Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > North Dakota

Notices

Thread: New Trai Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Trai Rig

Some of you who were still around at the end of the comp might have seen me driving Jim's trail rig with his version of the x-trail chassis. Well long story short it came home with me.

After seaing how Dave used something as simple as a soap dish to make a roof rack I had to see what I could come up with. I found a neet little wire mesh basket at office max, and with some convincing from Dave I bought it. A little cuttting, sanding and soldering and BAM a neat roof rack. Dave made me a couple of bungee's gave me some pointers and I made some more. Dave made me some sleeping bags as well as the Jerry can, old fashioned Craftsman toolbox and cooler, and I fashioned up a tow strap.

Let me know what you think.

tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Next to come will be some bumpers and a working winch. Already have the parts for the bumpers, just need to mount them up.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

sounds cool wish i could see the pics for some reason i cant see anyones pics at all. im still trying to get my bumpers set up on mine its not much fun hope to have it together enough to take some pics later
venom-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

With the shape of the rack, I'd mount it at the front and do up some 'KC' lights under the front edge of the rack. Looks good as it is though.

I'm gonna have to get in gear and get either my Sniper or Highlift going for the next run. Or maybe finally start my Bronco project to replace Tony's new FJ. I'm out of running scalers all of a sudden, damn comp buggy.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

here are some pics of mine i just got it running yesterday and took it strait in the mud and water. today i took it up to our coarse to take some pics and see how it did on the rocks i was very pleased. now i have to take it all apart and paint the chassis make the bottom of the tool box and do some other odds and ends let me know what you think.

Last edited by venom-crawler; 06-21-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Your rigs are looking good guys...
Is the netting on your rack stretchy Mark ?
I am hoping to build a few more items before the next comp...
I will not be able to make Dickinson in July, it is on my dad's 88th B-day...
Keep up the great work on the scalers...the bug has bitten me too....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Seeing Venoms F-650 reminded me of my old one and since Tony got my last scaler I'm thinking about dusting of my old TLT based MGT F150 Super Crew chassis and body. Maybe I'll have it running by the next gtg. I need an excuse to use my Panthers since I pulled 'em from my tuber. They get me into more trouble than they get me out of.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the netting i stole from my wife its actually one of her fish nets.very stretchy and actually it works great the stuff doesnt move at all i have some on my trailer too that holds tools and a spare tire. my hooks arent near as nice as yours.hopefully we can get a scale class going it sounds like chad from bis built one too. me and some buddys went and played in the mud today here are some pics

Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Is that a truck or a sunmarine. I don't think I like the idea of getting into it that deep. I'm all for a LITTLE mud and water but that is extreme.

You guys missed out on a great time in Taylors Falls yesterday. The comp had 2 very cool courses. Course 1 was insanely tough. Only 2 guys completed it. I think anly a hand full got pass the halfway point. I ended up 4th overall. It was definaltely different than what we are used to. Not to mention half of us had to run after a rain shower came through on wet rocks.

As far as the trail runnig goes, the possibilities are endless in this area. After the comp was over a bunch of us did follow the leader. We started with about 10 guys and 1.5 hours later there were only three of us still running. Just before we left I was doing wheelies with my rig and as I came down the front tire hit a rock and took out a tooth on a gear in my servo. I ran it like this until we were done. It made horrible noises and would only turn if you were moving. I love JR servos. Because of this it gave us the perfect oppertunity to use one of the guys winches. Have to make one of those now.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

When you were trail running, did you use your comp rig or did you break out the FJ? I'm curious how well the FJ suspension does in 'real world' trails. I'm looking to do it again only bigger, longer, meaner and with Cougars
Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

congrats on the mn comp i wish i could of made it. i built my truck to do anything that i throw at it. so far ive mud bogged it rock crawled and hill climbed we even had a little tug of war going on last night so far im pleased with the way it works the only thing i want to change is the motor im running is the stock saturn motor from a wk it has ok speed and great torque i just want more speed for muddin. i tore it apart last night to paint the chassis and mount stuff a little better then its back to the trails.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
When you were trail running, did you use your comp rig or did you break out the FJ? I'm curious how well the FJ suspension does in 'real world' trails. I'm looking to do it again only bigger, longer, meaner and with Cougars
I ran the FJ. Everyone was amazed at how well it did. The suspension and tire combo was great. The only time I had much trouble was on near vertical climbs it wanted to tip back. I think I will ad an ounce or two to the front wheels. We will see how it does after I mount my winch servo in the front first. If I still need more weight I will add it then.

Mark, I am running a Reedy 19turn in my FJ. Great torque and wheel speed. It's awsome to be able to do wheelies as well as crawl.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

You'll need the weight. The winch servo won't add enough and that short wheelbase is a killer for vertical. I found that out with my comp tuber. Those Geo's surprise about everbody who see's 'em run right. Thats the third truck I've built with them. Try it out with your comp wheels. I ran that one around with Claws and it worked even better. Mine didn't even rub body but it did look kinda odd.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

thats what i was thinking of running for a motor. the reason i ran the saturn is cuz those things dont die running a regular brushed motor in the water kills the brushes. ive also been thinking that i have an old lrp brushless that i could send in and get redone and i could throw that in there. ive read on how to mod a servo to make it a winch i dont understand how it works so maybe you guys could show me how. are we going to plan on running our scalers in dickinson? ill have to get the rest of the parts for my axles lol.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I plan on bringing my trail rig to every comp I go to from now on. I love the comp side of things and wouldn't give that up for nothing, but man it is an absolute blast to run the trail rig.

Dave, Andy, and myself are having a little GTG tonight after work with the trail rigs. We'll se if we can't find some mud to play in. Not like what you did Mark. Just something to get a little dirty. I'll try to get some pictures from tonight.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few pictures from Taylors Falls. First was a group shot before the comp started, the second and third are of Chris's FJ helping my FJ up and over a steep wall.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

thats what im talking about dont use your hands just use a winch or antoher truck to make it up! the mud we were in was pretty sticky that day we were up there. the only truck that made it very far at all was mylans its just fun to see what they can do and go through. i think taking them down to the badlands would be a blast but thats a long drive.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Guys I'm working on mine. The Body is painted. Next up bumpers and a roof rack of some type.

Oh yeah and some better tires. M3 Mashers just plain suck.

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 06-27-2008 at 09:24 AM.
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Mines almost a roller

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqcookie View Post
Here are a few pictures from Taylors Falls. First was a group shot before the comp started, the second and third are of Chris's FJ helping my FJ up and over a steep wall.

Love seeing the winch in action.
tinycrites is offline   Reply With Quote