Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: OSRC's Konghead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OSRC's Konghead

(Well, since Photobuckeet decided to take a dump on paying customers, I've moved to Flickr. Please advise if the pics are not showing!)

When this was announced, knew I had to have one... sold a bunch of rigs and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. Ordered the kit, oil shocks, and some CC01 springs for later tuning.

(Pics Removed)

Have to run out and get some liquid mask for the body - no way I can tape those lines.

Plan to run it stock for a while, then who knows? Sky is the limit. Add some TL01B arms and go wide track? Lock the diffs, gear it down and add some TSL's? No idea but I think it'll be fun either way!

Last edited by OSRC; 12-01-2018 at 06:41 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OSRC's Konghead

Tamiya kits are always a good bag of fun.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Finally got this painted. First time with liquid mask...came out pretty good. Blue and silver are my preferred colors, so it's pretty close to box art. Just made a few subtle changes. I left the graphics off - don't think it needs any flash - I think it looks great as it is!

Plan it to bomb it around the backyard a bit as is and then....well, who knows. Got diff lockers here, and 6 crawler tires...hmm...might make a fun little trail runner.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-01-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Picked up bearings too - a must with all these gears. It's an ...interesting design. I just sat here and spun the gears and giggled for a while. Used a teflon spray lube for the gears - works great in my other Tamiya rigs and doesn't add much if any drag.

O my! That does look like a load of fun. This is Tamiya's version of a fidget spinner.

What's the wheelbase on these? Wondering if the body would fit a SCX 6x6.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't know offhand, but I can say the body is about as long as a stock Axial JK.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

How many motors does it have? Any thoughts of rear steering?

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

1 motor. It comes with the parts for 4 wheel steering, I am just short a servo!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Couldn't help myself, it was begging for it...

Diffs locked, YR wide arm conversion all around, dropped the gearing and some more trail worthy tires. I'll trim the body posts after I figure out the ride height...need a run to see how bad it rubs. Trying to keep the body as low as possible.

Not going to be a heavy duty trail rig, but for some of the easier trails we go to it should be fun.

Still have to figure out some kind of front bumper and need some CVD's for the steering.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Holy shiz, that looks hawt!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

That does look bad ass!

It's a shame the endbell on the motor is green instead of blue. But the green looks cool too.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

What size are the stock wheels and tires?
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

This looks great. I'm waiting for someone to mod the King Yellow (school bus) one that is coming out.

soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #13

I like that school bus. I might need to build that for my daughter.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Are the tires TLT size?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Finally got around to making this a crawler...of sorts. All the of the diffs are locked, and used some older 2.2 Geolanders to get the stance right. Never thought it looked right with the 1.9's.

Holmes outrunner with a 2:1 reduction. No power problems here.

Flex shot.. lol

A few crawling pics.... The tires aren't the best, but with 6 of them it got around pretty good. The steering is flat terrible. With just the front tires steering and 4 tires with locked diffs pushing out back, it doesn't want to turn very well. was a lot of fun watching it snake over stuff for sure.

Not sure what to do with this yet... I robbed the suspension off for another project already, and I'll put the stock stuff back on. I don't like how the motor hangs out there, it took a few good shots. I do think it would be fun on a mild trail - definitely something different. Not going to cut it on serious rocks though, I knew it wouldn't. Oh, and 4WS will be a must.

I'll let it all percolate, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
What size are the stock wheels and tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Are the tires TLT size?
Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin tires. Same wheel/tire combo that came on the Wild Willy 2000
Old 10-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

(2 years later)

My addiction to Snowrunner has completely revived my interest in 6x6 trucks...

I converted my Konghead over to a Dynahead (Who at Tamiya is in charge of these names BTW? We need to talk!) Adding portals would make a ton of difference and go a long way to solving two of the biggest problems with trying to trail run with this chassis - low ground clearance and tall gearing. I looked to source the parts individually, but in the end it was cheaper to just buy a kit and rob the parts since the price has dropped by $130 or so.

Anyway, portal time! So many bearings bushings, and gears.... everything fits perfectly as expected with a Tamiya kit and they spin super smooth and quiet. I'm not sure how Tamiya manages that since this truck has by my count 54 gears/mating surfaces (!!) I used Tamiya diff putty to semi lock the front and rear diffs, and the center diff is locked solid with some extra diff gears.

No need to add weight to this chassis, it's a tank with 2 servos and all those gears. I added just a little bit of weight in the front wheels to balance out the chassis - that's it. I like the Dyna body, it works well with the chassis. Built with the Kongheads Tamiya CVA oil shocks and barrel springs and stock suspension (for now...)

View under the hood. using dual servos for 4WS, rear channel is set to run independently on the ch3 switch of my GT3B radio. WP1080 of course, and a Holmes Crawlmaster which with its low RPM and super smooth control is perfect for this chassis.

Rough cut, unpainted, and waiting on some matching wheels, I still had to take it out and test it. Impressed!! The portals make all the difference. Gearing is spot on for trail running, and plenty smooth at low RPM for crawling duty. Much, much better than the Kong when it comes to rough terrain. I'll be honest, it crawls pretty dang well. 6 wheels clawing for traction goes a long way, and COG is not bad at all - it was much more stable than I expected too. Huh. Steering sucks, as with any Tamiya, but the 4WS makes it bearable.

Still enough wheel speed for some roost when needed. OK, maybe just a little roost.

Watching those 6 tires undulate over the terrain never gets old. I've got some suspension mods in mind for a bit more travel, and the steering really needs to be sorted out a bit (I'm thinking full time 4WS, when just the front wheels turn, the chassis just takes it as a suggestion) Also I have another set of wheels/tires to play with.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Glad I'm not the only one to occasionally allow a project to get set aside for a while, or a year, or two.

Did you ever find decent cvds for the stock width?

What's the gear reduction of the portals? You must have a set at least mocked up on a cc-01 somewhere. We want to see that too.

I havent even played snowrunner, and I kind of don't want to because then I'd have to buy a console, and a twenty-first century tv, and that all takes funds away from toy trucks. Looks like fun though.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

No CVD's, you have to take a standard CVD and machine it down into a square at the moment.

Gears in the portals are 14/29 (2.07) .... a CC01 was done eons ago, though I never finished it. It's still here somewhere - lots of potential

More fun on a TL01..
Old 12-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Finally got around to painting up the Dynahead. I'm way behind on painting up bodies... Jato mentioned in passing that it would look good as Optimus Prime. Genius! Can't believe I never thought of that. So I mixed up some dark blue and toned down the red and had at it. Came out decent! I forgot the silver stripe though, I'll have to figure something out.

I widened the truck slightly with some Comical arms and dogbones, but the dogbones weren't happy with the steering for some reason, so I swapped back. Also tried out some PL Grunts, but they looked a bit too big, so the Gmades went back on. They really are the perfect size imo. Also raided some other trucks for the silver beadlocks. I think it looks great! Well, it will once I get the masks and overspray off and get some decals on it. Such a cool and unique little rig, surprised no one has built one up yet.

OSRC's Konghead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya 1/18 Konghead 6x6 spectre Multi Axle Rigs 10 03-20-2017 10:17 PM
OSRC's Comp Derek108 Competitions 6 02-15-2015 06:26 AM
Osrc's comp Derek108 Alabama 2 02-04-2015 10:19 PM
OSRC's Boring Twin Hammers OSRC Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 01-09-2015 02:15 PM
OSRC's CR's OSRC Tamiya CR-01 37 05-04-2012 08:38 AM