Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Need a good way to remove decals from New Bright body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

I use a heat gun too!!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Im' not trying to recycle this thread but let me narrow ny question, If I can get the paper part of the sticker off almost anything will work to remove the residue of the glue. I have spent hours to remove them and make no head way. These stickers are about 10" long and 3" high the length of the body and then the ones on the hood are about 3 x 5. They cover almost the intire truck. I need something strong enough to loosen the paper so it can be removed then I can attack the leftovers. As you can see in the pic all the flames and lettering are stickers. The body was molded in some kind of two color process in that the front is black on the inside and outside and the same goes for the red. It might look neat if the stickers were gone and nothing else was done but I'm pretty shure that it wont and will be painting it a solid color or real world paint scheme. But can't do that until those f&^%$()* stickers are off!
Attached Images

jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Aliphatic hydrocarbon
works wonders ...spray it on ,leave it for 30-40 min and then rub away with a soft plastic spatula ...forget acetone/alcohol and thinners

Last edited by TheHeadHunter; 04-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #24
RCC Addict

http://www.novatio.com/content/media...20%20-%202.pdf

http://www.mykal.co.uk/data-sheets/D..._Degreaser.pdf

the stuff is used in degreaser some are specifically made for sticker removal but I'm not sure about brands in the US...

note: get ready to scrub really hard with that spatula but I guarantee you at the end you will end up with a smooth surface with zero gooey leftover glue smudges (don't expect any miracles it wont melt it off without the hard rubbing with the spatula) ,

Last edited by TheHeadHunter; 04-20-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I just used a hair dryer to heat the stickers up and then peeled them off of my FJ Cruiser. It left barely any residue, but what it did leave behind I used Goo Gone and it got rid of it all with no damage to the body. I've used this stuff on a bunch of body with no ill effects.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
Goo Gone is nothing more but citric juice and fish oil.
jamesbernatchez ...man didnt you notice that over half the posts were about Goo Gone? ...your not removing such big ass stickers with citric juce
Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadHunter View Post
jamesbernatchez ...man didnt you notice that over half the posts were about Goo Gone? ...your not removing such big ass stickers with citric juce
I call BS I have. have you tried? I am pretty sure james did notice half the thread was about goo gone and he knows that it will work just like others have stated.
I have removed stickers from other new bright bodies and never had much problem. I dont even use a heat gun ever I usually just wipe them down with goo gone wd40 whatever is close and then peel with finger nail.. it is not real hard but some trucks do take more time.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I call BS I have. have you tried? I am pretty sure james did notice half the thread was about goo gone and he knows that it will work just like others have stated.
I have removed stickers from other new bright bodies and never had much problem. I dont even use a heat gun ever I usually just wipe them down with goo gone wd40 whatever is close and then peel with finger nail.. it is not real hard but some trucks do take more time.
Thats exactly what I was getting at. My first few hard bodies I just used the goo gone to soften the stickers and then peeled them away a few minutes later. Then I used it again to attack the rest of the residue.

To the topic creator - I know you said you tired soaking it in warm water but have you tried a heat gun/hair dryer? Many people have offered this suggestion and I can pretty much assure you that it will be able to get the stickers off as it will heat the sticker and begin to melt the glue holding it on.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #29
I joined the Band!

Im thinking this guy has something against heat or something.. A blow drier would have had these decals off in about 5-7 minutes.. Like everyone else has said above.. Any left over residue, take it off with goo gone. But I guess if he wants to try everything else besides what works first, let him.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
RCC Addict

soak it in water with dishwasher soap, then use a razor to take the stickers off
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #31

Man, you`d think you guys were re-inventing the Wheel here or something. Its really not that hard.
Soak the body for 10 minutes or so in some hot water, peel off the paper top of the Decal. It may or may not leave some of the underlayer behind. If it does just scrape it off with your fingernails, you can use a Razorblade if you want to but you stand a big chance of ruining the bodies finish and cutting your fingers off if your not able to do such a simple task in the first place. Use WD-40, Goof-off, or any other adhesive remover that wont melt plastic, NOT ACETONE. Give it a good bath in hot soapy water to remove any residue left over by the adhesive remover then put the body back on a go break your new toy.

If soaking the body in hot water doesnt bother the top coat of the decal then chances are its a plastic or vinyl decal and in that case just peel the dam thing off and remove the leftover adhesive by soaking the entire body in a vat of Acetone.
A.R.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Don't own a heat gun and the useless "mans" hair dryer i have wont do shi* either! I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel just don't want to spend the next six weeks peeling these fu**ing stickers off. Everybody here has had some really good ideas but I'm not going to go out and buy every product mentioned. I will not use a high solvent based product in fear of damageing the body. As far as the citrus based chems like the goo gone, Don't have any on hand but will go out and get some this week, It has many other uses so I wont be waisting my money. I will give the bathtub another try tommorrow and this time not just let it soak and try to attend to it more. Just for some FYI, these stickers are very stubborn, almost to the point of industial strength. I haven't had this much trouble with a stupid sticker ever before.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #33
I joined the Band!

Are you going to repaint the body afterwards? Since you dont have a hair drier or the removing stuff, Id say put it in really hot soapy water and scrub on the decals with a wash cloth.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Yes it will be painted afterwards. Whaen it was manufactured it was done in a two color transition black and red. Where the colors meet is diagonaly from bottom front of the door to the top of the bed just behind the back window. The colors kinda bleed into each other then a clean line and just not my style. I will probably break out my HVLP detail gun and paint with some Auto paints and clear coat.

I didn't mean to come of as a jerk on my last post. But this was getting a little heated and wanted to nip it quick. When I get these off I'll post up some results and what I used and what worked or not, How's that!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Ok their off! Sokeing in the tub once more with me making prunes of my fingers for about 45 minutes was what it took. Then I used the Goo Gone to remove the last of the residue and leftover paper. That took at least another 30 minutes! That left the body with a real bad greasy look and feel that I wasn't comfortable leaving alone so I washed it in with some dishsoap and dryed it with a basic hand towel. After I let it sit for a couple hours I desided to take a red ScotchBright pad to the outside to scuff up the body to take out some of the sctratches and start the first level of body work. The Goo Gone was still strong enough to soften the original paint, even after the wash, when I got done with the scuffing most of the black was scuffed into the red. This wont be a problem because it will be primerd an painted later. By the way, I was wrong about the two color molding, there was so much over spray on this thing thats what it looked like, Oops, my bad!

As far as product review....
Goo Gone - Safe enough for residue removal if cleaned up prombtly afterward but not safe enough to not harm any factory finish on the hard plastic body.

Hot water soak - The only way to safetly soften the original decals. Any other methode would have been to damaging to the plastic, including the heat gun, I think it would have been to hot. Those things are hot enogh to melt stuff!

Heat gun/ hair dryer - As I just said about the heat gun the opposit goes for the hair dryer. The model I have didn't do squat on high.

When this project finaly come to be a true ride I will post a full thread of its build. I have taken a few pics but none that pertain to this subject. Thanks for all help guy's!