Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Aluminum panel forming how-to

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Aluminum panel forming how-to

Yes i finally got a how-to video done on my aluminum panels!! well at least how i form the metal around the molds.

I worn you they are long and boring but for those that wanted to know this is what you get!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbjIcrmm7Pw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKBlotVQilE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdFi5_reWSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRQCfgRMeA

for those who want more info on the truck, here is the build-up thread http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...35#post1916635

Last edited by Metal Masher; 07-29-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Hateraide

its great to finally see some videos great job
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Great "how to" video
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Great video, thanks for sharing Just read the build thread from start to finish. One word "AWSOME"!!!!!!
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

thanks guys! i was hoping they weren't to boring. once they were done i felt it was like watching paint dry, but that was just me i guess.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I wish I had time to watch all of these right now. Maybe over the weekend since it's gonna rain. Not boring at all if you ask me. Thanks for making the effort.

The aluminum comes on a roll like that? Watching you cut it w/ scissors, it's obviously thicker than standard kitchen stuff, but it still seems a little flimsy. How much material sourcing have you done? Is there anything available that is a little heavier?

I thought you made these out of disposable oven pans...

Last edited by THX_138; 04-22-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Man i need to see one of these rigs in person. Do you have any pic's of a finished truck? They do look like one roll and it all over.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I wish I had time to watch all of these right now. Maybe over the weekend since it's gonna rain. Not boring at all if you ask me. Thanks for making the effort.

The aluminum comes on a roll like that? Watching you cut it w/ scissors, it's obviously thicker than standard kitchen stuff, but it still seems a little flimsy. How much material sourcing have you done? Is there anything available that is a little heavier?

I thought you made these out of disposable oven pans...

Thanks for the comment! the stuff i use now is the same thickness as the disposable pans i was using before. it comes from Dick Blick, an art supply store.

it is flimsy at first but once it is formed the panels are very strong. check out vid #4 and you will see.

I can get it thicker but it starts getting to hard to mold and is very expensive. roof flashing is just to thick to mold but it does come in handy for structural pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
Man i need to see one of these rigs in person. Do you have any pic's of a finished truck? They do look like one roll and it all over.
i assume you live in Maryland, you should come up to one of our comps near York PA go here for more info: http://www.team-svsc.com/forum/

If you want to see an example, check out my comp truck: Comp tuber

it uses the same aluminum panels and stands up pretty good to the riggers of competition I replace the body about every 6 comps or so. it would last longer if i didn't beat the crap out of it the rest of the time between comps

Last edited by THX_138; 04-22-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

This post should be a sticky!!! Thanks for taking the time to make the videos!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice videos, thanks for taking to the time to upload them

Question for you though, have you tried doubling up the aluminum sheet to give the parts more strength? Do you loose the detail with the extra thickness? You can make them fairly quickly, so it might be worth a try to put some glue on two sheets, and go to work on them on the mold, after you have a nice finish, pull them off the mold and let the glue/ adhesive setup.

Or maybe try the same thing above except use a thinner sheet under the stuff you use now.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
thanks guys! i was hoping they weren't to boring. once they were done i felt it was like watching paint dry, but that was just me i guess.
LMAO!! thats hilarious. first off i'd like to thank you for taking your time to share your knowledge, most people are stingy with there "tricks of the trade". and also i give you props on your rides, i have seen the jeep and the "test rig" so far... i am trying to read them in chronological order. lol (yup i'm weird like that) i like how you keep them going and dont sell them, or leave them on the shelf. you really get to enjoy them. and i hope to accomplish something similar in time to your test rig chassis i think i will be brazing mine unless i can find and fund a mig. i have an arc welder but i dont think i can do it with that. its an old school big lincoln.

got some questions maybe you can help me with:

where you get your aluminum from? can you post a link? of the kitchen cooking pan or whatever and the roll that you are using in the vidz. i dont shop for kitchen stuff really, i let the wifey handle that department.

how does it compare to... lets say a soda can - in thickness? alot thicker? a little? about the same? just trying to get an idea of what it is you are working with as i think i might give it a try. i have a good idea for a special use for something like this.
edwalsh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tutorial! You inspired me to give this a whirl! Went and dug up some aluminum, and went to town on a TJ that was from Wal Mart at one point.
First off, great instruction! I definitely agree that even this thick, and hard plastic body just doesn't cut it for the amount of pressure you need to apply.
Also, if you make molds I can see how much nicer it would be to have something o wrap the alum. around rather than just letting the edges overhang. Not to mention the ability to be able to hold your mold in your hand while working the aluminum into place.
By no means is this comparable to your work, but I have to say I am pretty pleased with it, considering it was my first attempt and I didn't really go about it the best way. Thanks again man! One of the most original things I have seen yet!!!!
By the way it is much easier than I though it may be. I'm sure it only gets more fun with a bit of practice.
Just absolutely insane man!
Attached Images

4mulaSvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18 View Post
LMAO!! thats hilarious. first off i'd like to thank you for taking your time to share your knowledge, most people are stingy with there "tricks of the trade". and also i give you props on your rides, i have seen the jeep and the "test rig" so far... i am trying to read them in chronological order. lol (yup i'm weird like that) i like how you keep them going and dont sell them, or leave them on the shelf. you really get to enjoy them. and i hope to accomplish something similar in time to your test rig chassis i think i will be brazing mine unless i can find and fund a mig. i have an arc welder but i dont think i can do it with that. its an old school big lincoln.

got some questions maybe you can help me with:

where you get your aluminum from? can you post a link? of the kitchen cooking pan or whatever and the roll that you are using in the vidz. i dont shop for kitchen stuff really, i let the wifey handle that department.

how does it compare to... lets say a soda can - in thickness? alot thicker? a little? about the same? just trying to get an idea of what it is you are working with as i think i might give it a try. i have a good idea for a special use for something like this.
I'm really sorry i didn't reply to this, It totally slipped my mind. better late than never huh?

fot the tooling foinf here is the link to it: http://www.dickblick.com/products/pu...-tooling-foil/

It is about the same thickness as an aluminum can but it is much softer and easier to form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulaSvaliant View Post
Thanks for the tutorial! You inspired me to give this a whirl! Went and dug up some aluminum, and went to town on a TJ that was from Wal Mart at one point.
First off, great instruction! I definitely agree that even this thick, and hard plastic body just doesn't cut it for the amount of pressure you need to apply.
Also, if you make molds I can see how much nicer it would be to have something o wrap the alum. around rather than just letting the edges overhang. Not to mention the ability to be able to hold your mold in your hand while working the aluminum into place.
By no means is this comparable to your work, but I have to say I am pretty pleased with it, considering it was my first attempt and I didn't really go about it the best way. Thanks again man! One of the most original things I have seen yet!!!!
By the way it is much easier than I though it may be. I'm sure it only gets more fun with a bit of practice.
Just absolutely insane man!
Thanks for the reply and i'm glad to see others trying there hand at this!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

First off this is awesome! but... how do you make your molds? i.e fender flares in particular?
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #15

Default great info

great videos, good info on how to
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

cool
mrgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
smr
Rock Stacker

very cool. Excellent vids btw. I dig the thin aluminum bodies show real damage.
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

hey what do you make your molds out of?? can you do a video of how its done??

im trying to think of a way to make a mold so i can form some aluminum body panels.. right now its either spend the long ass time carving them out of wood or using modeling clay. which one would you use?? i dont have a hard body to make a plaster mold that i can use..

im cutting up some templates out of cardboard right now of the panels... door, hood,bedside, fender etc of a 1979 Ford F150.

any help you can give me would be grealy appreciated!!thanks.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #19

Normal plaster won't work, it's too soft like chalk. You need to use a much harder plaster similar to dental stone. Merlin's Magic works really well, has excellent tensile strength and is workable similar to normal plaster of paris.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #20
RCC Addict

^^ thanks for the tip!

was thinking about using modeling clay but the only stuff i can find on it is people molding something (eg. a flower, skull etc) then baking it so its not really getting any pressure applied to it after its hardened... thats why im leaning towards carving the panels out of wood sanding it smooth then add a skiff of bondo and sand it smooth.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote