Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra's tc4 rwd build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's tc4 rwd build

Like the title says I'm starting a tc4 rwd build, based on the club racer chassis. I just picked up a brand new one from tower to start the build since it's cheaper than rebuilding my other one.

The idea behind the build came from rc drift. Were people will take a tf2 or hilux body and shorten the wheelbase to make it fit there chassis. So I decided to be different! Why do what everyone else does when Rc4wd now makes a tf2 lwb? Why not cut the chassis in half, put either some kind of metal or carbon fiber chassis or extension on it to get it to the correct wheelbase of the body and then adjust wheel width and suspension settings accordingly?

Now I'm not planning on cutting the chassis in half now, first I'm going to see how the thing will even handle without having to buy a lot of stuff, both with vta tires and drift tires on it. Though I'm not getting a gyro for it, for now at least.

The plan is to swap the spool to the rear and get rid of as much of the front drivetrain as possible. Then throw in a savox 1252 servo with a tlr horn, hobbywing justock esc and speed passion 13.5t sensored motor with a 2 channel airtronics receiver. I will need to get a TON of receivers but for now I'll steal one from something else.

Once that is done test it out running the premount hpi t drift tires that I already have, as well as rob the vta tires from my ntc3. I am planning on getting a d4 rwd, when I do I may see what d4 parts will fit.

Then after testing I'll have to decide wether to mount a f350 body on it and buy and cut up another tc4 to do a lwb conversion, or cut this one in half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Default Re: c0bra's tc4 rwd build

I've got a TC3 I've been debating doing the same thing as well. I won't need to cut the chassis as the body I want to use will fit. Keep us posted.
Xporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xporter View Post
I've got a TC3 I've been debating doing the same thing as well. I won't need to cut the chassis as the body I want to use will fit. Keep us posted.

Will do. I should have an update for it tonight, it would've come last night but I was too drained from the trip.

I've already taken the front diff out and swapped the rear, still need to take apart the front driveshafts and put electronics in it

Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Got the rwd conversion done, trimmed the chassis in front of the servo for clearance, and installed the savox servo with Losi 22 horn, and speed passion 13.5t with 26t pinion. Also robbed the vta tires off the ntc3 for its first run. Still need to solder the motor wires and mount the esc and rx

Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Pics please?

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Excuse the wiring, I still need to clean it up but did get a chance to run it on the vta tires. It ran slower than I had expected, but I am only running a 13.5t in it. I do need to mess with the esc settings and get rid of the drag brake, and make it f/b/r. Currently it's only forward/brake. I would like to try this with hpi xpattern tires on this, as there is no chance of the vta rear tires even coming close to tucking under the f350 body.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and test it with hpi t drift tires.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I tested the tc4 out with t drift tires..... let's just say I can't drift rwd for crap lol. I did also find 4 6mm offset hpi wheels with x pattern tires to check clearance. I think 0mm offset will tuck pretty easy under the f350 body, so I'd imagine that they would under a lwb mojave body.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Ran the car 2 days ago and not even 5 minutes into the run I hit a curb and snapped the steering rack in half

So yesterday I did the responsible thing by replacing the broken steering rack, removing the body mounts so they don't get bent since I don't have a body for it yet anyway, also put the foam bumper on it to try and prevent that from happening. I also took out the justock esc and 13.5 in favor of a tekin rs gen2 and 10.5 motor, and kept the 26t pinion on it

Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Since the last update I've installed the rs gen2 and 10.5t and got the bright idea of advancing the timing to the highest preset timing profile!

This made the car very touchy at slow speeds but it was very fast at the top end. So much so that a rear driveshaft sheared before the pack was done.

But in other news I finally decided on a body!

It is an old discontinued proline body, I think descender, with a aluminum wing on the back to help with traction and help with the race inspired look. I have since picked up 3 inch Parma body mounts were I could only use the bottom 3/4 of an inch of as a spacer for the stock mounts. The Parma ones only had holes at the very top and wouldn't have worked.

I will be painting the body on Saturday
Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Sweet! It looks like this will be a cool car when finished. Where did you get the aluminum wing?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sweet! It looks like this will be a cool car when finished. Where did you get the aluminum wing?

I picked it up from my lhs a few years ago

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Bad news for the tc4

Yesterday I ran the car without the body since it wasn't painted yet and I snapped the left c hub in half. So that night I converted the car back to 4wd, thru a larger pinion in it and mounted the freshly painted body and wing.

So today the plan was to run the car for a little bit on 2s, then go to the lhs and pick up a 3s or two and then run the car on 3s. Since the 10.5 can handle up to 3s.

Well thing didn't go soo well. On 2s the car was a really fast and extremely sensitive to steering inputs. Then 5 minutes later tragedy struck! The car turned to the left and I wasn't quick enough to stop it before it crashed into the curb and flipped over. After picking the car up I saw the carnage

The wing is pretty bent with it being aluminum, and the steering rack snapped in half again!

So now the 10.5t and tekin rs are coming out in favor of the slower 13.5 and it may go back to rwd unless I decide to pick up a d4 rwd

Old 08-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbox View Post
Looks like fun.

I have a hard body Ford that just dropped right over my TC4.

I still need to mount it though.

I may just have to after reading this thread.

Which hardbody is it?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

UPDATE!

This build is going back to the direction it was originally going in. i placed an order at amain for a new steering rack (and a spare), sway bars plus a mojave 2 body set! im debating on picking up a mojave 4 door bed or not to see if it will work.

not completely decided if this will be a drifter or not but it will affect the quad cab hilux drift build if i do decide to do it. That one would bet a custom chassis with sakura d4 front end and steering to get the angle, also tc4 rear suspension to keep everything down low and not have to worry about belt wear
Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

okay all you wacky road car guys are inspiring me.
i have an old TC3 and TT01 in storage somewhere. i used to drift back in 2005 to about 2008 (groovydrift forums babaaay!!!!). that's when AWD was the only choice, and countersteer had juuuust started infancy.
now everything is RWD with gyro... and looks super cool!!!

i have tons of drift goodies in a drawer, including HPI T drift tires that are no longer produced but highly sought after. i was going to get an MST or sakura D4 for RWD also, but seeing this TC3 gives me ideas haha might not have the countersteer angle of the MST but its a start?

your build and experimenting are seriously cool and inspirational. i mentioned to my wife last night i might start RC Drifting again and she chuckled. she loves seeing me involved with hobbies that involve going and doing things. (i mostly collect action figures and it drivers her bonkers)
and actually, i got the TC3 for her back in the day to go drift with me when i had my TT01. i need to dig all this stuff out. i painted her a metallic pink altezza shell as a basher, and her shelf queen shell is a GOURGEOUS metal flake purple HPI S15 that i did. its seriously some of my best work besides my yokomo AE86 Levin.

i should raid my storage this weekend... but none of it will run. all my old nimh packs are way dead. and the old school ESC's would never take lipo. BUT, i could probably get both running for under $50! haha my futaba still takes a frequency crystal too! hahahaha old school!!!!!!

maybe i can sell my nitro RS3 to fund the drift resurrection project? lol engine is toast, didn't clean it out on last run back in... 2008? and yes i drifted that mofo too hahaha epoxy in all the diffs!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-20-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks! Yea the tc3 should’ve too bad to at least get your feet wet with rwd drifting but it won’t have anywhere near the angle of the mst or sakura.

I tried driving this one with t drifts before on asphalt when it was rwd only and could immediately see why people run a gyro for rwd.

This one may end up being at least my rwd drift entry if I actually keep it rwd, or the quad cab build will be but that one is a ways away.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Uh oh I had a thought again which led me to the lhs and this box somehow leaving in my hand!

The plan has slightly changed.....again! according to team associated the tc4 has a 10.2 inch wheelbase, and according to Rc4wd the Mojave 2 regular cab body is an 11.3 inch wheelbase. Meaning I’d have to extend the tc4 chassis just over an inch which could make the chassis weaker. So I’d most likely end up making an aluminum chassis.

If I’m already making an aluminum chassis for a rwd drifter based off of a 4wd chassis, why not fix that and throw the front end from a more purpose built rwd drift car in it?

So unlike other Mojave/hilux based drift car builds that shorten the body, I’m keeping the body the same length and stretching the chassis to make it work.

I’ll probably pick up some 1/8 or 3mm aluminum plate, maybe carbon fiber if it won’t cost a ridiculous amount, to make the chassis. The plan is to attach servo mounts to the chassis and then screw at least the cab into them.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's tc4 rwd build

Kinda bad news, this was going to be a custom chassis with d4/tc4 parts on it, however this is a stretched d4 with 3/4 of the bed cut out to clear the shocks and spur

This will get a new thread once it’s a little further along as it is full d4 right now.

Last edited by c0bra; 09-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

well, that escalated quickly...

good idea though, the hybrid chassis on carbon fiber sheet. i saw a guy make his own on a CF sheet on youtube, turned out bitchin!
*found the vid for ya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtHA7wOS9to

AND... gives me a new idea for my next RWD solid axle drift build...

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-27-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yea I saw that video, only problem is that carbon fiber sheet is pretty expensive, so for now I’m just using thin steel

c0bra's tc4 rwd build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
c0bra's twin hammers dt build c0bra Vaterra Twin Hammers 22 09-21-2019 03:57 PM
c0bra's scx10 build c0bra Axial SCX-10 4 09-04-2016 12:22 PM
c0bra's tc4 builds c0bra Non Crawler RC's 0 01-26-2014 07:02 PM
C0bra's IFS wraith build! c0bra Axial Wraith 12 12-29-2013 01:33 PM
c0bra's TT01 build c0bra Non Crawler RC's 13 01-22-2013 09:04 PM