Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: painting inside or outside of body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Default painting inside or outside of body

I've painted several bodies and have read a lot of FAQ on painting. I still wonder why people sometimes paint the outside of the body during builds. Is there a reason that is an advantage over painting the inside of the body. Or is it just being lazy?
eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: painting inside or outside of body

Painted inside;

Painted outside;

I did mine like that so when the woodlands camo got scraped off, it would reveal the FasChrome still stuck to the inside of the body and resemble a 'scratched down to bare metal' effect. (down to fiberglass in the case of the top) Some guys will do the same with a copper colored paint to simulate rusty metal.
All the rest of my other paint jobs for my other RCs have been done on the inside. (never done a hardbody, always clear ones)

Although laziness could potentially be afoot, there may also be those one or two that just don't know that they can paint on the inside.
Could be just some newbs don't have a helping hand to walk 'em through the process 'cause all the 'kool-kids' in their area do it on the outside, and they just wanna fit in.
Or, if they're running a body they really don't like and the wife's onto them about their spending, rather than abandon an unpainted body, one may do a shoddy paint job on the outside so it'll get trashed sooner and they can justify getting a new body once it starts lookin' ugly.
Some know it's just going to get trashed at a comp, and just don't feel the need to invest much time in a body they don't expect to survive the weekend.
I know I've made the mistake once of trying to paint a body... in the wintertime... in the upper midwest. Even though the body and spray can were in the house nice and warm, you'd be amazed how quickly fingers can freeze when you sprint out to the garage for a spray. (and how much paint frozen fingers can coax out of a rattle-can) Then had to wait for spring and paint the outside, which turned out just as bad.
And then there's those occasional few who do it on the outside even though, (or in spite of), everyone else tells 'em to do it on the inside.

People got all kinds of reasons for doing what they do. (shrug)
I try to maintain the attitude that it's their time & effort. So long a we don't have to put up with much more than a modicum of whining when it gets trashed, let 'em go.

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Painting on the outside was done for 2 different reasons. One they are painting a hard body which is opaque, so no choice but to paint on the out side.
Second is they want to create a dull, matt look. Here's one painted on the outside to get a weathered look
caci623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Fifth dimension

Caci623's lids are too sweet! I've always admired your stuff! Nothing important to add to the conversation. The only other reason why some paint the outside that I can think of is to paint the inside rust and the outside scale. That way as it scratches, rust is exposed.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote

painting inside or outside of body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
painting the body buckshot345 Paint and Body 3 01-14-2011 06:57 PM
Body Painting whanzich New Mexico 2 07-30-2009 09:26 AM
tips for painting inside black of hilift grill pantablo Paint and Body 5 06-25-2008 06:47 PM
painting a body NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 10 07-04-2007 08:10 PM