Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: airbrush is spraying cobwebs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

Default airbrush is spraying cobwebs

my airbrush all of a sudden is spraying cobweb looking overspray. i cant get it to go away. it looks like it is cobwebs or chunks of stringy dust in the overspray. is my brush bad or what.
KYScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYScorpion View Post
my airbrush all of a sudden is spraying cobweb looking overspray. i cant get it to go away. it looks like it is cobwebs or chunks of stringy dust in the overspray. is my brush bad or what.
•Dried paint on needle tip (Tip-Dry)
•Pigment build-up in needle cap
•Air pressure too low
•Pigment too thick
•Dirty airbrush
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

^
and also
old paint
wrong thinner ( type , or temp )
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #4

thanks. whats the best psi for faskolor
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYScorpion View Post
thanks. whats the best psi for faskolor
I almost exclusively use faskolors.
Psi varies depending on how much you thin it as well as the colors. Some are thicker than others. Pearles are thicker, transparents are thinner. I find myself mostly shooting at a 35-40 psi.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

I KNEW this was gonna be tied with FasKrap paint.. Try Pactra.. Or Spaz. Best paint out there, with ALOT less troubles.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
I KNEW this was gonna be tied with FasKrap paint.. Try Pactra.. Or Spaz. Best paint out there, with ALOT less troubles.
Nothing at all wrong with Parma paints. Like with anything else, you just gotta take the time to learn it.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i've had old pactra do it before, get new paint, thats my best advice it shouldnt be doing that
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My experience using non-water based paints is that t's too thick or a dirty brush when it cob-webs. I have tried to like the Faskolor, but I just can't. I'm going back to Pactra....I have sooo much more control of my work with it.
Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #10

thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Mikey, I got to agree with Knoc I've had very different outcomes using fascolor paint. I even bought the Parma video on how to use the paint system. What a waste of money talk about ripping people off stay away from the video it has no information. I'm done with fascolor there isn't anything I like about it. (shooting, pulling tape the soft quality and lack of durabiliy). Your work looks awesome and you have it down but I just can't get there with Parma paint.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #12

the paint im using is pactra racing finsh acryl. i was asking about faskolor because i got some on the way. do i need to thin the pactra any to spray it?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

yup you got an old batch of pactra, basically the paint is already starting to bond to its self in the bottle when you spray it out through your gun its linking the particals as soon as it hits the air and then drags out little cobwebs. try the faskolor at about 40-50 psi you can reduce it with windex or fantastic and i've had good luck with water but soem people say not to others say use isopropyl alchohal either or there both cheap but faskolor does need to be reduced when spraying smaller blends and details

otherwise for basic color fill jobs it will get the job done

look in to spazstix line..

me i use the good stuff house of kolor made for 1:1 stuff
Old 04-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #14

I have been using faskolors for years and have had no problems and i spray at a low pressure(18-20psi). I just thin it with water so its a little thicker than water and it works great.
slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Ive been painting for a few years now(Id say around 8 or 9 years) and it seems like every bottle of Parma is different. But it ALWAYS seems to spray out very chalky and I get alot more sputters than I do with other paint. So I just stick with strictly pactra or spazstix. IMO these paints are ALOT better and alot less hassle. By the time a person is still trying to get the right consistancy to spray Parma paint (By having to thin it) you could be on your 2nd or 3rd color with painting with your ready to spray spaz or pactra. Just like everything else in the hobby, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ive been painting for a few years now(Id say around 8 or 9 years) and it seems like every bottle of Parma is different. But it ALWAYS seems to spray out very chalky and I get alot more sputters than I do with other paint. So I just stick with strictly pactra or spazstix. IMO these paints are ALOT better and alot less hassle. By the time a person is still trying to get the right consistancy to spray Parma paint (By having to thin it) you could be on your 2nd or 3rd color with painting with your ready to spray spaz or pactra. Just like everything else in the hobby, you get what you pay for.
Yep, and you get out of it what you put in to it...
but I respect your opinion Knoc and I appreciate you sharing it...
The end...

KYScorpion, have you had a chance to try any of the suggestions?
Keep us posted...

Last edited by CrawlerGraphics; 04-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Are you thinning the paint at all? If so what are you using? I know windex instead of water makes it spray better and dry quicker.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are you thinning the paint at all? If so what are you using? I know windex instead of water makes it spray better and dry quicker.
I use a 50/50 mix of Windex and alcohol...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Mikey, I got to agree with Knoc I've had very different outcomes using fascolor paint. I even bought the Parma video on how to use the paint system. What a waste of money talk about ripping people off stay away from the video it has no information. I'm done with fascolor there isn't anything I like about it. (shooting, pulling tape the soft quality and lack of durabiliy). Your work looks awesome and you have it down but I just can't get there with Parma paint.
But that's why there is CFXpaintworks. It for painters who want to learn to paint better, learn, grow, and encouragement. I can use both styles of paint ,its just a different approach to how you use it. Most laquers now are a straight outta the bottle make up. My big beef is I live in an aprtment and have Asthma, So playing with it though great to paint with causes all kinds of health issues I would rather avoid, That and my airbrushes last longer without all the thinner running through to clean them out. Parma's Faskolor (which by the way is associated with Testors and Pactra) is easy to use as long as you know how to use it. And not all the paints react the same in mixture. It depends on the paint! And thats for all paints anyways.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

yes but faskolor burns my eyes..... but on the same note i know a painter that uses cretex (basically faskolor) and does amazing work!