Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: did I just eff up my paintjob?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default did I just eff up my paintjob?

ok, so I sanded the hilux body and washed it, laid down a few coats of gloss black.. let that dry for an hr and then laid down the clear coat.. well It was cloudy, so I let that dry for an hr or so and hit it with another heavy base coat. I realized after reading the clear coat can that it said the coudyness should go away within 24hrs.. So my question is did I just eff up my whole paint job? will the clear i just based over harded more and make the new base coat crack? what would you do now?
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Nope..

Default Re: did I just eff up my paintjob?

I would personally wait it out and see what happens.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would think if it didn't lift the clearcoat (wrinkle up) withing 5-10 minutes your good to put some clear back over the basecoat once its dried up really well. I'd let if dry out good though before putting any more paint on it.
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

if you let the first coats of black flash off good between coats, you should be good to go. I would let it sit just to be safe and make sure its not too humid when you paint, that can also make the clear be cloudy
shake n bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Id personally strip it and start over.

Should always primer a styrene body (with actual model primer, auto primer is WAY too coarse).

You should wait a few days after you apply a base coat before you clear coat. This allows the base coat to "gas out" which can cause clear coat clouding up.

Thinner coats are always better, same works for clear coating too.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm with AG, I'd dunk it in superclean, scrub it good and start over.. Use a model car primer on it and do several light coats.. When you get to paint do the same, a couple of light coats.. You really don't need any heavy coats with primer paint or clear, just several light coats.. Also If your using spray cans, set them in a bowl of warm water before you use them, they spray a lot better, just dry them off good so you don't drip water on you body.
wes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG74683 View Post
Id personally strip it and start over.

Should always primer a styrene body (with actual model primer, auto primer is WAY too coarse).

You should wait a few days after you apply a base coat before you clear coat. This allows the base coat to "gas out" which can cause clear coat clouding up.

Thinner coats are always better, same works for clear coating too.
I've used auto primer on almost all of the bodies i've painted. A little wetsanding goes a long way before paint. Not only to level off any texture that the primer has but but it works great for eliminating any imperfections in the body. Waiting a few days between base/clear is ok on laquer but not much else. You will loose your chemical interlock of the paint and will chip off really easy. I've done auto repair for the last 13 years. The cloudy look to the clear could be like stated from to thick of coats or moisture in the air. If it is in fact laquer your using it will lock into the previous coats without problems but try lighter coats of paint but not enough on the clear end of it to make it feel like sandpaper lol.

Here is my MICRO jeep cj painted with auto primer, base coat and clearcoat. All Sikkens urethane's.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3431/buildoff11003.jpg
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4...ildoff1011.jpg
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

ok........ so I'm so ****ing pissed off right now its not even funny.... Origionally when I hit the clear with the base again it turned out perfect. I should have just left it at that and not touched the god damn thing. I let it sit for a day and decided to hit it with clear today just to finish off the body.. Well it instantly crinkled up.... eff... so i sanded the parts down that crinkled and tried to spray a base.. same thing.. crinkled... ok... so waited for 8hrs and then sanded down THE WHOLE BODY again.. not down to the original color but down so that it made the paint flat black instead of gloss.. So I rinsed off the body and let it dry for a little and also went over it with a towel to help it dry.. Well I sprayed the base again and it crinkled up the whole pass side of the body.. The opposite side that had the problem before... But this time it was way bad... idk what to do.. I'm so ****ing pissed off its not even funny.. I just wasted a couple hrs sanding the damn thing just to have the paint do the same thing... idk what to do but I am running out of ideas as to why it did it again with the base.. I cant pull the grill or the windshield out of the truck because the cage is in the cab and wount let me get the windshield out. The grill is shoe goo'd in. idk.. I am using the krylon fusion "plastic"paint.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

well I just spent the last 2 hrs scrapping off all the old paint.. gonna sand it down tomorrow and buy some different paint and go from there.. any recommendations on the paint I should use?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Custom Carbon Fiber

Your in Utah ...... what was the temperature when you painted it.

Ive had clear coat do that to me before. Id try wet sanding it down and let it dry really good. Try hitting it with some light coats of clear in a warm area. Let the coats breath inbetween, give them some time to dry.

If you strip it then try letting your base colors sit over night to breath. When I modded computer cases I had these problems. I figured it was the base coats trying to breath and the clear farging it up.

I started letting my paint sit for a day or two and then wet sand them with 5000 paper. After that I could lay some clear and it didnt fog up on me.

Good luck!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCrawler View Post
I've used auto primer on almost all of the bodies i've painted. A little wetsanding goes a long way before paint.
Yeah, wetsanding it will do the trick. I just found it easier to use something like Tamiya primer because it lays on so smooth you don't need to sand.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Any ideas on what exact brand and type of paint to use? I'm getting ready to try painting it again and don't want the same problems again.

did I just eff up my paintjob? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EFF the Cable Company (HELP) binaryterror Chit Chat 10 12-05-2011 01:03 AM
Eff Three Fiddy Foxracin Axial SCX-10 52 09-20-2009 10:07 PM
SCX Eff Three Fiddy Foxracin Scale Videos! 4 06-30-2009 05:03 AM
What tha eff is dig? dirty 5-thirty Newbie General 7 03-25-2009 08:15 PM