Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: paint separating from proline body...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default paint separating from proline body...

i painted my cherokee body and when it gets hit or maybe flexes a good amount the paint pulls its self away from the body.

what can i do to fix it?
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: paint separating from proline body...

Did you use the correct paint? There is a lexan specific paint that flexes with the body and doesn't crack and peel off.I use testors/pactra and Parma lexan body paints with excellent results.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
i painted my cherokee body and when it gets hit or maybe flexes a good amount the paint pulls its self away from the body.

what can i do to fix it?
I had a body do this recently and so did a buddy. This both happened on HPI bodies and we both used lexan paint, and washed/dried the bodies before painting them. Id like to know what i can do to avoid this as well. Ive painted at least 16 lexan bodies in the past and no issues till now
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Fan of wheelspeed

Use a green scouring pad or some steel wool on the inside of the body. Lightly rub down the inside, then wash it and once dry paint. Dont go nuts with the scrubbing, just go over it. You wont be able to see any discoloration thru the lexan.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

spidernad helped me out. i didnt know about the polycarbonate paint i had used tamiya plastics paint. i guess now i have to wait and just buy a whole new body
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you can use dot4 brakecleaner to remove it.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Dot4 will work but a big PITA. IMO spend the $35 on a new body with the proper paint/prep methods. I wash with soap and steelwool, dry, rescuff with red scotchbrite, windex, wipe dry and paint. My steps may be a bit over the top but I have yet to get even 1 crack or flake off on any lexan body I prepped this way. Im just starting to mess with the hardbodies which are a completely different beast with prep and paint. Good luck
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Paint the outside with polycarbonate paint?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Lexan bodies are typically painted on the inside but I have done both ways. 1 great look is a silver on the inside with whatever color you choose for your rig on the outside. When the outside gets scraped up it gives the appearance of the sheetmetal under the paint because of the silver on the inside of the lexan body.
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I've had certain Pactra paints peel off. For example, there are some of the fancy colors that you back with backing black or backing white. Well, it turns out that those aren't' as flexible or sticky as the regular paint and they peel a little. I had spots where I wanted the black and just used backing black. I don't recommend doing that. If you need black, just spray black over the other color and don't worry about the backing black.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I've had certain Pactra paints peel off. For example, there are some of the fancy colors that you back with backing black or backing white. Well, it turns out that those aren't' as flexible or sticky as the regular paint and they peel a little. I had spots where I wanted the black and just used backing black. I don't recommend doing that. If you need black, just spray black over the other color and don't worry about the backing black.
Thin coats not thick. I use both backing whites and blacks along with sprint white and outlaw black. Have used all candies.... Metalics and color shifting paints.... Every pactra paint. Had no issues. I clean twice on all bodies.... Pre heat with blow dryer.... Dust out all coats etc etc. Been painting bodies for over 10 years...... From can and air brush. None of the paints are flexable...... They just adhere to the lexan. So thin coats will allow it to bend without cracking or flaking. Not really flexable per say. Just ahered to lexan. Hope that helps you out. And you don't need to paint till you can't see through it with light. This is why it ends up too thick.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I think the backing paint are a little different than the regular stuff though. I think they are intended to stick to paint and not to lexan. Either way, I do what you said 99% of the time. It's that 1% of the time you're distracted for some reason and mess it up
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I don't think there is a difference in what they stick to but if you shoot on each of the outlaw black and backing. You will see that the outlaw is more transparent than the backing.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote

paint separating from proline body... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Body paint or model paint in a can ??? luv2ridemx Paint and Body 7 07-10-2011 07:40 PM
anybody ever paint the inside of a body with reg. paint? 2500hdon37s Paint and Body 9 05-25-2010 09:28 PM
Need Some Help Separating Leaf Spring rcr3fan29 General Scale Talk 3 01-12-2007 05:42 PM