Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: rattle can paint? Beige?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

Default rattle can paint? Beige?

First off new here and search has not given me any results that I can use for my application. I am doing a Jeep crawler and want a beige top but cant find anything even close to what I am looking for. My thought is OD Green body and Beige top, you can see where this is going. This will be my first attempt to paint a Lexan body so all help is greatly appreciated.
GOVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: rattle can paint? Beige?

Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear first, let dry at least 24 hours. Then get a can of Testor's or Rustoleum Flat Tan or Beige. The only way that a flat will show as flat on a lexan body is to paint on the outside.

My suggestion, is to use a scrap piece of lexan to test this out on, so you're not ruining a $40 or so body. I've used this combination before, and it works. Have to lay down a Polycarbonate paint first, because it's flexible. I paint my trucks on the outside, so I know it works.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I just have one question can I do the flat clear on the outside and then the color inside?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't see why not, if you want the whole Jeep to have a flat color to it, then yes, but you'll have to trim around the windows with a sharp x-acto knife, and peel up the outer protective plastic on the body and roof, leaving it on the windows until after you paint. The polycarbonate paints, when sprayed on the outside, will have a flat finish anyways.

Are you talking about painting the top on the outside, and the green on the inside, OR paint both colors on the inside, and then overspray the outside with the Flat Clear, to get the flat colors?

Whichever way you choose, you should take some of the excess plastic that you cut off from the body, to do a test spray, to see how you like it. Nobody likes to ruin a new body, so take your time, do a couple test sprays, and if you've never painted a body before, do light coats. Several light coats, will always look better on a finished project, than drips from spraying too thick.

When I spray a lexan body, it usually takes me a minimum of 2 days. If you spray light coats, they dry quicker than 1 thick coat. First coat should be a mist, just to add a tint to the lexan, once it dries in 10 or 15 min, do another coat. Use this procedure until all the color fills in, then let it sit for 24 hrs before you do your second color, IF it's on the same side of the lexan.

I use blue or green masking tape to mask, other guys swear by the liquid paint mask, that you'll have to figure out for yourself.

Good luck!, and I can't stress it enough, to do a test spray before you attempt the actual body. Hope to see pics of your finished paint job
Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Something like this color?

If so this is krylon ultra flat camo khaki sprayed onto scuffed lexan my daughter has beat this body hard and only scratched and put a few small chips in it
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Mike Flea, My thought at this time is to do all the color's on the inside and then a flat clear coat on the outside and some ghost flame and POW MIA designs in satin. I have sprayed a lot with HVLP gun setups on furniture so I am hoping the skills I have will transfer to this project, we will see LOL.

scalemadness, Thanks for the reply but that is to much toward a tan color than the beige I am looking for. I was hoping someone could point me to a supplier that has something in a rattle can but I can't find the colors I want that will work with the Lexan.

Just trying to go on the low $$ side for something I will not use a lot but looks like I may have to get an air brush and mix my own colors to get the results I want and do it the wright way. That being said don't look for photos soon because it looks like I have a lot to buy to do this. I was hoping I had missed something in my search for colors and someone here with way more knowledge than me about where to get rattle can colors would point me to a supplier that has them.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Head over to your local Home Depot or Menards and see if they have a beige and/or OD Green color in Rustoleum for plastics. Use the Tamiya flat clear first on the inside, (poly paint against lexan), dry for 12 -24 hrs, then apply the colors on the inside. You can still overcoat the outside when you're done.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #8

Looks like that will be the way I will go on this. Thanks for all the help pointing me in the wright direction.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #9

Home Depot has some plastic paint that works great in of and beige
Piranha_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 AM   #10

Or this color
poebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That's a hardbody, he was looking for polycarbonate paint for a Lexan body, 2 different creatures
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Has anyone ever tried SEM Color Coat on lexan? I've used it to recolor the carpet in my car (along with the headliner and sunvisors) Stays flexible and the fabric didnt get super stiff (though it was a little stiffer than stock) I have a half a can of Landeau Black in my garage, but dont have any lexan to test it on ironically. Thing is, it's available in like 40 different OEM colors.

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish...oattm-aerosols

http://stillvisionstudios.com/camaro...em_reorder.jpg - Color chart for the aerosols.

Im getting back into the hobby this week, have a Deadbolt on order and will be picking up a new body for it. Once I get the body, I will cut off some of the excess and test it out.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote

rattle can paint? Beige? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anybody make a rattle can paint the color of my Jeep? LeadFootCaliKiid Paint and Body 14 09-01-2014 03:33 AM
Looking for flat tan rattle can paint for lexan CHawk68462 Paint and Body 6 06-26-2013 02:56 PM
How can I remove rattle can paint from plastic.. KustomKreeper8606 Paint and Body 4 03-03-2013 11:32 AM
removing rattle can paint from clod body kickback_crawler Newbie General 3 03-06-2006 04:53 PM