Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > North Dakota

Notices

Thread: Losi Mini Crawler Spec Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

I agree in spirit with the rules but it's too restrictive in my opinion. Trying to keep it cheap and keep the playing field even are an excellent ideas but lets keep in mind these are rough initial drafts for how we want to run these. Innovation is what these things are all about.

I think the points penalties are a good idea but a way too stiff and very restrictive. I'd keep it down to dimensional restrictions like w/b, width height and that sort of thing. The point penalties should be more like single points. Lets face it, 3 points in a single event can knock you out. Where's the fun in that?

These things are small and light enough already that most tweaks will be negligable other than tweaking it for the individuals driving style. A simple way help keep things in check would be a max weight in addition to the normal dimensional stuff.

Here's my draft for discussion (with the exception of the wheelbase it's the '08 USRCCA rules for the Class 3 - 1.9 class

-Max Wheelbase - 9 inches measured at longested point in suspension travel, usually flat (8.5 is USRCCA - I measured stock config with links flat -8 5/8")
-Track width - 8 inches (outside to outside, thats 1" wider than stock)
-Wheels - 1.9 rims with max tire height of 4.25 ( that's .5 inches taller than stock)
-Front Steer only
-2 Channel radio only (as long as only the ESC and Steering servo are the only ones plugged in I'd ignore this one)
-1 ESC and 1 Servo only
-1 Motor
-Max voltage of 8.4 (7cell NiHm/NiCd or 2S LiPo or equivelent)
-No driver controlled devices, other than steering and throttle control, will be allowed.Independent .. as per USRCCA rules

Minimum Bodiless measurements for those of us who do the tube thing
-Length 6.75 (stock is 10")
-width 2.5 (stock is about 3.75)
-height 3.25 (stock is about 4)

My addition -
Max Weight - 2lbs 12oz lbs ( mine with 1oz in each front wheel only, bone stock, no mods with factory pack in place weighs 2lbs 4oz on my kitchen scale) That gives roughly 10 ounces to play with from box stock.

Penalties - +1 point per gate completed until vehicle is back in specs. My intent here is just add enough points to level the playing field, not kill the chances of a podium finish.

So fire away with thoughts
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqcookie View Post
I agree, all stock components. All electronics must be kept stock. You could bind the stock reciever to your current transmitter if you have spektrum and don't want to carry more than 1 radio with you.

You can adjust the rig to you are liking. Meaning different oil in shocks, electronics placement, weighting the wheels, lowering body, limiting travel. Things of that nature.

I think 3 things that should be alowed as soon as they are available are the upgraded lockers as well as the new battery servo tray and also a different battery. The lockers have been giving out and I believe new metal ones will soon be available. As for alowing different batteries, this way you could run other batteries that you have. This also helps keep the cost down. It also alows for the use of a lipo for us people that only have lipo batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder7845 View Post
Also didn't you post this? Wut changed?
Yes I did post that and I still feel that those are very good things to have for a beginner class. But when the USRCCA put out an official set of rules for a 1.9 comp class that is when I started changing components out on my mini. If we have our very own set of rules for our comps then decide to travel to other comps and they have different rules it gets confusing. Thats why it is nice to have a standarized set of rules. We follow a standard set of rules for the 2.2 class why not the 1.9.

If you want a cheap entry level class for people comming into the hobby, then that is exactly what it needs to be. A class for those people to compete against similarly experienced people with similar vehichles. Not against people who have way more experience than them.

Now if you want a cheap inexpensive class so you don't have to spend a bunch of money then don't spend the money. It will be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Those also sound fine to me. I think we need to tech the trucks every comp if were going to do it that way tho.
thunder7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am beginning to understand things more clearly now. First of all I would be willing to bet I make less money than all of you guys. Secondly 98% of the stuff I have, I paid in full on my own. 1% I have been given a discount on and maybee 1% i have gotten for free.
Dude you claim you make less money than the rest of us (as seen above) you think you would be all for a cheap class. So can I ask how the dna mini sling shot works on the MRC.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Count me out of this. I run all over and I'm not going to set mine up for this when the rest of the clubs who's events I attend are running the National rules. Looks Like I'll be running more MN comps at Taylors Falls next season. Take care guys it was fun while it lasted.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It works GREAT!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I am starting to agree with tony. We do follow the rules for the 2.2 why not the 1.9's. The only thing I think we should be trying is to keep things simple for a while. Try to keep trucks simple just to help to push crawling along in our state. I know for a fact that we would have more poeple if things were cheaper. I do agree on the beginners class, but we dont have enough people. Who wants to be the only guy in a beginner class when theres 10 in a mod class. As for cut throat stuff, I agree that things are getting a little stupid. We all just need to step back and realize we are in it for fun and there is few of us. there is no reason to make problems between us. As for the comps we all have improved over the past year. If we took overall comp winner it would be Tony. If we took Attendance it would be Mark. It was a Championship Comp and like all things it can only take one thing to change everything. We need to make club rules, set rules for comps, and make a better points series to make thing fair. In my mind everyone has made new friends and had tons of fun. So lets move on and improve things for the next series.
jpterbl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Sorry if I offended anyone today, the post about adding points for mods was just an idea I'm not going to say anymore on the subject and I'll agree to how ever the rules are set up, this needs to be left up to people more experinced than I. Again my apologies to anyone who was upset by what I said.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

following the usrcrc rules is fine with me. i guess we can run them just like we did with the 2.2s and if we do get more people involved then maybe think about a beginner class. the whole thing was when new people hear about how much we have in our rigs they shy away we thought this would be a good way to get new people in.
venom-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I agree with you. Most people do shy away when they do see how much. I think we should still plan on keeping the upgrades to a minimum. Use te USRCCA rules but keep things like chassis and motor stock.
jpterbl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #31

Since I don't own a MRC I don't really know how well they work stock... But here's my two cents....
We don't have enough people for two different classes. If we had a beginners class how many people would actually be in it? We "may" be opening the door for those who don't want too spend much but that is a major "if". If we did have a beginners class i would mostly likely buy one and compete in that class mainly because it would be cheap. Alyssa would most likely compete too but that would only be two of us. I don't think many of you have a stock truck to participate in a stock class...? The rules would have to be very strict for a stock class to keep things interesting and cheap. If your truck didn't fall into the rules then you would get bumped into the "mod" class. But.....

I think we only have enough people for one class.... Which should definitely follow USRCCA rules; going by are own NDRCRC rules would not make sense. Not saying it was a bad idea but I think that in this case we need to follow USRCCA rules.

Tony get your panties out of a bunch....! Haha.
packerfan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

I have not gotten a baby truck yet but I would say if there are National rules we need to follow those. If every club in the U.S. had differrent rules for crawling or racing it would make it awfully hard to cross the borders to go and have some fun elsewhere. I will probably get one of these trucks and mod it, that is half the fun of this hobby anyway.

If you want a beginner class just HAVE a beginner class. My oldest daughter and I used to race and she was a Great beginner class racer. Her RC10 buggy was modified pretty nice and she kicked butt. Move her up a class and she did not fair too well. My point being a Beginner class is just what is says, "beginner"....

As far as crawling goes I think we were all beginners at the start of this summer, I know I was and probably still am....

Just my 3 cents...HaHa, I have more cents than you Andy
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
Count me out of this. I run all over and I'm not going to set mine up for this when the rest of the clubs who's events I attend are running the National rules. Looks Like I'll be running more MN comps at Taylors Falls next season. Take care guys it was fun while it lasted.

Jason
Thats sounds a bit harsh. A simple ' lets just stick to USRCCA rules because some of us play with other clubs ' would have sufficed. I know I don't have the luxury of traveling all around to different crawling events and I loose sight of that fact. I forget other people can and do. If I got carried away, I apologize to anyone offended. If you really feel that way, your right it was fun while lasted. I honestly wish you well.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post

Jason
The thing about this is that every thing that's written about the rules is just ideas, so don't make desicions out of anger or an idea, also were here for one thing and that's to have fun. And I think thats what I needed to remember more than anything, sure it's nice to win but in the end what good is winning if nobody that you compete against likes you.
So let's do it from USRCCA rules, but with the potential to run a begginer class I think rick's truck is still bone stock, Casey that lives in minot has a pretty much stock truck, and I think my little brother will get one sooner or later and his will stay basically stock.
So there's three right there plus andy right?
Just my.10 cents (sorry all I had was a dime.)
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder7845 View Post
The thing about this is that every thing that's written about the rules is just ideas, so don't make desicions out of anger or an idea, also were here for one thing and that's to have fun. And I think thats what I needed to remember more than anything, sure it's nice to win but in the end what good is winning if nobody that you compete against likes you.
So let's do it from USRCCA rules, but with the potential to run a begginer class I think rick's truck is still bone stock, Casey that lives in minot has a pretty much stock truck, and I think my little brother will get one sooner or later and his will stay basically stock.
So there's three right there plus andy right?
Just my.10 cents (sorry all I had was a dime.)
I don't have one yet.... But there's a good possibility of me having one for next summer.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Andy, don't wait until next summer. There will be a whole winter of indoor crawling in Bismark. By the summer you and Alica could be top level contenders.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Andy, don't wait until next summer. There will be a whole winter of indoor crawling in Bismark. By the summer you and Alica could be top level contenders.
Dido, and get her one now while she still likes it.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #38

Quote:

I'm pretty much done buying new crawlers this year... Snowmobiling season is just around the corner; that gets expensive.. fast.

BTW its "Alyssa" haha.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Alyssa, Alica, chicka, whatever it is. We all know who it is. Where do you ride. Is it around here, or buy the lakes area. Let me know, I am always looking for someone to go riding with.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

I think thunder7845 hit the nail on the head....it is just for fun, if you win what do you win???

Run by the USRCCA rules and have a rookie class....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote