Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Need a good way to remove decals from New Bright body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need a good way to remove decals from New Bright body!

I have a Dodge ram 1/6 scale New Bright body and would like to remove the cheap stickers on it without damaging the body. I have the thing in the bathtub under some hot soapy water and they are softening but progress is not very promising. I don't want to use anything that will leave any damageing effects so anybody got any suggestions?
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

goof off takes them right off any orange citrus cleaner that is strong will do it and not hurt the plastic.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Hot water works well for removing the decal ,they`re paper, then use WD-40 on the adhesive.
A.R.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

WD-40 rocks.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Goo Gone works fantastic as well... and it smells good too...:-P
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I used a heat gun on mine ... you can use a blow dryer as well.

once you get the paper off you can use acetone (fingernail polish remover), brake parts cleaner or goo gone to get the remaining goo off.

Last edited by Locked Up; 04-16-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Goo Gone
TeamDeweyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Put a blow drier on there, then peel them off with a tweezers. If theres any adhesive left use goo gone to get rid of it.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm kinda afraid of the Goo Gone of Goof Off stuff. I have seen it it leave terible marks on plastic dashboards over the years. The WD40 sounds a little better but the same goes for the acetone, I think it will leave me with to much "burn" after rubbing the stickers off. I don't own a heat gun but always thought I should so maybe the warden will let me buy one and try a little heat, the hair dryer was only working as good as the bathtub.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Custom Carbon Fiber

peel the face of the sticker off then use some window W/ammonia in it. everytime i had to pull tints off my car windows i had to use windex with ammonia to get the glue residue off.

hair drier will help soften the glue up though.

gonna take some finness but work with it. you can also clean the body with some Bolink Body Wash ( if its still around and you can find it ) and that will help take any last bit of residue off.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Rubbing Alcohol
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #12

I would say that using any chemical like acetone, laquer thinner, or goo be gone you run the risk of damaging the plastic and/or any paint underneath. I have found that the low-tech method of removing the sticker with the use of your fingernail followed up by the sticky tape adhesive removal is the best. What is the "sticky tape adhesive removal" you ask? Again, super low-tech. Just peel off some sticky duct or packing tape then repeatedly stick this to the offending adhesive. It might take a number of applications, but you end up with a perfect surface while not affecting the paint nor the plastic. Sometimes a bit of patience is required, but it saves time in the long run, and perhaps quite a lot of frustration(been there!).

As an aside, I have found the New Bright stickers to come off quite well without the use of water. Water just serves to soften the paper integrity/strength and not allow a potential initial clean-as-can-be removal.

Being patient and careful are the real keys to success. Cheers.
T2NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
WVB
Quarry Creeper

As previously posted heat will be your best friend... Use a hot gun or your typical blow dryer in one corner. Peel it up and shot hot hair, peel, hot air and peel. Simple...
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #14

I would especially stay away from the Acetone. Your guaranteed it will destroy the Paint and Plastic...just bad advice.
As T2NUT said, stay away from any harsh chemical that is a paint remover. Even Goo-gone can be harsh on plastics, thats why I use WD-40, I`ve never had a problem with it. Sometimes low-tech is best.
A.R.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Ditto on using the WD-40 to remove the glue

BUT

Make sure that you clean the body REALLY good before you paint. I learned this the hard way when the paint would not dry because of the WD-40 residue left on the shell!!!
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I know all about silicone and paint, thanks though. Well as an update I left this thig in the bath tub for 4 hours and thought I had made some progress that I could get back to at a later date. Boy! Was I wrong. Only the stickers that I had removed before setting it aside were the ones to be removed. The water/soap Idea was almost useless. I want something to take the sticker off! I know that the glue residue will take aditional effort but at least I can takee the first step. The residue wont be as hard as the stikers themselves, it will be exposed to my labor at that time.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2NUT View Post
I would say that using any chemical like acetone, laquer thinner, or goo be gone you run the risk of damaging the plastic
Goo Gone is nothing more but citric juice and fish oil.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
yep which is why I suggested it to. I have used it allot on hard plastic bodys and never ever had any problems.. I have used the wd40 method as well and it works to for the glue residue. but doesnt really make the stickers lift off. some of the toy bodies have super duper stickers that dont want to come off. you may just have to do it the hard way with a finger nail and some time. then use your cleaner of choice for what is left.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
Guess I was thinking of Goof Off by Plasti-Kote Inc.. Nasty stuff that "damages many plastics, worn vinyl floors and some automotive paints." Don't use in enclosed spaces,WHEW!
T2NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Goof off is indeed evil. Anyone got an extra sock and plastic baggy? Ronosol or Zippo lighter fluid work fantastic. I've been using that for years to remove adhesive from Laptops and computers in general. Very safe stuff for plastic. eats adhesive for lunch...
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote