Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #1

Default quick question

Ok I have searched n searched n searched. Look in the sticky and read the entire page on painting a body. I am not the best in the world but I do have a question. The cracks in a real vehicle around the doors, hood, tailgate, etc. Do you just paint a thin line for that? If so do you use flat, gloss, or semi gloss? I have seen pics of some that had the lines painted on them and was just wondering the easiest way to do that.
tnspark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: quick question

A thin black sharpy after paint is complete will create the shadows of the body lines you are looking for. If it is a hardbody, make sure you are completely done... I have made the mistake of sharpy before clear coat and the clear reacted with the sharpy to create bleading of the sharpy.

Depending one the look you are after, a blackwash will also accentuate those body lines on a hard body.

lexan.... just use the sharpy on the outside.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 03-15-2015 at 08:50 AM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For lexan bodies, I use an Ultra-fine Sharpie. A small tissue with rubbing alcohol will make quick work of cleaning up any slips or do-over's, and won't harm the finish.

For hard bodies, I use water based artist acrylic. A paper towel dipped in water, will clean up the excess, but do it before it dries. Works great and looks really good and can be mixed to make it different colors. When it dries, it's rubbery plastic that is water proof. Just make sure to do it after the clear is applied, also works best on gloss...flat might not allow it to come off completely for oops unless it is done immediately.

Hope that helps.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

Thanks a lot for the replies!!! The body I am wanting to make look nice is lexan. I couldn't figure out the proper way to do that. The body I am painting is lexan and I will get a ultra fine sharpie and do it on the outside. I couldn't find if you was supposed to paint them on the inside or not. I ordered two bodies so I got at least on do over. LOL
tnspark82 is offline   Reply With Quote

quick question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick question irollgen4s Axial Wraith 30 06-02-2012 05:19 AM
quick question sam.oc235 Axial SCX-10 2 01-29-2011 06:47 PM
California Gun owners. Quick question, need a quick answer. Szczerba Chit Chat 8 11-23-2010 12:35 AM
Quick Question MoparMuddin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 04-30-2009 08:53 AM
Quick Question... asking for quick answer.. JeeperoManiako Electronics 0 10-13-2006 06:47 PM