadrino Muiltwii Flight controller Advanced edition w/ezconnect. - Flight Controllers , some nicer motors, esc's, and a digital tail servo. It'll be even more stable and have more power. I am going to do another vid of the current one doing flips and such...but today was it's outdoor maiden with a rusty pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Sorry I didn't specify. Ment a Helli. I haven't flown anything. But from what my mates say planes are flyable to begin with, where Heli's are quite hard to fly and can take an experienced flyer can take time to pick up a new flyer.

Control is heli like, but it is stable like a coaxial heli (way easier than a normal heli)...but handle high wind, forward flight, loops, rolls, etc. Easy learning curve compared to conentional helis, but still very capable and a ton of fun. Add a GoPro and do even more with it
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #28
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Easiest would be 1/8 black delrin. Given the fact that it's a lil flexy I think it'll give much better video than rigid G10

I set this thing up cheap (HK V2.1 board, 18a plushes, orange rx, suppo 2208's, and a gens ace 2200 3s. I reflashed it with the LazeZero Tricopter firmware...and have my two front motors opposed. I have stuff for 5-6 personal rigs right now, but wanted the cheapest stuff on the first one just in case That said, it is seriously awesome. I can only imagine how sick it's gonna be with one of my Quadrino v-5's on board.
ok that sounds good. if you want to do lightening holes, leave me 1" solid on the two hole end, and 3" solid on the blank end. in between ill leave the lightening up to you. just make sure it doesnt snap
maybe get creative and integrate your logo? free advertizing!
yeah im running KK V3 5.5 with a lazyzero reflashed 4.7x acrobatic firmware. hobbywing 20A and some 22mm motors, and orange rx.

man i love the flying pics, the cab is so cool. so different that the tupperware everyone else is using.
cant wait to see more of this thing!

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 05-18-2012 at 08:00 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

If you decide to sell these, I think I may want one. The thing looks way awesome.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

No ifs my friend, these are being produced

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
TSK
Shelf queen

This is the sickest project ever to come out of BWD!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
E.Y. Designs

Nice! I love it When is it going to be produced? How much would it cost to get one of these running with the electronics you have in yours? Oh and how does it do in wind?
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Don, in the RCgroups thread you say the motor center is 16 inches... and that your cutting one smaller and one large version. The smaller version intrest me the most, what size we talking? I'm looking to get into aerobatics with a tri like I"m doing with my smaller 330mm and 400mm quads...So far the larger tri's I have are OK but I think a smaller HIGH power Tri will be better for flips and rolls. I'm running 1130kv motors on my light quad swining 8x4.5 props and the power is borderline insane...if thats possible I'm thinking the same power set up on the smaller lighter version tri will be like wise borderline

To give you an idea of the power... now if i could just fly as good as Warthox

JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
This is the sickest project ever to come out of BWD!
Thanks my friend...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Nice! I love it When is it going to be produced? How much would it cost to get one of these running with the electronics you have in yours? Oh and how does it do in wind?
The list in post 27 has everything except transmitter in it...and as mine is set up is 160 plus transmitter and airframe. I'm actually making some kits up this week. I have put maybe 20 batteries through this thing over the weekend and we had 20-25 mph winds the whole time...it handle wind just fine. It has a very wide performance envelope. If you run mild motors and props, it's the perfect heli type trainer...as it flies like a heli but is way easier to control and learn on...and is way harder to break. Prop/motor it up and it turns into a real animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
Don, in the RCgroups thread you say the motor center is 16 inches... and that your cutting one smaller and one large version. The smaller version intrest me the most, what size we talking? I'm looking to get into aerobatics with a tri like I"m doing with my smaller 330mm and 400mm quads...So far the larger tri's I have are OK but I think a smaller HIGH power Tri will be better for flips and rolls. I'm running 1130kv motors on my light quad swining 8x4.5 props and the power is borderline insane...if thats possible I'm thinking the same power set up on the smaller lighter version tri will be like wise borderline

To give you an idea of the power... now if i could just fly as good as Warthox

All I can tell you is...you are gonna absolutely love what I've got on the mill after hours this week...a light weight Highly acrobatic small (but still good looking) quad frame and tri frame. It's over powered with 300 motors
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I have a spare rx for my dx6i. Very cool Don! I see a new heli in my future.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #36
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
All I can tell you is...you are gonna absolutely love what I've got on the mill after hours this week...a light weight Highly acrobatic small (but still good looking) quad frame and tri frame. It's over powered with 300 motors

Oh man... you got me all excited now A week will give me time to figure out how i'm explaining yet another Tri and quad to the wife.... she seems to think the 3 Tri's and 6 quads I already have is enough she'll just never understand
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I have a spare rx for my dx6i. Very cool Don! I see a new heli in my future.
Thanks my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
Oh man... you got me all excited now A week will give me time to figure out how i'm explaining yet another Tri and quad to the wife.... she seems to think the 3 Tri's and 6 quads I already have is enough she'll just never understand
Well, it beats the other things we could be doing with our time and money
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

By the way, we went out and shot footage for the second video yesterday evening...and here it is Tricopter - Round 2 - TR1 Prototype by Billet Works Designs - YouTube
Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #39
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So what do you want on the next run, some red and black motors, or maybe some cool blue accents with black can?

Now I'm going to have to get one, geee thanks!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
So what do you want on the next run, some red and black motors, or maybe some cool blue accents with black can?

Now I'm going to have to get one, geee thanks!
It be down for red/black...unless we could do BW green and black

I'm gonna need some motors from you to try out asap bud. Small 300ish power to stout 480 power. The lighter the rotating mass, the better for multi rotors. Gimme a call when you have a sec. Harley already got his on order

Billet Works Designs Prototype Tricopter - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome to Billet Works Designs billet works Vendors Market 67 05-16-2012 11:53 PM
Store Wide Sale at Billet Works Designs...Save 20% on all products! Today only billet works Chit Chat 14 11-28-2011 08:52 PM
Billet Works Designs U-Dig...something new from my lab billet works Axial AX-10 Scorpion 162 03-22-2011 09:04 PM