Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > North Carolina

Notices

Thread: Stone Mtn, Pilot Mtn And anything with State Park are shut down.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Default Stone Mtn, Pilot Mtn And anything with State Park are shut down.

According to the man. No more RC vehicles at State Parks.
Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Stone Mtn, Pilot Mtn And anything with State Park are shut down.

I would like to apologize to everyone for what turned out to be an epic fail of a day. I hate that people drove so far to end up going home bummed out and no crawl time. I would also like to apologize to the park system for me under estimating how big of an a$$ they can be. My hat's off to "Judge Judy" for be very persistent on being an major tool, and to park superintendent "Ranger NO!!" for his stead fast, never give in approach to our pleas for rational negotiating. It sucks that we can't enjoy what our tax dollars pay for. It will come a day when all hobbies such as this will go away and we'll be forced to sit inside and play virtual r/c rack crawling on our lap tops. It's very discouraging for me when every where you look tracks are shutting down and hobby shop closing. I always figured that crawling was a pretty safe bet, all you needed was some rocks!! Well even that is getting hard to come by. Ain't like any hobby stores are running to build crawler courses.
Once again I truly apologize for today.....................

Later y'all
The Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

No need to be sorry brother, not your fault at all. There's actually a "Hobby Park" in Winston Salem. We can fly, drift, crawl, nitro, anything HOBBY. There are supposed to be good trails. I want to try that sometime after New Years. Thanks for trying today. Did y'all see the Troopers, and Sheriff that showed up? Pretty sure "Ranger NO!" called back up just in-case. lol

Let me know if y'all know anything about it.
2301 W. Clemmonsville Rd
Winston-Salem, NC
DangerDave8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Wait we can't rc rc crawling on stone mountian? Like the one in Georgia that is not owned by the state but owned by dolly partin? We had a group of like 15 go a week before I left for basic. What the hell happened in the 2 months I was gone?
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
Wait we can't rc rc crawling on stone mountian? Like the one in Georgia that is not owned by the state but owned by dolly partin? We had a group of like 15 go a week before I left for basic. What the hell happened in the 2 months I was gone?
N.C. my friend, I'm sure the one in GA hasn't went bat $hit crazy.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bug View Post
N.C. my friend, I'm sure the one in GA hasn't went bat $hit crazy.
Wow, we've had people from NC come ride stone mountain with us before so when I saw the post I had a heart attack! Sorry for y'alls loss, come ride with us on the Georgia side!
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Look up pilot mtn state park on google and read the review by "bugs cummins"...
I encourage others to do the same
Bugs Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I advise everyone to take this survey:

http://survey.nccommerce.com/TakeSur...=l005861I488LM

And email Michael Boaz, town manager mboaz@pilotmountainnc.org

And possibly state senators or governor.

I looked for a rule or regulation against remote controlled vehicles, found no such rule, not in that part of NC. Also I think the title of this post needs to be changed. I take my RC cars to multiple state parks in my area (blowing rock etc) and everyone there enjoys them.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
BrotherAndySLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Email sent:

Dear Mr Boaz,

Recently a group of friends and I visited pilot mountain state park. As we have many times before in the past. We come for the sole purpose of hiking up the trails with our electric off road RC trucks. The group arrived around 10:00 am and gathered in the upper parking area. Just as we were about the enter the trails a ranger stopped and informed us that we were not allowed on the trails with "those things" referring to the RC trucks. We asked when that had come into affect since some of us have been coming there for 4-5 years with the RC trucks. She then informed us that it has always been a rule but lightly enforced. We all then headed down to "rangers" office where we could not be shown anywhere a rule against RC vehicles on the trails. First was told that it was a noise ordinance problem. So informed that the RC vehicles were electric and made no more noise then stepping on leaves. So then we were informed that our group was too large to be on the trails. I think total was 11 people. So we suggested splitting up to please them and informed them of groups of 15-20 people on trails together that we had witnessed on Oct-25-2015. This also got us nowhere. Finally we were asked to leave and was told "park superintendent " would be called and citations would be given for trespassing if we did not leave.
We love this place and very much enjoy visiting the park. It's a shame that we have to be treated like we are committing a crime by wanting to drive a slow moving almost silent RC car on trail in a tax payer funded park.
I also think it's a shame that if this has always been a rule that the ranger who walked with us for 30 min or so on our last outing,(10-25-15) talking,asking questions and generally being nice to all in the group did not inform us that we were breaking any rules. On behalf of my friends and myself would appreciate someone looking into this matter. Even if we are not allowed as we were told. Something needs to be done about the abuse of authority used by park rangers to make up rules without any evidence to back them up and having to resort to threats to get what they want.

Thank you for your time
Rodney Poindexter Jr
Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I also contacted NC state parks and rec. with the same email.

Last edited by Bugs Crawler; 12-13-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typo...
Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Bugs,

I guess it is worth Noting that the City of Greensboro does have rules against R/Cs in parks dating back to 1967, amended on 2008.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules...ocumentid=3076

But that is the only one I can find with such a rule.

Last edited by BrotherAndySLB; 12-13-2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: More Info.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Well I got a reply..

Mr. Cummins,

I am very sorry that you had that experience when visiting the park. I am
sure you probably know but I have absolutely zero power to do anything about
your experience, but I will try to help get your message to the folks that
do and to do what I can to figure out what was going on. The Town has no
authority over the employees of the Park as they are state employees but as
I said I will get this message to the Park Superintendent and see if we can
figure out what the issue was.

Michael Boaz
Interim Town Manager

-----Original Message-----
From: bugscummins@gmail.com [mailto:bugscummins@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 9:30 PM
To: mboaz@pilotmountainnc.org
Subject: RC trucks at state park
Old 12-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'm searching for his name, but I am not finding it.

However,

Here is a "Contact Us" form:

Contact Us | NC State Parks

We can also e-mail this guy charlie.peek@ncparks.gov He is the public information officer.

I found the superintendents name. But, I can't find his e-mail address, however, in true Gov fashion its probably Matt.Windsor@ncparks.gov

Last edited by BrotherAndySLB; 12-14-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I was right about the e-mail address.

This is the Reply I received:

Mr. Kirk,

Thanks for your email.
I came in from off duty and met with you all, and it may have been yourself that came in the office with me and my ranger where she printed you off a copy of our regulations. As I explained I can permit your activity with a special activity permit in a out of the way part of the park, but I can’t permit a group of RC car enthusiasts to meet on the internet, arrive and decide to operate RC Cars on one of our heavily traveled trails on a busy weekend. I have observed 1-2 kids from time to time using these R/C trucks and I have simply asked them to use them in a less traveled place. My other rangers have mentioned the same, but this has been an occasional thing we come across on a weekday. However in similar instances to yours, when a large group of RC enthusiasts appeared at the park to use them on a weekend, I have treated them the same way I treat any event that has the potential to affect our primary visitors enjoyment of the park, I inform them of the special activity permit process, but they don’t get to continue the event.

At Pilot Mountain we get numerous requests for numerous events that most of our visitors would find to be out of the ordinary. To be fair to all concerned I try my best to treat everyone the same and ensure consistency. They may not seem fair to you since you didn’t get to have your RC car filming on Saturday, and if that caused you to have a poor experience in our park I’m sorry for that.

I’d welcome your permit request and you can email it to my contact information. I’ve attached a link below.
http://www.ncparks.gov/sites/default...ity-permit.pdf

-----

I sent a reply e-mail asking for a copy of the regulations.

Last edited by BrotherAndySLB; 12-14-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I guess we'll have to start going to the real ohv park at uwharrie.... They have some pretty serious hiking trails from what I understand. I used to go up there every other weekend with my 1:1 rig but the ohv trails are usually full of 1:1 traffic. But I read last night that the hiking trails are open year round unlike the ohv that close for the winter. Also the park encourages "hikers" to go off the beaten path to explore....

May try to plan a trip just to see if the hiking trails are worth it..
Old 12-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stone Mtn, Pilot Mtn And anythinggood with State Park are shut down.

Not good guys I'm very sorry to hear this its a epic bummer.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

So is this for any NC state park?
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Not sure about "any" state park, unless the rangers are "d---s" like the ones at pilot mtn. Gotta be on the lookout for more places to crawl. I guess I need to save up and buy about a 100 acres and make it an off road park...

When I hit the lottery that is.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs Crawler View Post
I guess we'll have to start going to the real ohv park at uwharrie.... They have some pretty serious hiking trails from what I understand. I used to go up there every other weekend with my 1:1 rig but the ohv trails are usually full of 1:1 traffic. But I read last night that the hiking trails are open year round unlike the ohv that close for the winter. Also the park encourages "hikers" to go off the beaten path to explore....

May try to plan a trip just to see if the hiking trails are worth it..
I have been thinking the same thing. We'll have to plan a trip there one day
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I spoke with Mr. Windsor on the phone today. We are not banned from Pilot Mountain, or anywhere else like this. We do need to e-mail or call ahead of time and obtain a Special Activity Permit. Mr. Windsor said that this permit would be free to us, he mainly just needs to make sure that there isn't going to be two large parties at the park at the same time, and he would rather us come in an off-peak time.

If we come in an off-peak time, then we should be able to access any trail we want. Very busy times we may not be able to access the highly populated trails.

Stone Mtn, Pilot Mtn And anything with State Park are shut down. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot Mtn trail crawl 10/25 The Bug North Carolina 15 12-02-2015 07:31 AM
Allumuchy mtn. state park NNJ DORM New Jersey 1 04-22-2014 07:35 PM
Pilot mtn TEMPESTRACER1 North Carolina 5 01-12-2010 05:45 PM
Crawling spots at Cheyenne Mtn. State Park? Egnix Colorado 1 06-26-2009 08:41 AM
Pilot Mtn Uroplatus North Carolina 3 06-05-2008 09:27 PM