Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Anyone Have Trouble With Thier Graplers ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone Have Trouble With Thier Graplers ?

anyone have troubles with their grappler bodies ?

when i 1st got it and painted it i put shoe goo aournd the body post holes as i always do and the paint peeled off like a week later in that area. you can see more about that here...

PAINT PEEL.......on my new grappler

the few times i have run it it has cracked in the upper fron and around the body post holes.

today i was trimming it and the paint started flaking off around the wheel wells.

now as always i washed the body with dish detergent before i paint and wipe clean and let air dry. i then use scotch blue masking tape and pactera paint. i never had this problem before.

theres only four things i can think of..

1,i didn't get off all the detergent (i would think this would effect how the paint looked but it didn't if its the case)

2,the paint was bad but why is the body cracking ?

3, the body cracked because the couple of times i ran it was about 35 degrees out ??

4, something wrong with lexan ?

oh well. just wonder what you guys think or if you have had any problems.

Last edited by twisted; 03-16-2008 at 07:44 PM.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

More details?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have had problems with fluorescent paint and shoe goo in the past the two don't mix. But my Grappler has been rock solid.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I have had problems with fluorescent paint and shoe goo in the past the two don't mix. But my Grappler has been rock solid.
Mine are Rock Solid too.

No issues with paint. I have not used Shoe goo on mine. I normally use packaging tape to back the spots where the body posts are. Much easier.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the only issue i had was to slam it low enough on my blackjack i had to damn near remove the front fenders completely.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well if I read right you said you ran it outside when it was around 35 degrees. The only time I have ever had problems with my paint is when it's really cold outside. I have a grappler I just bought and have had it painted and installed and it hasn't cracked or has the paint peeled. I think the problem is the cold. I know when I was in auto collision we had a class on it and when it's really cold like that my teacher said the paint and plastic get brittle so that could explain your problems!!!

I hope I helped and correct me if I'm wrong.

Justin
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

thanks justing , most likely you are rite.

the only think that makes me wonder about htat is like tonight when i trimmed off the fenders a bit and the paint chipped off.its been in my work room for idk 2 weeks and my work room is in my house.

maybe i have a problem where its more then one cause. like the cold and bad paint ?

thanks guy for your replies.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sounds like you laid it on too thick to me. That would explain the excessive chipping.

Cracking lexan is just from rolling over/stress etc.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have a grappler that the paint dont whant to stick to either but I used spaztik paint the body was washed with soap and water and the spaztik cleaner the paint actuly started to peel before it was used the temp was between 60&70 degrees.This is the first time this has happend to me.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Sounds like you laid it on too thick to me. That would explain the excessive chipping.

Cracking lexan is just from rolling over/stress etc.
i would agree with you if that was the case but this is like the 15th year ive been into the hobby and ive been painting for just as long and know the light coats are the way to do it.

i know you had no way of knowing that but thought i should let ya know as i don't think that is the reason. honestly i don't know what the reason is or was.

dont get me wrong , ive had paint peel or chip off before but theres always been a reason for ,atleast one i could see. this one has me baffled.

i wanted to see if anyone one else has had similar problems with their grappler's but it appears not so im sure its got to be bad paint or user error.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

For a little extra protection I would also scuff the body a bit with a Scotch-Brite pad.
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote